• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

NorthernTech

Any updates on how the interviews went for those who managed to pass the assessments?

I’ve read comments in this thread from those who has been in a talent pool from a year ago (I assumed there may be more) and wondered if anyone has had any traction yet...
There are other threads on the forum for the previous campaigns at for different locations, possibly best to seek out the correct threads and ask on there. It keeps this one free for this recruitment campaign and avoids confusion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iwasyoungonce

Think a couple may have been waiting in talent pools #Unknown2020 for areas which have since been re advertised.

I can confirm there is movement at DB currently as there is with several other TOC/FOC at the moment.

DriverEight

I don't claim to understand the workings of talent pools, but presumably they kept at a certain level, say 20 individuals. If a TOC/FOC plan to take 3 people from the pool then it's likely that's going to coincide with a recruitment campaign go find 3 new people to go in to the pool.

So, following that logic, if you're in the middle of the pool and you're worried they're recruiting again and you've been overlooked, there's a good chance it's because that someone above you has got a start so you've moved up the list.

Of course, this is conjecture, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone with better information

iwasyoungonce

Yes I think that's the basic principle, as people retire/move depot/leave then 3 or 4 get a start date for the next course, they then need the same number of people to shove in the bottom end (recruitment).
Or if the company gains a new contract or an increase in business form an uplift or extension to an existing one they will need an entirely new cohort of trainees (recruitment) this could also come from qualified drivers.
I think the grey area comes when people have been in pools for several months and then new recruits arrive with better scores than the next candidate in the pool, would they leapfrog ?

steve_wills

That's just what I was thinking! I knew it was yard work with the Junior Driver role. I am already a Shunter so I have some idea into some part of the role. Are you already in the industry if you don't mind me asking? I would enjoy doing yard work anyway to get a good level of the handling of the loco and brake use with a consist etc. I'm hoping I would have the chance to move to my local Depot (Bescot) though I will offer to help out at other depots I sign competence at.
You do realise GBRF run Bescot yard and not DB cargo.

Atishyou

No JD at bescot yard. Its ran by Gbrf. They use rail operators. E.g a shunter driver.
That wasn't my question.

If Dilksy qualified as a junior at East Mids, he could easily go back to the West Mids Hub (which includes Bescot) when a mainline vacancy arises.

My understanding of some of the adverts was Junior Driver / Trainee Driver talent pool, (trainee being for a mainline role).

Dan1982

Just checked my application status and it now says end of process, but had no email.
It might be worth checking db site rather than waiting for written confirmation.

Dilksy2396

Just checked my application status and it now says end of process, but had no email.
It might be worth checking db site rather than waiting for written confirmation.
Hi Dan,

I've just checked my application and it says the same thing. I'd drop recruitment a email Monday morning and ask for an update on your application. Good luck

Dan1982

I applied for the east midlands hub vacancy. I also applied for a trainee position at Aylesbury, both thorough db. I had a rejection email for the Aylesbury position. Both of my applications now say end of process.

BigChip90

I applied for the east midlands hub vacancy. I also applied for a trainee position at Aylesbury, both thorough db. I had a rejection email for the Aylesbury position. Both of my applications now say end of process.
Hmm I’ve applied for the East Midlands hub as well. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens. I normally check daily anyway with no changes.

Eddie77

Hi all, new to the forum so hello.

I passed all my assessments and interviews for the Mossend Talent Pool in 2019. Still waiting to hear back with regards to a start date.

Couple of questions for anyone who may be in the know;

• Are there likely to be any openings at Mossend soon?

• Is 2 years wait without hearning anything normal?

Thanks in advance

LokiB

Anybody received any updates on these applications yet?
I got an email the end of May saying allow 2 weeks for them to review all applications but nothing since. Obviously I know the recruitment process is long winded just curious if anyone had anything else.

BigChip90

Anybody received any updates on these applications yet?
I got an email the end of May saying allow 2 weeks for them to review all applications but nothing since. Obviously I know the recruitment process is long winded just curious if anyone had anything else.
Nothing yet, it still says “application in process” for me, how about yourself?
I’ve just gone back to normal life in the hope that I’ll forget about until any updates come in. :lol:

LokiB

Nothing yet, it still says “application in process” for me, how about yourself?
I’ve just gone back to normal life in the hope that I’ll forget about until any updates come in. :lol:
Same here, just the application in progress. Knowing railway recruitment as we do it will stay like that for months.
Seem to remember them saying testing days were in June so they better pull their fingers out to get people in for those

NorthernTech

Same here, just the application in progress. Knowing railway recruitment as we do it will stay like that for months.
Seem to remember them saying testing days were in June so they better pull their fingers out to get people in for those
As it’s the 22nd of June already I doubt this will be the case

BigChip90

Yeah that’s not happening :lol: The only thing we can do is wait unfortunately. I remember something about assessment days in August though.

1867Blue

I have passed my assessments and interviews and I’m in the talent pool from a previous recruitment drive and mine still says application in process

LokiB

Just had an email come through to say they are reviewing applications but they are also reviewing the actual job and changes may be made.
Seems a bit strange.

Unknown2020

It was 6 months between me completing my application, and being contacted to invite to assessments and interview. Then another 18 months after that until I got my start date. So don’t be too worried if you haven’t heard anything, hopefully you will hear soon

NorthernTech

It was 6 months between me completing my application, and being contacted to invite to assessments and interview. Then another 18 months after that until I got my start date. So don’t be too worried if you haven’t heard anything, hopefully you will hear soon
So have you finally heard back and been given a start date for a course? I think last time you were still waiting to hear back.