• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dale End Lane - OO gauge Terminus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Some progress!!!! The park area now has a path, some trees and an allotment. Most of the remaining area will probably be grass but I do have some small rocks and other shrubbery. Whilst I do have loads more trees I like the open area as you can see what is going on.
IMG_20210131_190627.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some progress!!!! The park area now has a path, some trees and an allotment. Most of the remaining area will probably be grass but I do have some small rocks and other shrubbery. Whilst I do have loads more trees I like the open area as you can see what is going on.
View attachment 89623

Very nice. The station throat looks really good I must say.

Established Member
Very nice. The station throat looks really good I must say.
That scenic area is starting to look really good :)
Thank you both.

Another thing that I have completed is the latest timetable for the layout. Like most places a few services are missing during the day while the morning and evening services are tailored around stabling in the sidings/depot so they don't overflow into the station.

Attachments

• Dale End Lane timetable Dec 20.xlsx
    26.9 KB · Views: 14

Peter C

Established Member
View attachment 89623
I'm liking that! The allotment looks really cool too with those little plants and the borders. I might try and include a form of allotment on my railway centre site; how did you make that one?

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you both.

Another thing that I have completed is the latest timetable for the layout. Like most places a few services are missing during the day while the morning and evening services are tailored around stabling in the sidings/depot so they don't overflow into the station.
Now that is impressive.

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you both.

I've just had a look at that timetable and I can only echo @Cowley in my response: that is really quite something (and I mean that in a good way)! The addition of the more passenger-friendly timetables is also really cool; have you thought of maybe including them on the layout? Having said that, I expect at 1:76 scale, you wouldn't be able to read the times - but maybe that would mean you wouldn't have to change it on the layout each time you make a new timetable?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That timetable is excellent. How good are you at keeping to it and keeping on time?

I try run a prototypical day with my layout, but it’s quite complicated with a lot of shunt moves and loco changes- I’d hate to see my delay minutes tally and it’s all very time consuming :D

MotCO

Established Member
Thank you both.

Does the timetable change twice a year?

Established Member
I'm liking that! The allotment looks really cool too with those little plants and the borders. I might try and include a form of allotment on my railway centre site; how did you make that one?

-Peter
I got it from a local model shop last year when getting some of the trees. The boarder is 4 pieces of wood painted white but I'm not sure about the rest of the model.
Now that is impressive.
Thank you!
I've just had a look at that timetable and I can only echo @Cowley in my response: that is really quite something (and I mean that in a good way)! The addition of the more passenger-friendly timetables is also really cool; have you thought of maybe including them on the layout? Having said that, I expect at 1:76 scale, you wouldn't be able to read the times - but maybe that would mean you wouldn't have to change it on the layout each time you make a new timetable?

-Peter
Thanks. I haven't thought about including them on the layout but I could possibly create a poster board with one on. I might just be a smudge though! Then again it wouldn't then need to change every 6 months.
That timetable is excellent. How good are you at keeping to it and keeping on time?

I try run a prototypical day with my layout, but it’s quite complicated with a lot of shunt moves and loco changes- I’d hate to see my delay minutes tally and it’s all very time consuming :D
haha yeah. It's a bit like that at times with the 2+6/7 HST's can only use certain sidings and platforms.

Normally I speed up the morning and evening with the daytime being real-time or close. At times I will also look to see if anything is happening such as delays/cancelations which could make things more interesting. At the moment the 153's are having a big rest with the St Ives branch closed for engineering works.
Does the timetable change twice a year?
It is based off the current timetable so it does change in May and December. In the south west you also get some smaller changes in September as in the summer months some more of the long distance services extend past Plymouth into Cornwall which is one of the reasons of basing the timetable off Penzance.

Peter C

Established Member
I got it from a local model shop last year when getting some of the trees. The boarder is 4 pieces of wood painted white but I'm not sure about the rest of the model.
Ah OK - sounds simple enough. (Famous last words!) :) Thanks!

Thanks. I haven't thought about including them on the layout but I could possibly create a poster board with one on. I might just be a smudge though! Then again it wouldn't then need to change every 6 months.
You'd need a printer capable of printing to a high resolution if you want it to be somewhat legible, but if you put it on the other side of the board or something, it could suffice as a box with a few different colours.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I might have to do a timetable at some point just for a chuckle. I don’t think it’ll be as complicated as that one though!

