• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2020 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

The timetable hasn’t even been updated as of last night either, which is rather worrying.
Having read this I tweeted Trans Pennine Express Customer Services this morning and got the following reply virtually straight away:

As a result of staff sickness, we have had to make some late notice changes to a number services on our South route over the next couple of weeks. These changes are only temporary and services will be reinstated once staffing numbers return to normal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Having read this I tweeted Trans Pennine Express Customer Services this morning and got the following reply virtually straight away:

As a result of staff sickness, we have had to make some late notice changes to a number services on our South route over the next couple of weeks. These changes are only temporary and services will be reinstated once staffing numbers return to normal.

That makes it sound not so bad. GWR have it bad right now I believe.

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWR have moved to an hourly service on the Shepperton line as of today and a usually very reliable source has just told me that they are intending to reinstate the much reduced timetable they ran during Lockdown 1.0. I have no further details.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
SWR have moved to an hourly service on the Shepperton line as of today and a usually very reliable source has just told me that they are intending to reinstate the much reduced timetable they ran during Lockdown 1.0. I have no further details.

As of 23.00 the night before there are already currently 132 cancellations for SWR tomorrow, mainly inner suburban workings. The covid related sickness sadly really is starting to bite

clagmonster

Established Member
The South Yorkshire Travel website reports that from 28th December, the Manchester-Sheffield-Doncaster-Cleethorpes service will be reduced from hourly to two-hourly.

Bad move. The only semi-wise thing to do would be to take out the two or three services that were only reinstated last week at the timetable change (from memory it's the 10:18 and 13:18 from Manchester).

The last thing we want/need is a service worse than during lockdown 1
There is currently a severe crew shortage at Cleethorpes. Barton Line currently completely suspended. There has been little choice but to reduce the south TPE service.

Damien1986

Anyone else notice that the Scotrail Argyle/North Clyde Line services for the 26th December/2nd January seem to be partially reverting to a Public Holiday Monday style timetable in that Helensburgh to Bathgate/Edinburgh services are reverting to running via Yoker and the Balloch services are once again going via Singer and through Central Low Level, this time with one train to Larkhall and the other to Motherwell via Whifflet.Furthermore would anyone agree that we seem to be reverting a pre December 2005 style timetable before everything was recast due to opening of the Larkhall line?

js1000

Northern services now uploaded. The uplifts seem to be mainly as listed in post #53, although there are only 7, not 10, tpd on the Liverpool - Warrington - Airport route (plus one which goes to Wilmslow instead of the Airport) - and most of them are in the evening.

The Rose Hill Marple service is slightly better than hourly, with a few half hour intervals.

A minor surprise is that one peak extra is restored on the Mid-Cheshire line - the 1719 Stockport to Chester.
The uplift to 10 express services between Liverpool and Manchester Airport has not occurred. I noticed this week there are some strange service frequencies on that Northern Liverpool to Manchester Airport route which suggest it has botched/amended at the last minute.

Mauldeth Road effectively now has an hourly service most of the day since the Covid reared its head with no service into Manchester between 07:12 and 08:00 (prior to May 2018 it was half-hourly). However it now has a 6-coach service to Blackpool at 08:53 and another 6-coach service to Liverpool at 09:00. Definitely a case of "just put it in" at the last minute rather than any substance of a plan with balanced service frequencies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The uplift to 10 express services between Liverpool and Manchester Airport has not occurred. I noticed this week there are some strange service frequencies on that Northern Liverpool to Manchester Airport route which suggest it has botched/amended at the last minute.

Mauldeth Road effectively now has an hourly service most of the day since the Covid reared its head with no service into Manchester between 07:12 and 08:00 (prior to May 2018 it was half-hourly). However it now has a 6-coach service to Blackpool at 08:53 and another 6-coach service to Liverpool at 09:00. Definitely a case of "just put it in" at the last minute rather than any substance of a plan with balanced service frequencies.

Apart from today the Liverpool ran as 3-car and yesterday it was cancelled before Piccadilly!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I noticed this week there are some strange service frequencies on that Northern Liverpool to Manchester Airport route which suggest it has botched/amended at the last minute.
It's been reduced to a three-hourly frequency, i.e. one unit diagram. Not ideal - but unlike cancelling a stopper everywhere will still have a train, even if slower.

