• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
The fleet certainly is varied and is mostly designed around the timetable. I do have a few ideas which may come over time like a second 158 (replacing the 170) as you can couple 2 together on the new models for form a 4 car train and also maybe a Mk5 TPE set to go with he 68 which could form a fictional Exeter - Waterloo extension seeing as the timetable is based off Penzance and a loco hauled service.

The XC powercars have also got me interested as is you point out they did have the deflectors at some point and the previous Hornby model correctly had them. Looking at some more pictures last night it looks like they have been removed at some point as this picture below from last year like the model does not have them. Looking at the ex VTEC/LNER powercars as well they do not have the deflectors so this may be one of the differences between the 43/0 and 43/2's.IMG_20190609_163553.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Sounds cool! :)
That's interesting regarding the XC HSTs - as you say it's probably a difference between the various HSTs (and maybe operators/rolling stock companies as well). Weren't the deflectors installed as a result of the emissions of the Valenta engines? If so, I assume that VTEC/LNER/XC would have removed them when the engines went over to MTU power as they produce less clag?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The fleet certainly is varied and is mostly designed around the timetable. I do have a few ideas which may come over time like a second 158 (replacing the 170) as you can couple 2 together on the new models for form a 4 car train and also maybe a Mk5 TPE set to go with he 68 which could form a fictional Exeter - Waterloo extension seeing as the timetable is based off Penzance and a loco hauled service.

The XC powercars have also got me interested as is you point out they did have the deflectors at some point and the previous Hornby model correctly had them. Looking at some more pictures last night it looks like they have been removed at some point as this picture below from last year like the model does not have them. Looking at the ex VTEC/LNER powercars as well they do not have the deflectors so this may be one of the differences between the 43/0 and 43/2's.View attachment 81279
Well this is interesting, I hadn’t noticed that they’d been removed. I know a man that may be able to explain things here though.
Paging @43096, your knowledge is needed sir... ;)

On Moderation
Well this is interesting, I hadn’t noticed that they’d been removed. I know a man that may be able to explain things here though.
You called? :D

The removal of the exhaust deflectors was a Craigentinny depot thing and wasn't specifically an MTU re-engining mod - although the low emissions/fact MTUs only emit freshly-cut daisies or whatever did remove some of the need for the deflectors. I have heard it was after an OHLE trip out on the East Coast and the finger of blame was pointed at a passing HST set was what started it, although there were also apparently issues with fatigue cracking on the deflectors as well (which may be why GWR modified their deflectors). You'd need to refer to photos to find the original timeframe.

Anyone hoping this is the reason for the different 432xx numbering is going to be disappointed: the NMT power cars have lost their deflectors as well. The reality is the renumbering was done because East Coast wanted to nand other operators followed (or not). There is no logical reasoning behind it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was like ringing the Bat Phone. :lol:
The removal of the exhaust deflectors was a Craigentinny depot thing and wasn't specifically an MTU re-engining mod - although the low emissions/fact MTUs only emit freshly-cut daisies or whatever did remove some of the need for the deflectors. I have heard it was after an OHLE trip out on the East Coast and the finger of blame was pointed at a passing HST set was what started it, although there were also apparently issues with fatigue cracking on the deflectors as well (which may be why GWR modified their deflectors). You'd need to refer to photos to find the original timeframe.

Anyone hoping this is the reason for the different 432xx numbering is going to be disappointed: the NMT power cars have lost their deflectors as well. The reality is the renumbering was done because East Coast wanted to nand other operators followed (or not). There is no logical reasoning behind it.
Well that’s really interesting and exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for that.
I think I read about the OHLE trip out somewhere but I didn’t realise that there was a possible link.

Established Member

Thank you for the information. It is interesting how I first come across this from looking at a model and I have even seen the XC sets on a fairly regular basis.
I did think it was a East Coast thing (like the numbers) but I never knew that the deflectors were possibly removed because of the OHLE trips. That sort of thing would of never occurred to me.

northernbelle

They were removed due to cracking around the exhaust outlets leading to several incidents of the deflectors trying to make a bid for freedom.

The solution on the XC/EC cars was to remove the deflector and increase the cleaning regime for the front ends along with more regular repaints of the yellow front ends. It was around this time that the EC cars had their cab roofs painted black as part of the East Coast livery application to try and hide the dirt.

GWR went with a design mod to shorten the deflector so as not to run across the top of the exhaust outlets although its livery change also included a black cab roof to help hide the dirt.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They were removed due to cracking around the exhaust outlets leading to several incidents of the deflectors trying to make a bid for freedom.

The solution on the XC/EC cars was to remove the deflector and increase the cleaning regime for the front ends along with more regular repaints of the yellow front ends. It was around this time that the EC cars had their cab roofs painted black as part of the East Coast livery application to try and hide the dirt.

GWR went with a design mod to shorten the deflector so as not to run across the top of the exhaust outlets although its livery change also included a black cab roof to help hide the dirt.
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Established Member

Thank you for the extra information.

