• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

TonyBrides

I’ve been offered an interview on Monday as well. I sent a CV 18 months ago, and got an email saying if successful I’ll get an assessment day. Then this today. I can’t do Monday so I’ve had to email them.

But what is this team’s interview? Is it a DMI?

Do they normally do the DMI before any assessments or have they put me strait though to the interview.

FYI I have both stages of psychometric and MMI already.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loco94

When I did it it was apply, assessments, dmi, medical, start date so yeah looks like it

woodsy428

Passed the assessments and MMI yesterday, waiting on the DMI now, what was the wait time for you guys between passing the assessments and the DMI?

Last edited:

Loco94

8 days after the assessments I had my DMI but got invited after 3 days so had 5 days to prepare and had mine in Person at donny

Hst 125 blue

Just out of curiosity, have you had your contract sent through yet ?

I’m still waiting on that and I can’t hand in my resignation before I sign my contract, but I have a 28 day notice period and I don’t want to cut it too fine. I’m hoping it comes this week
Hi Eddie
Just out of curiosity, have you had your contract sent through yet ?

I’m still waiting on that and I can’t hand in my resignation before I sign my contract, but I have a 28 day notice period and I don’t want to cut it too fine. I’m hoping it comes this week
Hi Eddie

Have you heard anything about the contract yet.

As I too have give 28 days notice

Eddie77

Hi Eddie

Hi Eddie

Have you heard anything about the contract yet.

As I too have give 28 days notice
Not yet mate, still waiting. Getting close to my cut off so it’s more than the 40 degree heat making me sweat lol

You heard anything?

Eddie77

I got my the day before I had to give my notice in. They do like to cut it a bit fine. They won’t leave you high and dry though. It will be ok! :lol:
Nah I’m sure they won’t mate as they’ve been really good throughout. I’d just prefer a couple of days prior to my date for a bit of comfort lol

Thanks for the reassurance though

NorthernTech

I’ve been offered an interview on Monday as well. I sent a CV 18 months ago, and got an email saying if successful I’ll get an assessment day. Then this today. I can’t do Monday so I’ve had to email them.

But what is this team’s interview? Is it a DMI?

Do they normally do the DMI before any assessments or have they put me strait though to the interview.

FYI I have both stages of psychometric and MMI already.
Sounds like you may have had your psychometric tests accepted. Had you done them fairly recently? The interview is the DMI yeah. Where you in for Warrington?

Finally got my interview on Monday via Teams! Any help in terms of what they will ask and what I should prep for would be most welcome!! I’m very nervous!

I just took one and my NI card!
How was your interview?

TonyBrides

Sounds like you may have had your psychometric tests accepted. Had you done them fairly recently? The interview is the DMI yeah. Where you in for Warrington?

How was your interview?
Yeah I did them for FL this year. I’m in there talent pool been told I’m on a course in Feb 23.

And yes it was for Warrington. I’m a big believer in fate. The fact I’ve not had a reply to not being able to interview on Monday makes me think it’s not meant to be. You never know though. Could be offered another date and things may change.

NorthernTech

Yeah I did them for FL this year. I’m in there talent pool been told I’m on a course in Feb 23.

And yes it was for Warrington. I’m a big believer in fate. The fact I’ve not had a reply to not being able to interview on Monday makes me think it’s not meant to be. You never know though. Could be offered another date and things may change.
So you are already likely to be on a course for FL in Feb, that’s a nice position to have in the bag. I’m sure DB will get back in touch, probably just awaiting a new date to book you in.

TonyBrides

So you are already likely to be on a course for FL in Feb, that’s a nice position to have in the bag. I’m sure DB will get back in touch, probably just awaiting a new date to book you in

Yeah Febs a while off mind and I can’t help worrying something will stop it happening. (Like the government plunging the economy into ground)

We will see, what happens. I’ve been a Cop for a long time so I’m rather excited about the change. But I don’t think I’ll believe it until I’m sat in a classroom or the cab of a 66.

FlyingVixen

How was your interview?
It didn’t happen! They got their dates mixed up! So they are arranging another one for me! Gives me time to prepare I suppose!

RPOMan

Hi all, just after some advice. Also applied (for West Midlands). I have been placed into a talent pool. I wondered, what would you say the biggest challenges a freight train driver may face, would be?

I’ve considered - fatigue, route learning, concentration, fault finding and rectifying.

Just after some more advice.

Thanks!

Loco94

Fatigue is common throughout the railway due to shifts, just got to deal with it the best you can and speak up if your not fit due to tiredness and manage it, try to get routines and let anyone know who you live with how important it is you get rest, you get shown ways of making route learning more straightforward such as drawing your own maps and taking notes on things and time to go over routes, concentration I’d say you’ve either got a good concentration span or you haven’t, have you done your assessments ? If you can concentrate well in them then you shouldn’t have any issues, however fatigue can affect it, fault finding you get shown how to prep locos and what to look out for, 66’s which are DB’s main traction are quite reliable though

RPOMan

Fatigue is common throughout the railway due to shifts, just got to deal with it the best you can and speak up if your not fit due to tiredness and manage it, try to get routines and let anyone know who you live with how important it is you get rest, you get shown ways of making route learning more straightforward such as drawing your own maps and taking notes on things and time to go over routes, concentration I’d say you’ve either got a good concentration span or you haven’t, have you done your assessments ? If you can concentrate well in them then you shouldn’t have any issues, however fatigue can affect it, fault finding you get shown how to prep locos and what to look out for, 66’s which are DB’s main traction are quite reliable though
Thank you for your response. I passed the psychometric assessments and MMI with a different TOC in October 2020. Thanks

Loco94

I’d say a freight driver differs a lot to say a passenger driver, each train is very different, can be longer, heavier, have different restrictions on speeds and where they can travel over, you tend to have your rest days set but the actual shifts can change at quite short notice. You tend to have a decent amount of time in the scheduling if running late or held up to help get back on time, and it’s very varied, but on the plus side you haven’t got passengers complaining, and you aren’t usually rushing about to a strict timetable like with passenger work so I’d say it’s more laid back, and you tend to go to some cool places other than just stations

NorthernTech

I presume freight trains are regularly dropped into a side loop to allow passenger trains through, if so, what sort of time can they be sat there for and what do you do if you know you’ll be there for a long time?

Last edited:

Loco94

Yeah pretty much, but you’ve usually time to recover, if it’s obvious why you’ve been held you usually just wait for the train to pass and the signal should clear, but if there’s no real obvious reason or it’s ages you’ve been there you can remind the signaller of the presence of your train by pressing SG on GSM-R radio

NorthernTech

It didn’t happen! They got their dates mixed up! So they are arranging another one for me! Gives me time to prepare I suppose!
Any news of a new DMI yet?

Yeah Febs a while off mind and I can’t help worrying something will stop it happening. (Like the government plunging the economy into ground)

We will see, what happens. I’ve been a Cop for a long time so I’m rather excited about the change. But I don’t think I’ll believe it until I’m sat in a classroom or the cab of a 66.
Did they rebook you a DMI yet Tony?

TonyBrides

Any news of a new DMI yet?

Did they rebook you a DMI yet Tony?
No but the Monday they offered me was my last week in work before 2 weeks off.

I did tell them I was away and out of the country. So I wasn’t expecting to hear anything strait away. I only came back to work this week. Time will tell, if it’s meant to be they will offer me another one.