• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB-(Germany) muss besser and billiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchflyer

Established Member
The new CEO has promised recently to make this railway better and cheaper.
Cheap fares: for this summer 2.000.000 19 eur single fares were offered for online sale only and as it was declared a success (I bought 4) another 250.000 were offered-now gone, untill 31/7. This also to counteract against the coaches (Fernbusse).
From 1/8 there are new offers:
Bahncards (Railcards) for 3 month as'' Probe=try-out'' though they turn into long time subscriptions If you do not notify them to cancel 6 weeks before ending. A BC25 (giving 25% off-also off low Sparpreise) is now only 19 eur=wich means that on a return of 2x49 eur it already offers 5,50 saving. F.e. the 2 hourly AMSterdam-Berlin IC-trains mostly cost 49 eur if booked beforehand. (many flights also-but no checked luggage and buses are cheaper). BC25 gives 5 eur off LOndon fares via Eurotunnel.
But there is now also a BC100: that means a network pass-for 3 month, 2nd cl. is 1249 and 1st is 2249. Thats lower as 2x a 14 day ATOC=All UK rover! Its valid on nearly all trains (notably not the narrow gauge and steamy east German branches) and also on over 125 Citynetworks on local bus/tram/metro-which the UK never has. BC100 on a yearly subscription costs 379 eur paid by the month. To compare: the swiss GeneralAbo (valid about anywhere-except high up the mountains in dangle-bahnen) cost CHF 330 a month=nearly 320 EUR. Here in NL its 299eur/month for train-only (you subscribe for at least a full year in both), or about 340/350 with bus/tram too.
I understand many of you are railwayworkers and qualify for FIP etc. but this may be a good buy for the real punters desiring to do all the lines in one go. I assume even 1 month is not enough for that (though now in summer there are 30-day DeutschlandPass network passes-train only!-that cost 349/449 for 2nd/1st class).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
It all sounds good and shows that DB wants to win back customers from the Fernbusse (coaches). I'm sure it will help to do so as DB's image among passengers in Germany has become worse since the numerous strikes and disruption of this year. The new offers are quite tempting, unfortunately I'm in the UK until October now so can't take advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.