• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Danish & Czech Railway Museums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Myself and Mrs Mouse have got two short breaks coming up, one to Denmark and one to the Czech Republic.

As part of the trips I would like to get some railway action and would like to see the respective Railway Museums, however considering the Mrs is not really a fan of railways I would like to know which is the best of the two if I have to make a choice. Both would require a train journey, in Denmark we are staying in Copenhagen, the museum is in Odense requiring a trip of about 2 hours on a swish DSB train and in Czech we are staying in Prague and the museum is in Lužná u Rakovníka which is about 90mins train journey on a rattling local train.

cheers, I would welcome replies from folk who have been to either or maybe both museums relating to their experiences too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
No ideas on the museums, but
(1) Odense is #2 on Tripadvisor's list and gets 2 stars in the Michelin green guide
(2) The Great Belt crossing to get there is impressive (assuming it isn't part of your trip to Copenhagen anyway)
I reckon that would persuade my other half!

Anon Mouse

Established Member
No ideas on the museums, but
(1) Odense is #2 on Tripadvisor's list and gets 2 stars in the Michelin green guide
(2) The Great Belt crossing to get there is impressive (assuming it isn't part of your trip to Copenhagen anyway)
I reckon that would persuade my other half!

Hmm I think that's settled it, but the Czech museum is pretty unfamiliar but I think the Mrs will not be impressed with the ancient, decrepid CD local train (assuming its just as grim as its ZSSK equivilents)

still would like to hear of any CD museum experiences

Veteran Member
My limited experience of CD says their ordinary stock is much better than PKP (even the modern railbuses are tolerable) and I'd therefore guess better than ZSSK.
The line seems to have a typical mix of CD regional trains - modern railbuses on the stoppers, elderly loco-hauled and possibly elderly bogie railcar and trailer. Everything except the old "breadbin" 4-wheelers

My impression is that zelpage.cz is reliable, but that modern stock may well be substituted by older.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure that the local train will be as decrepid as you think, from what I can find the trains on that line tend to be loco and stock. The 0902 ex Prague for example is booked a 750 and 3 coaches. This photo seems to agree: http://trainweb.cz/foto/lokomotiva-750-706-4-jenec-22950

I'm not entirely sure how reliable this information is though!

cheers, that looks much better than the ZSSK locals, and is that "Google box"? looks hellfire.

I've found this site actually - http://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/ which brings up the type of unit or stock but not loco type. It seems the outward journey I would like to make is loco hauled but the return will be 3 2 car DMU's lashed together
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My limited experience of CD says their ordinary stock is much better than PKP (even the modern railbuses are tolerable) and I'd therefore guess better than ZSSK.
The line seems to have a typical mix of CD regional trains - modern railbuses on the stoppers, elderly loco-hauled and possibly elderly bogie railcar and trailer. Everything except the old "breadbin" 4-wheelers

My impression is that zelpage.cz is reliable, but that modern stock may well be substituted by older.

cheers! I'm not too bothered on the age of the stock just that its clean and acceptable for the Mrs to sit on for 90mins! :)

Jordy

Established Member
The 750s are known as 'Goggles' yes (also 753 and 754), but they aren't hellfire, they make hardly any noise at all! The 749/751s are a different story though. I'd not seen the Vagonweb site before but it seems to do pretty much the same thing as Zelpage which I linked to earlier (although the former doesn't seem to identify the class of loco). My limited experience of CD rolling stock is that most of it is fine, with the exception of these rancid contraptions.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The 750s are known as 'Goggles' yes (also 753 and 754), but they aren't hellfire, they make hardly any noise at all! The 749/751s are a different story though. I'd not seen the Vagonweb site before but it seems to do pretty much the same thing as Zelpage which I linked to earlier (although the former doesn't seem to identify the class of loco). My limited experience of CD rolling stock is that most of it is fine, with the exception of these rancid contraptions.

I see, but a loco is a loco I suppose. Unit wise some of their stuff looks ok, even those modern 2 car yellow things. I saw a few of those 810 things in Slovakia and to be honest I thought they looked ok (but I've never travelled on one admittedly). Also I think I will try and hunt down a couple of 749/751's to at least get on camera!

beermaddavep

If you want to catch/photo 749s they are still diagrammed on saturdays and sundays for some of the table 210 trains

http://gvd.cd.cz/gvd/CZ_k210_130408_01.pdf

from Prague to Cercany (look for the services without the wheelchair symbol eg Os9055). These run along the quite scenic Sazava valley and are dirt cheap to travel on.

You are quite likely to get unsilenced ones too, as mentioned these are hellfire when pushed- look on youtube for 749 100,107 or 006 as good examples :)

Unfortunately, they are coupled to some of the most rancid double deck stock in europe :(

Rode to the museum at Luzna last summer, it was on a Regionova 814 dmu, they are nice enough to travel on. There are occasional steam services from the museum (also dirt cheap) and there is a decent pub/restaurant at the station too.

PS if you do bash the table210 749s there are regular commuter trains between Cercany to Prague taking about 40mins, usually operated by modern city elephant emu if you can't handle the long trek back!

HTIOU

PPS If you do go to Luzna, you can combine it with a ride on Table 122 from Prague to Hostivice, promoted locally as the 'Prague Semmering'. This will be an 810, sit on the right from Prague Na Knizeci (near Andel metro) and enjoy the steep climb out of and around the city!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
If you want to catch/photo 749s they are still diagrammed on saturdays and sundays for some of the table 210 trains from Prague to Cercany

Rode to the museum at Luzna last summer, it was on a Regionova 814 dmu, they are nice enough to travel on.

The Cercany line is on my to-do list - looks superb from photos, another one my wife would enjoy.
Regionovas are the "modern 2 car yellow things" Anon Mouse mentions

beermaddavep

The Cercany line is on my to-do list - looks superb from photos, another one my wife would enjoy.
Regionovas are the "modern 2 car yellow things" Anon Mouse mentions

It's a lovely if rather slow ride. The climb up the valley side from Davle through sheer rock cuttings and tunnels is probably the highlight. If you do do it , sit on the right hand side leaving Prague :)

Another PS- there are very handy spreadsheets for the 749s (and lots of other interesting workings) here

http://sledovanihv.blogspot.cz/

Very useful for knowing which loco will most likely be rostered your trains :)

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Cheers Beermaddavep & 30907, I'll see if I can get some of that past Mrs Mouse!! :)

Your selling point with Odense is that was the home of Hans Christian Odense and his former house is a museum, next a very scenic old square. And you get to ride partway across the fantastic island of Fyn, one of the prettiest parts of Denmark, to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.