• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
That’s very nice. It captures the real thing very well.
It does.

Dale End Lane advent loco 10: Dapol class 68's

Yes I have 2 of these beefy locos :lol: one in DRS and the other in TPE livery and most of the time they don't do much on the layout but I think they are worth having as you can almost running anything with them being a passenger and freight loco and are very detailed.
IMG_20201220_094004.jpg

Anyway here are just some general pics from yesterday. The first is 43357 and 43005 viewed through the station entrance and the other shows a 5 car 221 alongside the Cross Country HST waiting there departures.

IMG_20201220_094421.jpg
IMG_20201220_093856.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
It does.

Dale End Lane advent loco 10: Dapol class 68's

Yes I have 2 of these beefy locos :lol: one in DRS and the other in TPE livery and most of the time they don't do much on the layout but I think they are worth having as you can almost running anything with them being a passenger and freight loco and are very detailed.
View attachment 87427

Anyway here are just some general pics from yesterday. The first is 43357 and 43005 viewed through the station entrance and the other shows a 5 car 221 alongside the Cross Country HST waiting there departures.

View attachment 87426
View attachment 87425
I've got a Chiltern Class 68 and I can confirm that the Dapol 68s are excellent locos. Shame that Dapol's quality control doesn't seem to extend to all of their products (Class 121 I'm looking at you), but hey ho.
That photo looking through the entrance to the station is brilliant - I really like that kind of photo and having two HSTs in the shot makes it even better! The second photo is also really good - I've spent a lot of time around Voyagers and that model looks to be a lovely example of one. I found one second-hand online a while ago (it seemed to be a fairly reasonable price as well), but from what others have said, DCC fitting wasn't worth the hassle and so I'm staying away from Bachmann Voyagers for now.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I agree with Peter, that shot through the entrance looks really cool. The way the HSTs are lined up looks classic

Peter C

Established Member
I agree with Peter, that shot through the entrance looks really cool. The way the HSTs are lined up looks classic
That's a brilliant word to describe it, definitely! I can imagine BR using that as the start of a training video (with BR Blue Grey HSTs of course) :)

-Peter

Established Member
I've got a Chiltern Class 68 and I can confirm that the Dapol 68s are excellent locos. Shame that Dapol's quality control doesn't seem to extend to all of their products (Class 121 I'm looking at you), but hey ho.
That photo looking through the entrance to the station is brilliant - I really like that kind of photo and having two HSTs in the shot makes it even better! The second photo is also really good - I've spent a lot of time around Voyagers and that model looks to be a lovely example of one. I found one second-hand online a while ago (it seemed to be a fairly reasonable price as well), but from what others have said, DCC fitting wasn't worth the hassle and so I'm staying away from Bachmann Voyagers for now.

-Peter
Thanks. I agree that the 68's are excellent and the same can be said for two Dapol wagons that I have. I to have spent a lot of time around the voyagers and the 222's and am probably one of a few people which don't mind traveling on them! I can't comment on DCC fitting as mine are all DC but it might be worth Bachmann redoing the voyager seeing that the 150, 158 have been redone and the 170 is in the works.

Thanks. As Peter said it is a brilliant word to describe it.
That's a brilliant word to describe it, definitely! I can imagine BR using that as the start of a training video (with BR Blue Grey HSTs of course) :)

-Peter
Just for you here is 002 and 185 for a BR/Intercity period photo, or it could be 2019 with 2 GWR sets.
IMG_20201222_185058.jpg

Dale End Lane advent locos 11: SWT 170 and EMT HST

Turns out I have more than 12 locos so here is 2 today and 2 or more on Christmas Eve. Anyway here is my SWT class 170 and EMT HST which runs as a 2+4 to mimic the castle sets that GWR have although I do have enough coaches to make a 2+6 set just like the angel sets.

IMG_20201222_184011.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks. I agree that the 68's are excellent and the same can be said for two Dapol wagons that I have. I to have spent a lot of time around the voyagers and the 222's and am probably one of a few people which don't mind traveling on them! I can't comment on DCC fitting as mine are all DC but it might be worth Bachmann redoing the voyager seeing that the 150, 158 have been redone and the 170 is in the works.
I would definitely like to see a re-tooled Voyager, but only if for a reasonable price, but that's unlikely seeing how Bachmann like to charge high prices for units! I've never actually been on a Voyager (yet) but it's on the list of things to do when life returns to a form of recognisable normal!

Just for you here is 002 and 185 for a BR/Intercity period photo, or it could be 2019 with 2 GWR sets.
View attachment 87493
Now that looks really, really good. 43002 was probably my favourite GWR HST powercar because of its livery and its appearances on my local Cotswold Line and I'm still a fan of it now it's in the NRM. 43185 was also one of my favourites but I thought it seemed to be less well-maintained cosmetically towards the end of its service with GWR in comparison to 002 - it always seemed a bit dirtier - but I suppose that adds character and 'realism' to the BR livery!