AMD

I noticed this week there are some strange service frequencies on that Northern Liverpool to Manchester Airport route which suggest it has botched/amended at the last minute.
Not botched, just amended - there is a very high level of sickness within the driver grade.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I noticed today there was just 1 fast train from Clapham Junction to Guildford each hour. Is that due to the engineering works; due to the fact they are running less trains on a Saturday because of demand or covid-19 sickness?

Next weekend it is showing as 2 trains an hour. Tomorrow it is showing as 2 trains an hour too. They seem to be running something similar to the strike timetable today.

Established Member
I noticed today there was just 1 fast train from Clapham Junction to Guildford each hour. Is that due to the engineering works; due to the fact they are running less trains on a Saturday because of demand or covid-19 sickness?

Next weekend it is showing as 2 trains an hour. Tomorrow it is showing as 2 trains an hour too. They seem to be running something similar to the strike timetable today.
Engineering works between Clapham Jun and London Waterloo means most of the lines are closed between the two but at least 2 lines are open so some services can run through.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Engineering works between Clapham Jun and London Waterloo means most of the lines are closed between the two but at least 2 lines are open so some services can run through.
So is rhe engineering works greater today because they Tofts they are not running a train to Haslemere but last Thursday they were. Obviously the train to Haslemere stops at Clapham Junction.

Established Member
So is rhe engineering works greater today because they Tofts they are not running a train to Haslemere but last Thursday they were. Obviously the train to Haslemere stops at Clapham Junction.
Looks like the Haslemere services only ran last Thursday from around 1100 onwards when you look at real time trains along with more trains on other routes. The rest of the week looks very similar to today.

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWR have reduced their services as of today.

Somewhat hidden on the website:

"What's Going On

We’re sorry, but due to additional engineering work on our network, as well as a high number of our train crew impacted by COVID-19 we will be making the following alterations to our services from Monday 04/01/2021 onwards:

• A reduction in service on the Hounslow Loop – 1 train per hour will operate in both directions.
  • Reduction of service between Shepperton and London Waterloo (via Wimbledon) to 1 train per hour in both directions.
  • Removal of peak time additional services from Reading, Shepperton (via Twickenham), Farnham and Hounslow.
  • Removal of the 3 additional Epsom to Waterloo services in the morning peak.
  • Reduction of services between Salisbury and London Waterloo to an hourly frequency during peak periods.
  • Removal of the twice daily Salisbury to Bristol services.
Please check journey planners closer to your time of travel for the latest travel information."

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looks like the Haslemere services only ran last Thursday from around 1100 onwards when you look at real time trains along with more trains on other routes. The rest of the week looks very similar to today.
The Haslemere trains are running today. So maybe it was related to the engineering works on that Saturday.

AverageTD

SWR have reduced their services as of today.

Somewhat hidden on the website:

"What's Going On

We’re sorry, but due to additional engineering work on our network, as well as a high number of our train crew impacted by COVID-19 we will be making the following alterations to our services from Monday 04/01/2021 onwards:

• A reduction in service on the Hounslow Loop – 1 train per hour will operate in both directions.
  • Reduction of service between Shepperton and London Waterloo (via Wimbledon) to 1 train per hour in both directions.
  • Removal of peak time additional services from Reading, Shepperton (via Twickenham), Farnham and Hounslow.
  • Removal of the 3 additional Epsom to Waterloo services in the morning peak.
  • Reduction of services between Salisbury and London Waterloo to an hourly frequency during peak periods.
  • Removal of the twice daily Salisbury to Bristol services.
Please check journey planners closer to your time of travel for the latest travel information."
No surprises here, the Hounslow Loop is always the one that gets done in with restrictions. The Twickenham peaks have been on and off since the start of Lockdown 1 iirc.

greyman42

Established Member
Does anyone have any gen on if the new northern service will start running from york to scarborugh? It was due to start in may but obviusley didnt!
Cheers!
There has been a Northern 195 on the exam line at York this week. Have they been doing training runs on the York to Scarborough line?

Llandudno

Established Member
There has been a Northern 195 on the exam line at York this week. Have they been doing training runs on the York to Scarborough line?
Once lockdown is over I suspect that the new Northern service between York and Scarbados will be very well patronised this summer especially as it looks as though foreign travel will be off limits.

