• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

MA8141

The south wales advert has been changed to the original plans for junior driver recruitment only at Port Talbot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lenny_1986

£55,525 but a 7% pay rise has just been voted in. That should be back dated to July 2023 and paid in March wage packet.
Is that confirmed for March as normally in the past it has taken months and been paid in drips and drabs.

1867Blue

Is that confirmed for March as normally in the past it has taken months and been paid in drips and drabs.
Not had anything in writing but it’s what our LDC said. But they also said that pensions and pay wouldn’t be negotiated together so who knows.

Mabs

I applied for Acton again. I failed the Managers interview last year so I've made a lot of changes to my interview answers and hopefully I can get over the line this time.

1867Blue

Be prepared for a very long wait.

Most people wait months in between emails. I personally waited around 15 months from applying to being offered a job.

Not saying you will, there has been people that’s been put through really quick.

SuperS16v

To echo the above it’s a long wait, it’s been almost 2 years since i applied, still in the talent pool awaiting a job.

JoshuaPrice

Be prepared for a very long wait.

Most people wait months in between emails. I personally waited around 15 months from applying to being offered a job.

Not saying you will, there has been people that’s been put through really quick.
Thanks for your reply, during the waiting period what was the status on your application on the website? Mine has changed from “application in process” to “end of process”. I’m hoping this means that they have just finished reviewing the initial CV and I should wait for further contact with recruitment. Can anyone clarify if “end of process” means rejection?

Samzino

Thanks for your reply, during the waiting period what was the status on your application on the website? Mine has changed from “application in process” to “end of process”. I’m hoping this means that they have just finished reviewing the initial CV and I should wait for further contact with recruitment. Can anyone clarify if “end of process” means rejection?
Usually end of process means they've finished looking at your application and it is no longer eligible. I've not seen anyone continue thru stages after that especially if it's in the initial stages.

1867Blue

Unfortunately it sounds like you haven’t passed the first look at the CVs

DEvans

This was the position I applied for in November 2022. I'm still waiting to hear back for the Interview I had.

Fast-Track Trainee Train Driver

If you have already passed your Train Driver Assessment with another provider and do not want to wait to get on course, we have opportunities available for you to join the DB family and begin your journey as a Trainee/Junior Train Driver via our Fast-Track Train Driver application process.

With courses starting monthly to meet our continued growth plans, there has been no better time to register with DB Cargo (UK)

You will need to currently live within a one-hour commuting distance from the pinpoint of a hub location. Once you have submitted your application, we will advise if you live within the recommended distance to progress your application further.

Responsibilities

As a Trainee /Junior Train Driver, you will;

Undertake extensive training, including a 10-week training course at one of our training centers where you will be fully supported on your journey in achieving your goal of becoming a train driver.

Be train driving within a designated yard or terminal, achieving the European Train Driving License Part A certification.

Become competent in location safe methods.

Be fully compliant and understand the Train Driver Rules.

Be responsible for all Freight Train Working Regulations, Personal Track Safety and Traction Knowledge.

Carry out all locomotive preparation.

Undertake locomotive Fueling.

Conduct basic locomotive Fault Finding.

Control train movements from the ground and the locomotive.

Salary & Benefits

We offer our Trainee /Junior Drivers a competitive starting salary of £31,381.00 per annum.

We also offer a competitive benefits package, including an attractive pension scheme and access to exclusive online discounts.

Successful candidates would work an average of 32 hours each week on an annualised hours basis. We operate 24/7, 365 days a year and so shift patterns would cover unsocial hours including nights, Weekend and holiday periods.

Once training and all training competencies are achieved. You will then pass out on the mainline as a fully qualified train driver, where you can expect an annual salary of £55,525.00 (reviewed annually)

DB Cargo supplies all the tools you will need to do your job safely and effectively such as PPE kits, work tablet and mobile phone.

In addition, expect to receive competitive pension, free on-site parking, access to our Employee Assistance Program (for services such as counselling, debt management advice) plus access to our employee benefits portal to take advantage of discounts for shops and services.

Qualifications

To become a Trainee/Junior Train Driver, you must:

Be at least 21 years of age.

Be required to provide your National Insurance OR date of birth details at the point of screening so we are able to verify your pass mark and driver assessment validity.

Have completed at least 9 years education (primary and secondary).

Pass a full medical assessment (including drug and alcohol testing) via one of DB Cargo's approved providers.

Hold a full UK current and valid road vehicle driving license (for manual vehicles).

About the Process

All applicants must hold full right to work in the UK. We unfortunately cannot accept relocation applications or applications from those requiring sponsorship.

The recruitment process will involve several stages. Firstly, we will complete an initial review of all applications to ensure they meet all the above requirements.

Those who are successful will then be invited to an interview and then booked on for medical evaluation.

Initial trainee train driver courses may not be local to where you live, and you may be required to stay away from home during your initial training period. (Primary training locations are Didcot and Toton)

This will be an Extensive training course of 10 weeks away from home - Which DB Cargo arranges for you.

At DB Cargo, we value our people and support inclusion across all teams.

We recognise that different experiences, backgrounds, and attitudes are the key to our business growth. Our employees all make a real difference, day in day out.

You are encouraged to build your working knowledge, support each other's wellness, and work together as one team to build the pedigree of the DB family.

Most importantly, everyone has their part to play in making sure the railway is safe, enabling everyone to get home safe at the end of their working day.

If you have not passed an assessment yet and want to be a Trainee/Junior Train Driver?

Do not panic - there's still opportunities to join DB Cargo (UK).

Please apply through the regular Trainee/Junior Train Driver job listings when the position goes live to be progressed and if selected, we will invite you to complete a Drivers Assessment at our Doncaster assessment facility

----‐--------------------------------------------------------------
It might seem slow for you because many of us have already done the assessments. They rather get us out of the way and then concentrate on those that have to start from scratch.
Hi. I have passed my Psychometrics with Scotrail in 2019, with a Grade A. I applied and was not wanted.

JoshuaPrice

Hi everyone, has anybody that applied on the latest batch of jobs heard anything/ had an update on their status on the db job portal? As I’ve already seen, the communication sounds quite scarce. Would be an indication for me as to whether I will progress to the next part of the application process. Thanks in advance. P.S…latest jobs were released on 21/02/2024

Samzino

Hi everyone, has anybody that applied on the latest batch of jobs heard anything/ had an update on their status on the db job portal? As I’ve already seen, the communication sounds quite scarce. Would be an indication for me as to whether I will progress to the next part of the application process. Thanks in advance. P.S…latest jobs were released on 21/02/2024
A Pal of mine I believe said he was invited to Assessment dates with DB up north. Was for trainee train driver on the West London bit.

SuperS16v

The communication is pretty poor but that’s is just the industry. I think I waited 7 months between applying and DB sending me for assessments. No news is sometimes good news!

What areas were advertised?