• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Trip to Armathwaite from Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The national rail enquiries website seems to suggest that it is possible to travel from Leeds to Armathwaite by train but that the reverse journey is not possible. It suggests catching a bus to Appleby and joining the train there.

Does anyone know what the actual situation is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The national rail enquiries website seems to suggest that it is possible to travel from Leeds to Armathwaite by train but that the reverse journey is not possible. It suggests catching a bus to Appleby and joining the train there.

Does anyone know what the actual situation is?

Trains to Armathwaite don't sit there for very long and go straight back to Appleby, forming a service that terminates there eg 2Z93 1323 Armathwaite-Appleby before sitting there for about 35 minutes to an hour. Then the train goes forwards as a service from Appleby to Leeds. For example, 2Z93 terminates Appleby at 1358 before forming 2H93 1447 Appleby-Leeds.

So indeed, the bus is technically faster as it leaves Armathwaite later to connect onto the same train (1347 from Armathwaite in my example), but there is a rail service available, albeit with a dwell at Appleby.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed. The train is a nicer journey, and I recommend a swift half in the Midland hotel at Appleby (just outside the station) whilst the train takes its rest.

Veteran Member
Indeed. The train is a nicer journey, and I recommend a swift half in the Midland hotel at Appleby (just outside the station) whilst the train takes its rest.

And/or a stroll round the town, which is well worth it

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
And/or a stroll round the town, which is well worth it

I think it may be a bit of a walk from Appleby Station to the town centre and there may be quite a steep hill.

Probably the above mentioned pub by the station is a better bet.

Veteran Member
It's less than 10 minutes to the church - but yes, the hill is steep. Depends how much time you have.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Avoid a pub called The Golden Ball which is on a side street off the main square.

It is disgusting and smells of unwashed dog, which roams around the pub. The Devonian landlord is nice enough, but is to hygiene what Pacers are to luxury travel.

The Midland, by the station, is lovely.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Avoid a pub called The Golden Ball which is on a side street off the main square.

It is disgusting and smells of unwashed dog, which roams around the pub. The Devonian landlord is nice enough, but is to hygiene what Pacers are to luxury travel.

The Midland, by the station, is lovely.

The Golden Ball does have a bit of a whif of dog about it, but the beer is good and there's a nice rocky juke box.

anti-pacer

Established Member
The Golden Ball does have a bit of a whif of dog about it, but the beer is good and there's a nice rocky juke box.

The funny thing is Yorksrob, out of all the pubs I went to in Appleby with friends recently, the best pint was in there.

I just wish the landlord would clean it up and sort that smell out.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The funny thing is Yorksrob, out of all the pubs I went to in Appleby with friends recently, the best pint was in there.

I just wish the landlord would clean it up and sort that smell out.

Nowt wrong with a bit of spit and sawdust I suppose.

I have a really big soft spot for the Hare & Hounds as well.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Nowt wrong with a bit of spit and sawdust I suppose.

I have a really big soft spot for the Hare & Hounds as well.

It's the smell that really puts me off to be honest. Hare and Hounds? Where's that one?

EDIT: Looking at Google Maps it was the first pub we went to. It was nice by the fire place, the staff were friendly, but the one downside was the only real ale offering was Bombardier which was served far too cold when we went. The Crown & Cushion was good too.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's the smell that really puts me off to be honest. Hare and Hounds? Where's that one?

EDIT: Looking at Google Maps it was the first pub we went to. It was nice by the fire place, the staff were friendly, but the one downside was the only real ale offering was Bombardier which was served far too cold when we went. The Crown & Cushion was good too.

I can get on with Bombardier, and sometimes they do London Pride instead which is also good for me. They once had Lancaster blonde on which is a favourite.

I like the fact that it's a good traditional drinking pub, no food or coffee - just beer and the bustle of friendly conversation.

Francis

You didn't sample the bustitution services then?

There seem to be three variants.
Carlisle - Appleby direct - presumably via M6 to Penrith then A66
Carlisle - Armathwaite direct - via various back roads then out onto the A6 and Upperby
Carlisle - Appleby calling at Armathwaite, Lazonby & Kirkoswald and Langwathby taking 1 hr 20 mins. This is presumably intended just for local traffic to the intermediate stations from Carlisle, when a train is not available.
The intriguing thing was that they checked tickets getting off the bus in Carlisle and getting on it. First time I've ever known tickets to be checked on a replacement bus service. Are they inundated with joyriders? There were only two of us on the 12.43 coach to Armathwaite because most people would have taken the following 13.37 direct to Appleby for the train further south.

I trust you used a £15 (£9.90 with railcard) Settle and Carlisle line day ranger. It's valid all the way from Leeds and Bradford to Carlisle. Great ride even on a dull day.
And the reverse workings.

Status
Not open for further replies.