• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2020 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The direct “Intercity” service between London and Holyhead, has existed since the mid-1800s.

It really isn’t anything new.

There was an overnight sleeper service (down only) until 1986! The sleeper coaches were returned to London on the daytime Irish Mail service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There was an overnight sleeper service (down only) until 1986! The sleeper coaches were returned to London on the daytime Irish Mail service.
I thought it was Up only - 0100-ish from Holyhead - as the Down connected with a ferry leaving about 0300 so got you much less sleep if you were going to Ireland.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I thought it was Up only - 0100-ish from Holyhead - as the Down connected with a ferry leaving about 0300 so got you much less sleep if you were going to Ireland.

Perhaps it was - I may have misremembered what I’ve read.

berneyarms

Established Member
Correct - the sleeper was Holyhead-London connecting off the 20:45 Sealink sailing from Dún Laoghaire by the St. Columba.

Some people may be too young to realise the massive volume of foot passenger traffic across the Irish Sea, prior to the arrival of Ryanair in 1985.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Correct - the sleeper was Holyhead-London connecting off the 20:45 Sealink sailing from Dún Laoghaire by the St. Columba.

Some people may be too young to realise the massive volume of foot passenger traffic across the Irish Sea, prior to the arrival of Ryanair in 1985.

Footfall will return in decent numbers when duty free trips start again on Jan 1st :)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Footfall will return in decent numbers when duty free trips start again on Jan 1st :)

If only Ireland were a bit sunnier... or at least less rainy... I'd move there in the new year in a heartbeat if I had fewer commitments here. But I think we're discussing other things than next month's timetable change.

Established Member
EMR PDF timetables are now on the website. Looks like it is the same base timetable as the September one but the Worksop services once again stop at all stations in the day so no buses are required to fill the gaps. The London timetable shows services run just by HSTs or 222s but 180s are due in service and HSTs reduced.

peters

On Moderation
Wouldn't fancy turning up expecting a HST and getting a 180 !

To be fair if you turn up for an Intercity service and get an Intercity train you can't complain that it's not your preferred type, unless it's too small for the number of passengers. It's worse that Pacers got used on long services, while some short local services got regional standard trains.

Established Member
Wouldn't fancy turning up expecting a HST and getting a 180 !
Personally I wouldn't mind a 180. Only been on them once and I quite like them but I do prefer a HST to a 222 or 180.

Looking at Real Time Trains it does look like the diagrams are going to change quite a bit in December and HST use may become fairly limited in the day. The three HST from Neville Hill depot in the morning go to Cricklewood after arriving in London and the evening trips all come off Cricklewood at some point in the afternoon. The platform numbers at St Pancras suggests that the Nottingham Fasts will interwork with other services which removes the 70 min layover and reducing the need to double up on platforms.

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't mind a 180. Only been on them once and I quite like them but I do prefer a HST to a 222 or 180.

Looking at Real Time Trains it does look like the diagrams are going to change quite a bit in December and HST use may become fairly limited in the day. The three HST from Neville Hill depot in the morning go to Cricklewood after arriving in London and the evening trips all come off Cricklewood at some point in the afternoon. The platform numbers at St Pancras suggests that the Nottingham Fasts will interwork with other services which removes the 70 min layover and reducing the need to double up on platforms.

There are also significantly more EMR ECS between St Pancras and Cricklewood compared to now from the December timetable, which is a blatant attempt to keep the mileage down to a minimum on the remaining HST diagrams, and cover whatever possible with the 222/180 fleet, which is sensible enough if they can get the 180s to work.

There will be at least some opportunities for off peak HST trips though, e.g. reading into RTT 1434 St Pancras to Nottingham and 1645 return which then forms the 1904 to Leeds.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
There are also significantly more EMR ECS between St Pancras and Cricklewood compared to now from the December timetable, which is a blatant attempt to keep the mileage down to a minimum on the remaining HST diagrams, and cover whatever possible with the 222/180 fleet, which is sensible enough if they can get the 180s to work.

The biggest driver behind this is to try and provide ‘accessible’ stock on as many journeys as possible.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Scotrail announcing a reduction from 30th November, apparently reducing trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Looking at the timetable, I see no difference from any other time?

----- NEW POST ----

From 14th December Scotrail are cutting the hourly fast service via Shotts. Shotts returns to an hourly train service.

diamond chap

Scotrail announcing a reduction from 30th November, apparently reducing trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Looking at the timetable, I see no difference from any other time?

----- NEW POST ----

From 14th December Scotrail are cutting the hourly fast service via Shotts. Shotts returns to an hourly train service.
I noticed a difference on the Falkirk High route - there are currently 15 minutes between successive services in the weekday morning and evening peaks and 30 minutes during the rest of the day. From the timetable change, the service reduces to every 30 minutes all day.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looking at Stockport the South TPE gaps seem to have been plugged to reinstate the full service.

D6975

Established Member

The eNRT has been postponed. From the NR Site:​

December 2020 NRT – update​

The December 2020 NRT has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on the volume of change on the operational timetable. This level of change means we cannot produce an NRT that represents a high standard of accuracy and therefore would not benefit our customers.

We will update the site in future when we have a proposed date for the NRT to be published.

In the meantime please refer to National Rail Enquiries' website for the latest operator timetables.

TEW

Established Member
SWR's planned December 2020 timetable change will not be going ahead as planned now. The weekday timetable will run as per now until March, although the new weekend timetable will come in. RTT now reflects this.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
So TPE December timetable will not go ahead also?

TPE’s timetable was also ‘descoped’ from what was originally planned. This descoped timetable has been in the downstream systems such as National Rail and Real Time Trains for a couple of weeks at least now.

SWR’s has only more recently been uploaded to these systems.

DaveHarries

Established Member
GWR have a poster at Bristol Temple Meads giving at least some of their changes from 13th December and RTT does carry these. Cuts to late evening and Sunday morning services from Bristol, Didcot, Oxford and Paddington for starters but there are some increases in weekday services as well along with additional services between Par and Newquay.

Dave

Attachments

• 20201123_132227.jpg
    20201123_132227.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 124

Mintona

Established Member
Wow, that is late first London from Bristol on a Sunday. It’s been 07.45 since I can remember.

I’m guessing it is probably as much to do with Bristol East Jn remodelling work as anything else.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Wow, that is late first London from Bristol on a Sunday. It’s been 07.45 since I can remember.

I’m guessing it is probably as much to do with Bristol East Jn remodelling work as anything else.

Yes, there is a very significant bank of work to be undertaken by Network Rail to ensure next summer’s Bristol East blockades can go ahead, and follow up work afterward.

peters

On Moderation
Some Northern services for w/c 15/12/2020 included in the new pdf timetable booklets are currently missing on RTT.

jonnyfan

Some Northern services for w/c 15/12/2020 included in the new pdf timetable booklets are currently missing on RTT.
There's going to be some services removed temporarily until mid-January due to increasing levels of covid related absence around the Manchester & Liverpool depots - I'd expect something on the website shortly to explain any changes

peters

On Moderation
There's going to be some services removed temporarily until mid-January due to increasing levels of covid related absence around the Manchester & Liverpool depots - I'd expect something on the website shortly to explain any changes

Not good for anyone who already has bought Advance tickets for travel over Christmas. There is already a message about Liverpool to Manchester 'service amendments' for this week.

**Update**
Northern's pdf timetables have been updated. Some services now have a W at the top of the column, meaning the service doesn't operate until 25th January.

Last edited:

js1000

I presume these are the missing Liverpool to Manchester Airport express services? We were expecting an uplift of 10 services in December. I think there are only 6 accounted for on RTT currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.