There are a few Yorkshire County Cricket matches earmarked for Scarborough too!

peters

On Moderation
Once lockdown is over I suspect that the new Northern service between York and Scarbados will be very well patronised this summer especially as it looks as though foreign travel will be off limits.

Based on Grant Shapps said there could still be restrictions on domestic travel this summer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

There are a few Yorkshire County Cricket matches earmarked for Scarborough too!

The service was six carriages last year, so hopefully that will be continued !

clagmonster

Established Member
York - Scarbs Northern service introduction is further delayed. No idea when it will start, if ever.

BoroAndy

The service was six carriages last year, so hopefully that will be continued !
That must have been 6 car TPE 185s. So if no Northern service will TPE have the extra summer trains between York and Scarborough this year? Would be embarrassing to see 68+mk5s jammed full.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That must have been 6 car TPE 185s. So if no Northern service will TPE have the extra summer trains between York and Scarborough this year? Would be embarrassing to see 68+mk5s jammed full.

If they'd actually ordered proper LHCS rather than single-ended unpowered MUs then they could have done something about that!

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Yes, it was double 185's.

Did Scarborough manage a summer service with more than 3 carriages prior to lockdown ?

If they'd actually ordered proper LHCS rather than single-ended unpowered MUs then they could have done something about that!

Or double ended un-powered MU's (A southern Region 4TC would be very comfortable :lol:)

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Traditional LHCS wasn’t available, no manufacturer currently offers it to British Loading gauge (you can’t buy if the shop doesn’t sell it).

CAF only offered derivatives of the mk5 sleeper so that’s what was chosen!

Greybeard33

Established Member
Traditional LHCS wasn’t available, no manufacturer currently offers it to British Loading gauge (you can’t buy if the shop doesn’t sell it).

CAF only offered derivatives of the mk5 sleeper so that’s what was chosen!
As I understand it, the Mk5 sleepers are similar to conventional LHCS, in that each coach has Dellner couplers that enable changes in formation.

Presumably it was TPE's choice to specify fixed formation 5-car sets with bar couplers like MUs.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What has happened to the Gatwick Airport to Reading services? They were running but now I can't see them.

Have they be cancelled due to a lack of passenger numbers? I looked on the GWR Web Site but they only refer you to their online journey planner.

I hope there isn't going to months of no direct trains like there was last year. Last year when lockdown eased they still didn't run any direct trains until mid September.

In fact one weekend they had to run some emergency shuttles between Redhill and Gatwick Airport due to engineering works causing an almost hours wait at Redhill, since the stopper arrived just after the only service to Gatwick Airport departed. A problem that wouldn't have occurred if direct trains were running. Admittedly Govia Thameslink Railway didn't take this into account when planning their emergency timetable. Assuming they could have retained their service.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What has happened to the Gatwick Airport to Reading services? They were running but now I can't see them.

Have they be cancelled due to a lack of passenger numbers? I looked on the GWR Web Site but they only refer you to the timetable.

I hope there isn't going to months of no direct trains like there was last year. Last year when lockdown eased they still didn't run any direct trains.
Still running but a big gap in the middle of the day between 0830 and 1429 when the service is limited to Redhill starters.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-02-25/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Departures appear to be 0510, 0702, 0802, 0832, 1429, 1529, 1629, 1729, 1828, 1929, 2129, 2229 from Gatwick (as shown in the link).

Presumably they are limiting the North Downs service to 1tph during the day because the trains don't have many passengers.

Only one early (0524) and three late evening services (2122, 2217, 2320) on Saturday.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-02-27/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I did count 12 people on a train I saw passing across Reigate level crossing the other day.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Have they be cancelled due to a lack of passenger numbers? I looked on the GWR Web Site but they only refer you to the timetable.

I hope there isn't going to months of no direct trains like there was last year. Last year when lockdown eased they still didn't run any direct trains.
They were running to Gatwick until a few weeks back when they had a track defect on the Down Fast and were curtailed to Redhill and have stayed there since. I walk the dog near NDL at Reigate and these services are pretty empty currently but when the college goes back next week that will all change again so should full service back in morning and afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.