• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Europe Sparpreis validity improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Previously, I was under the impression that DB's international Sparpreis/Spezial offers were only available if you crossed the German border in an IC/ICE.
Now, for example, they are offering a €39 Sparpreis from Brussels-Mainz via Liege-Luxembourg-Cochem-Koblenz, on which the only German IC is from Koblenz-Mainz. (I had to fill in Liege and Cochem as the intermediate stops to force it to use that route).
Starting that routing from London doesn't seem to offer for London-Spezial prices however.

Has there been a change - is this a new thing?
Does it only apply to certain border crossings?

Thanks.

Edit: you also get a Sparpreis for Bregenz (Austria)-Stuttgart, where the only IC/ICE is on the Ulm-Stuttgart stretch, but no Sparpreis for the same journey entirely on regional trains.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some cross-border long-distance trains still operate in the traditional manner, with one country operating it to the border (and providing staff) and the other thereafter, with stock provided by one of them or a mix. Those are on DB's account, so the availability of a Sparpreis makes sense.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I used a "Sparpreis Europa" ticket from Luxembourg to Berlin a few weeks ago, for €69 first class.
This is initially RE to Koblenz, and was operated by a (very nice) CFL Stadler Kiss EMU.
Then IC to Dortmund, ICE to Berlin.

Veteran Member
Yes, the rules changed a couple of years back, and on some routes it doesn't seem to matter so long as you use IC/ICE at some point in Germany. I haven't quite worked out which routes are involved and what the logic is.

Last time I looked, via Mittenwald worked for Italy via Brenner, and Cheb for Plzen (Bayerisch Eisenstein is alsoOK) - and I think Weener for the Netherlands (until the bridge got demolished by a ship!).

It doesn't apply universally though, and a London Special has to use ICE right through to Brussels (BOJ in Belgium no longer permitted) - and Sparpreis Belgien still doesn't allow you to use the old route via Welkenraedt.

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
The rules were indeed relaxed by now quite some time ago, but as its DE/germany, there is always some big BUT:
It is now-in principle-and If the other railway also allows it, possible to get such discount tickets via ANY borderpoint-but many are only available via staffed booking offices (or ditto agencies).
Also various smaller foreign stations/stops are only available via such agents/staff (f.e. most minor stops in HU beyond BUDapest).
Since tomorrow, the advacne limit will be expanded to 6 monthes-but again ONLy if the other railways involved can also manage that. However_ from 6 till the current 3 month advance, only again via agents/staff.
There is -to balance- also a negative; BCs (bahncards=railcards) will now ONLY give the 25/50% discount (but 50% is not possible on sparpreise-only on normal full fare) for the german part and not for the foreign part anymore-how they calculate what railway gets what is not disclosed.
And these tickets (except probably on ICE In NL and BE for the trips to/fro there) are just as universal valid-with any breaks, permitted routings etc. as the quite expensive full-fare SCIC-tickets on the parts OUT of DE they can indeed be very good value.

Veteran Member
And these tickets (except probably on ICE In NL and BE for the trips to/fro there) are just as universal valid-with any breaks, permitted routings etc. as the quite expensive full-fare SCIC-tickets on the parts OUT of DE they can indeed be very good value.

Switzerland is a classic example (unless you hold a Halbtax card) - a Sparpreis from Freiburg/Breisgau to Zurich or beyond is significantly cheaper than a single from Basel (particularly useful for Tirano and Chiasso!)

Status
Not open for further replies.