Established Member
Little more progress this weekend with some more ballasting around the entrance to the carriage sidings. The ballast train arrived this morning on the center road to allow the remaining two HST services to depart from platforms 1 and 2 afterwards the station was blocked off to allow the works to take place.
IMG_20200801_092749.jpgIMG_20200802_180921.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Looking good! It's always satisfying when the ballast is done and you've done a good job there from the looks of it. :)
I like the realism of having the ballast train coming in and blocking off the station - something I'm probably going to do when I get round to ballasting or whenever I do some work on the track.

-Peter

Established Member
I do feel it is coming along a bit now and and it is satisfying seeing areas come to life when they are completed. My next aimis to get some more of the town completed as there as some bits left to do behind the retraining wall. I also got the plate girders for the sides of the bridge at the weekend which once in place will hopefully bring it to life some more.

The ballast train just gives me an excuse to run the 68 and a freight train, over time I have just collected some random open wagons to produce a nice small rake.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Little more progress this weekend with some more ballasting around the entrance to the carriage sidings. The ballast train arrived this morning on the center road to allow the remaining two HST services to depart from platforms 1 and 2 afterwards the station was blocked off to allow the works to take place.
View attachment 81722View attachment 81723
What make are the retaining walls with the arches in the second photo?
They look really good and I meant to ask you a few weeks ago.

Peter C

Established Member
I do feel it is coming along a bit now and and it is satisfying seeing areas come to life when they are completed. My next aimis to get some more of the town completed as there as some bits left to do behind the retraining wall. I also got the plate girders for the sides of the bridge at the weekend which once in place will hopefully bring it to life some more.

The ballast train just gives me an excuse to run the 68 and a freight train, over time I have just collected some random open wagons to produce a nice small rake.
Sounds cool! :) A 68 on a freight train is always good - I've had several ideas for my Chiltern one on various workings with private owner wagons! I'm still planning out where my town buildings will go so seeing yours build up is really interesting.

-Peter

Established Member
What make are the retaining walls with the arches in the second photo?
They look really good and I meant to ask you a few weeks ago.
The retaining wall is metcalfe card kit. You get 4 sections per pack so I needed 3 packs for the area on my layout. Alot of the other buildings on the layout are also from metcalfe.
Sounds cool! :) A 68 on a freight train is always good - I've had several ideas for my Chiltern one on various workings with private owner wagons! I'm still planning out where my town buildings will go so seeing yours build up is really interesting.

-Peter
The 68 is always good as you can almost run any with anything now both passenger and freight. I don't think I will be adding any more buildings the town as it would make it a bit cluttered.

Established Member
Completed the bridge over the carriage sidings and main line exit/entrance last weekend.
1599247319271.png

Established Member
Looking good! How did you do that road surface? Looks brilliant. :)

-Peter
Thanks. :)

The road is part of this pack from scalescenes which you download as a PDF and then print onto card as much as you like! I then added the metcalfe pavement down each side.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks. :)

The road is part of this pack from scalescenes which you download as a PDF and then print onto card as much as you like! I then added the metcalfe pavement down each side.

Ah OK - thanks! :D Looks very interesting. I've already got the Metcalfe paving stones so I think roads should be fairly simple.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@43055 - Looking really good and I agree with Peter that the road looks great.

Established Member
Ah OK - thanks! :D Looks very interesting. I've already got the Metcalfe paving stones so I think roads should be fairly simple.

-Peter
They are fairly simple as much as cutting the shape you want from card although the lines only come as straight pieces. Took a little work on the top part in the corner on my layout but I have a sloping ceiling and wall which isn't exactly 90 degrees to the layout!

@43055 - Looking really good and I agree with Peter that the road looks great.
Thank you :lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Very good effort with that bridge and road. Reminds me of the overbridge at Lancaster.

Peter C

Established Member
They are fairly simple as much as cutting the shape you want from card although the lines only come as straight pieces. Took a little work on the top part in the corner on my layout but I have a sloping ceiling and wall which isn't exactly 90 degrees to the layout!
Ah OK - I've worked with something similar before so hopefully I can get it to work when (if) I ever get round to doing the scenery :D

-Peter

Established Member
Very good effort with that bridge and road. Reminds me of the overbridge at Lancaster.
Thank you :).

Ah OK - I've worked with something similar before so hopefully I can get it to work when (if) I ever get round to doing the scenery :D

-Peter
Don't rush with the scenery. I just tend to so a little bit very now and then.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah nice. Looks like a good place to have a picnic. ;)

Established Member
Looks really good. Once I've built my layout, I need to learn how to do scenery!
Thanks. I have been learning the scenery as well and I find it good doing one section at a time and starting off with the larger items like roads or buildings. The buildings in the town section I found these at a exhibition pre made on a stall.

Cross country 43357 on hire to GWR after 43185 needed some attention today.
IMG_20201106_200518.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
Dale end lane advent calendar loco 1 (every other day from now until Christmas):
Class 08 08630 from Bachmann. I got this loco around 3 years ago from one of the events at Stafford Showground and is a brilliant runner which is geared for the slow shunting speeds and the detailing is brilliant. Most of the time it can be seen parked up around the station but it does occasionally come out to pull the sleeper stock into the station in the evening or as seen here take the tanker train round to the fuel point to unload.
IMG_20201202_161605.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.