Dale End Lane advent locos 11: SWT 170 and EMT HST

Turns out I have more than 12 locos so here is 2 today and 2 or more on Christmas Eve. Anyway here is my SWT class 170 and EMT HST which runs as a 2+4 to mimic the castle sets that GWR have although I do have enough coaches to make a 2+6 set just like the angel sets.

View attachment 87492
They look like really cool models - I quite like EMT livery because of its association with the SWT livery, which I saw lots when on holidays in the south-west. The 170 looks nice as well - I assume it's a Bachmann model?

-Peter

Established Member
I would definitely like to see a re-tooled Voyager, but only if for a reasonable price, but that's unlikely seeing how Bachmann like to charge high prices for units! I've never actually been on a Voyager (yet) but it's on the list of things to do when life returns to a form of recognisable normal!
Very true. They are good units when not to busy but when they are full they are not nice. 15 mins between Swindon and Chippenham is enough let alone 3 hours standing in between 2 coaches on a 5 car 222.
Now that looks really, really good. 43002 was probably my favourite GWR HST powercar because of its livery and its appearances on my local Cotswold Line and I'm still a fan of it now it's in the NRM. 43185 was also one of my favourites but I thought it seemed to be less well-maintained cosmetically towards the end of its service with GWR in comparison to 002 - it always seemed a bit dirtier - but I suppose that adds character and 'realism' to the BR livery!
I don't really have a western region favorite but 002 and 185 were very nice and the dirt on the cab roof as you say does add character to the livery. The picture below was taken in Bath in September 2018. 43185 was on the rear of the last GWR HST that I have got from Bristol to Chippenham just a few months later.

20180905_160831.jpg
They look like really cool models - I quite like EMT livery because of its association with the SWT livery, which I saw lots when on holidays in the south-west. The 170 looks nice as well - I assume it's a Bachmann model?

-Peter
Yes the 170 is a Bachmann model.

Iskra

Established Member
That EMR livery HST looks really nice. It's a very striking livery.

I don't think I ever saw a 170 in SWT in the flesh, so that one looks a bit odd to me.

Established Member
That EMR livery HST looks really nice. It's a very striking livery.

I don't think I ever saw a 170 in SWT in the flesh, so that one looks a bit odd to me.
The EMT/SWT livery will always be one of my favorite liveries. The 43/4's were also striking in the revised livery.

Dale End Lane advent locos 12: Class 57 and some steam trains

For the last of the advent locos (unless Santa drops one off tonight) I have 3 locos. On the far right is a Bachmann 57 in GWR green which is used to haul the sleeper which is in the background. In the centre is 'Kneller Hall' 5934 which I think is a Hornby/Lima model and on the left is a Hornby Pannier 2759. The two seam locos normally operate the charter trains to Dale End Lane with a rake of GWR cream coaches that include Mk1's and another type have 'Cornish Riviera Limited' boards above the windows.

IMG_20201224_100749 (2).jpg

Peter C

Established Member

For the last of the advent locos (unless Santa drops one off tonight) I have 3 locos. On the far right is a Bachmann 57 in GWR green which is used to haul the sleeper which is in the background. In the centre is 'Kneller Hall' 5934 which I think is a Hornby/Lima model and on the left is a Hornby Pannier 2759. The two seam locos normally operate the charter trains to Dale End Lane with a rake of GWR cream coaches that include Mk1's and another type have 'Cornish Riviera Limited' boards above the windows.

View attachment 87583
Three lovely models there :)
The 57 looks nice - my plan is to get one and a sleeper set at some point. The 'Hall' is a Hornby Railways item IIRC: I have 4983 'Albert Hall', in the same livery. Quite a smooth runner in comparison to the other old engines I have. I've also got a 2759: again, a lovely engine which does the job. I normally use mine with the autocracy I have on shuttle services but it occasionally slips out onto the mainline for a proper run!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
The EMT/SWT livery will always be one of my favorite liveries. The 43/4's were also striking in the revised livery.

View attachment 87583
A nice way to end. The pannier looks like it is out of one of the old trains sets?

I like the GWR 57's and Tintagel Castle in particular as I managed a trip behind her on a glorious summer evening this year :) I think Sleeper trains are some of the most interesting and glamorous left on the network, so I like that you have one on your layout.IMG_3933.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Much agreed. I’ve had a few runs behind the GWR 57s and I quite like them in a way (even though I’m a bit of a 47 basher really).

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 87583
A GWR 57 is on my wanted list! Is it any good?

Much agreed. I’ve had a few runs behind the GWR 57s and I quite like them in a way (even though I’m a bit of a 47 basher really).
@Cowley A Western man should like Western locos not interlopers!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@reddragon - I considered starting a thread in the speculative ideas section after having a few beers one night suggesting that the GWR class 57 fleet might be replaced with the remaining preserved class 52s as there’s just about enough of them left (ETS to be provided by generator vans).
It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t go through with it though...

