• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dallas Dhu Halt...was there ever such a passenger station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I came across reference to this halt when reading a history of closed distilleries in Scotland. It said it was situated on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on the line that passed the distillery and there was a rail link into the distillery area.

Can anyone assist in naming the stations that came before and after Dallas Dhu Halt on the line of the railway that passed the distillery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elwyn

Dallas Dhu distillery is normally open as a museum (though shut at the moment because of Covid). I visited it 2 or 3 years ago and am fairly sure there are still some long disused rails set in the yard. The line from Forres ran along the back of the distillery, so putting in a link must have been pretty straightforward.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/dallas-dhu-historic-distillery/history/

The line from Forres is now a public footpath called the Dava Way. Forres station is only a mile or two north of the distillery. The first station south of Dallas Dhu looks to have been Dunphail.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think that I have solved the problem, having researched matters. It would appear that the writer of the history on closed distilleries (published many years ago) has confused matters with that of Dallas Dhu Siding and no such halt as Dallas Dhu Halt ever existed.

Gloster

Established Member
Dallas Dhu is only mentioned as a siding in the appendices to The Highland Railway (H.A.Vallance et al., David St John Thomas/David & Charles, 1985). There is no mention of it ever being a halt for passengers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Railscot has a page on it...
RAILSCOT | Dallas Dhu Halt

RAILSCOT, as I have just seen on their information article on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway, only make mention of Dallas Dhu Siding, so it does seem somewhat strange that their website also makes mention of the information stated in the link you show above, but do not show any reference to Dallas Dhu Halt in the same information link.

I wonder where the stated closing date of 1965 in the link above came from?

Gloster

Established Member
According to Vallance, passenger services between Forres and Aviemore were withdrawn in October 1965, as was all goods south of Dallas Dhu. Goods between Dallas Dhu and Forres ended in May 1967, although the official date was at the end of June.

Inversnecky

It’s a shame my late father isn’t around - he grew up in Forres (family from Speyside) and was full of knowledge about the old Aviemore line.

I moved to Forres in the early 70s when the path of the old line was still there in the town. Now all built over.

Status
Not open for further replies.