Jaz avalley

I like the fact You have started the scenic and got some detail, it shows that it is in your thought process,I alway think that the eventual layout benefits from a nice bit of scenery, even though it is not something that is essential to running the trains.

Established Member
I might have to do a timetable at some point just for a chuckle. I don’t think it’ll be as complicated as that one though!
I just broke it down. Started off with the times and destinations which I took from RTT and the GWR PDF. Then stated to fill in the trains by TOC which was GWR and XC first then onto EMT which I used the HST diagrams from Facebook for some of the workings.
I like the fact You have started the scenic and got some detail, it shows that it is in your thought process,I alway think that the eventual layout benefits from a nice bit of scenery, even though it is not something that is essential to running the trains.
Thanks. Whilst I do prefer to run the trains I do try and get on with the scenery (slowly!).

A slow Sunday today on the layout. Due to problems down the line it lead to only 3 trains leaving the depot/sidings (GWR 800, HST and EMT 158). This lead to the unusual shot of 3 trains still in the carriage sidings in the middle of the day after Cross Country canceled both of there departures.
IMG_20210207_105335.jpg

Looking over the EMT depot and the station with the 158 about to form the 1113 to Par vice Plymouth. The EMT depot looking as busy as ever on a Sunday.
IMG_20210207_105359.jpg

The 158 arrived at 1820 from Par with the sleeper already in the platform and 68019 heading the train tonight. A sign of things to come?
IMG_20210207_191704.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
A slow Sunday today on the layout. Due to problems down the line it lead to only 3 trains leaving the depot/sidings (GWR 800, HST and EMT 158). This lead to the unusual shot of 3 trains still in the carriage sidings in the middle of the day after Cross Country canceled both of there departures.
View attachment 90130

Looking over the EMT depot and the station with the 158 about to form the 1113 to Par vice Plymouth. The EMT depot looking as busy as ever on a Sunday.
View attachment 90131

The 158 arrived at 1820 from Par with the sleeper already in the platform and 68019 heading the train tonight. A sign of things to come?
View attachment 90177
Some cool photos and a nice story behind them - I think the timetable/cancellation of services adds a lot to the layout (that's not to say that it wouldn't be good enough without them!). I'll see if I can make a timetable for my layout and see how far I get, using yours as a basis/guide if that's alright?
That TPE 68 looks really cool - I assume you'll be getting the Accurascale Mk5s then? ;)

-Peter

MotCO

Established Member
This lead to the unusual shot of 3 trains still in the carriage sidings in the middle of the day after Cross Country canceled both of there departures.

I'll be putting in a Delay/Repay claim for that :D

Established Member
Some cool photos and a nice story behind them - I think the timetable/cancellation of services adds a lot to the layout (that's not to say that it wouldn't be good enough without them!). I'll see if I can make a timetable for my layout and see how far I get, using yours as a basis/guide if that's alright?
That TPE 68 looks really cool - I assume you'll be getting the Accurascale Mk5s then? ;)

-Peter
Thanks and yes you can use my timetable as a guide and assume correctly with the Mk5's. More likely the 6 coach Caledonian Sleeper pack than a TPE set as I can run it with different lengths like the Aberdeen and Fort William portions do north of Edinburgh.
I'll be putting in a Delay/Repay claim for that :D
:lol: :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks and yes you can use my timetable as a guide and assume correctly with the Mk5's. More likely the 6 coach Caledonian Sleeper pack than a TPE set as I can run it with different lengths like the Aberdeen and Fort William portions do north of Edinburgh.
You're very welcome! I'll have a go at making a form of timetable at some point, if I can work out where to start :)
That idea with the Mk5s sounds really cool - I'd forgotten they were making Caledonian Sleeper versions as well because everyone online seems to be focused on the TPE versions. I might look into getting some of those myself, if they're for a reasonable price.

-Peter

Established Member
You're very welcome! I'll have a go at making a form of timetable at some point, if I can work out where to start :)
That idea with the Mk5s sounds really cool - I'd forgotten they were making Caledonian Sleeper versions as well because everyone online seems to be focused on the TPE versions. I might look into getting some of those myself, if they're for a reasonable price.

-Peter
I've been following the project from the start on the rm web and the TPE sets do seem to be more popular. The latest batch of 68's have basically sold out already which both were TPE versions. Looking at the prices it works out at £45 per coach which is probably quite reasonable looking at the detailing and features in the latest pictures on the accurascale website.