Peter C

Established Member
@reddragon - I considered starting a thread in the speculative ideas section after having a few beers one night suggesting that the GWR class 57 fleet might be replaced with the remaining preserved class 52s as there’s just about enough of them left (ETS to be provided by generator vans).
It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t go through with it though...
There was that time D1015 saved a HST - close to your idea... :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Established Member
Three lovely models there :)
The 57 looks nice - my plan is to get one and a sleeper set at some point. The 'Hall' is a Hornby Railways item IIRC: I have 4983 'Albert Hall', in the same livery. Quite a smooth runner in comparison to the other old engines I have. I've also got a 2759: again, a lovely engine which does the job. I normally use mine with the autocracy I have on shuttle services but it occasionally slips out onto the mainline for a proper run!

-Peter
Thanks. The sleeper coaches where a Kernow Model Centre/Hornby special so I'm not sure if they are still available. That is if you want them in GWR green. I find the panier is smoother than the Hall and I also have a autocoach and two 'local' coaches to go with the panier.
A nice way to end. The pannier looks like it is out of one of the old trains sets?
Thanks. I could not tell you if it was out a set or not.
I like the GWR 57's and Tintagel Castle in particular as I managed a trip behind her on a glorious summer evening this year :) I think Sleeper trains are some of the most interesting and glamorous left on the network, so I like that you have one on your layout.View attachment 87584

I have been on the Night Riviera once and I think at the time we had the only refurbished sleeper car in the fleet. It was a lovely relaxing trip even if I didn't get that much sleep and the room was really warm, as we didn't know that you could control the air con! 57602 was at the head of the train and I think 57603 was at the rear.
20170531_215503.jpg
A GWR 57 is on my wanted list! Is it any good?

@Cowley A Western man should like Western locos not interlopers!
The Bachmann 57's are good models and are very detailed. It even has switches underneeth to allow you to switch the cab light and the tail lights on or off.

Here is the latest addition to the Dale End Lane fleet is a Bachmann class 37 in DRS livery along with some Network Rail mk2s to form a test train.

Happy Christmas to everyone!
1608911124370594809322.jpg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks. The sleeper coaches where a Kernow Model Centre/Hornby special so I'm not sure if they are still available. That is if you want them in GWR green. I find the panier is smoother than the Hall and I also have a autocoach and two 'local' coaches to go with the panier.

Thanks. I could not tell you if it was out a set or not.

I have been on the Night Riviera once and I think at the time we had the only refurbished sleeper car in the fleet. It was a lovely relaxing trip even if I didn't get that much sleep and the room was really warm, as we didn't know that you could control the air con! 57602 was at the head of the train and I think 57603 was at the rear.
View attachment 87617

The Bachmann 57's are good models and are very detailed. It even has switches underneeth to allow you to switch the cab light and the tail lights on or off.

Here is the latest addition to the Dale End Lane fleet is a Bachmann class 37 in DRS livery along with some Network Rail mk2s to form a test train.

Happy Christmas to everyone!
View attachment 87646
Happy Christmas mate. That looks excellent.

Iskra

Established Member
That 37 is looking resplendent on that test train.

I picked myself up an original livery DRS 37 in early December at a good price from Kernow, but it’s not made it onto the layout yet.

Established Member
Happy Christmas mate. That looks excellent.
Thank you!
That 37 is looking resplendent on that test train.

I picked myself up an original livery DRS 37 in early December at a good price from Kernow, but it’s not made it onto the layout yet.
Thanks.

I think the 37 came from Rainbow Railways for a reasonable price and the compass livery goes with the DRS Compass 68 I have.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you!

Thanks.

I think the 37 came from Rainbow Railways for a reasonable price and the compass livery goes with the DRS Compass 68 I have.
Rainbow Railways are pretty good I've found. It's nice to have matching locomotive liveries. I do like the 68's, I think they look amazing but there's no scope for one on my layout.

Have you managed to do anything more on your layout recently?

Established Member
Rainbow Railways are pretty good I've found. It's nice to have matching locomotive liveries. I do like the 68's, I think they look amazing but there's no scope for one on my layout.

Have you managed to do anything more on your layout recently?
Not much at the moment. I have mostly been playing trains instead or working on the layout. Hopefully I have something to show you soon.

reddragon

Established Member
My railway is in the loft, it freezing up there! I've done a lot of insulation that now keeps it cool in the summer but until I've finished its still cold in the winter.

As a result I only go up on warmer days

Iskra

Established Member
My railway is in the loft, it freezing up there! I've done a lot of insulation that now keeps it cool in the summer but until I've finished its still cold in the winter.

As a result I only go up on warmer days
That's sensible, have you thought about some sort of portable heater?

Established Member
No worries, as long as you’re enjoying yourself that’s all that matters!
That is the main thing. Especially with staying at home all the time at the moment.

Got some classic traction on the sleeper tonight due to the 57 not being available.

IMG_20210121_164908.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m going to take a day off work tomorrow and catch it from St David’s in a couple of hours time!

Peter C

Established Member
Got some classic traction on the sleeper tonight due to the 57 not being available.

View attachment 89068
Love it! Although whether the passengers* in the front coach would get much sleep is up for debate.... ;)

-Peter

*(by 'passengers', I mean 'normals', who, of course, are completely ignorant of the sounds of an English Electric locomotive and the joy than can cause)

Status
Not open for further replies.