Peter C

Established Member
I've been following the project from the start on the rm web and the TPE sets do seem to be more popular. The latest batch of 68's have basically sold out already which both were TPE versions. Looking at the prices it works out at £45 per coach which is probably quite reasonable looking at the detailing and features in the latest pictures on the accurascale website.
I must admit, it's been quite fun watching everyone snap up a couple of the Dapol TPE 68s each in preparation for the Accurascale Mk5s :) I had a look at their site and some of the prices were way out of my budget (for sets of multiple coaches) but a few looked reasonable. In terms of detailing, they are definitely superb (see what I did there with the Class 68 name? ;)) - I'll be very interested to see what people think of them when they're released.

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
I just broke it down. Started off with the times and destinations which I took from RTT and the GWR PDF. Then stated to fill in the trains by TOC which was GWR and XC first then onto EMT which I used the HST diagrams from Facebook for some of the workings.

Thanks. Whilst I do prefer to run the trains I do try and get on with the scenery (slowly!).

View attachment 90130

I like your high speed fleet

So far I have an original 7 coach HST; a castle set, and a class 220. A class 800 is high on my wish list. I like the Paddington Set but c£500 second hand and I do not like the new model. Maybe a class 802 will emerge?

Established Member
I must admit, it's been quite fun watching everyone snap up a couple of the Dapol TPE 68s each in preparation for the Accurascale Mk5s :) I had a look at their site and some of the prices were way out of my budget (for sets of multiple coaches) but a few looked reasonable. In terms of detailing, they are definitely superb (see what I did there with the Class 68 name? ;)) - I'll be very interested to see what people think of them when they're released.

-Peter
They do look superb. :lol: Hopefully not long to wait now as one of the posts on the website said Q2 2121.
I like your high speed fleet

So far I have an original 7 coach HST; a castle set, and a class 220. A class 800 is high on my wish list. I like the Paddington Set but c£500 second hand and I do not like the new model. Maybe a class 802 will emerge?
Thanks. Got a very similar fleet with 7 and 4 coach HST's alongside voyagers. I know what you mean with the 800's just looking on Ebay and the GWR 2 car pack is on there for over £300 which is not far off the 5 car packs. One option could be the test train packs which is showing a reasonable price and the center coaches are showing as available at rails of Sheffield or the LNER packs which might arrive soon.

A 802 version would be a good addition as it can open up more livery's like TPE and Hull Trains which I'm sure would be popular as well as more GWR but it's probably a question of tooling if there needs to be any changes other than the Kitchen end windows.

Established Member
Nothing much to show atm but here is a rather empty carriage sidings for an evening with no HST's. Normally on a Saturday night all 6 lines will be full but due to @Cowley stumbling on a bomb in Exeter this lead to some disruption and diversions north of Exeter. The Cross Country HST remained up in Scotland while the GWR set only got as far as Yeovil before having to move out the way for a London bound service. With engineering works reducing the service over the next month there will probably be more scenes like this.

IMG_20210301_180910.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nothing much to show atm but here is a rather empty carriage sidings for an evening with no HST's. Normally on a Saturday night all 6 lines will be full but due to @Cowley stumbling on a bomb in Exeter this lead to some disruption and diversions north of Exeter. The Cross Country HST remained up in Scotland while the GWR set only got as far as Yeovil before having to move out the way for a London bound service. With engineering works reducing the service over the next month there will probably be more scenes like this.

View attachment 91679

Look, it wasn’t my fault and it was perfectly fine when I last saw it and covered it over with earth... :)

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 91679
You are clearly out of date with your 'Engineering' works plans.. Due to changes in travel patterns, NR are to move their Engineering works to weekdays in the future as weekends are now their busiest

Look, it wasn’t my fault and it was perfectly fine when I last saw it and covered it over with earth... :)
Now imagine a model railway challenge bomb exploding on a model railway!

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 91679
Haha :D Love it.

-Peter

Established Member
haha :lol:
Haha :D Love it.

-Peter
Thanks!
You are clearly out of date with your 'Engineering' works plans.. Due to changes in travel patterns, NR are to move their Engineering works to weekdays in the future as weekends are now their busiest
Seems that GWR is already half way there with a reduced service on weekdays later this month in Cornwall (What the 'engineering works' are based off). East Cornwall (gwr.com)
Now imagine a model railway challenge bomb exploding on a model railway!
One for the Channel 5 Model Railway Challenge :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.