• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decimalisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not that long ago, the local off licence had some Eighty Shilling beer for sale. I asked for two bottles. This completey baffled the assistant. At the time, the bottles were still labelled "80/-". I see this has now been changed.
IIRC, "Eighty shillings" was never the price of a bottle of the beer, it more reflected the value/duty payable, back in the day, on a full hogshead barrel of the product, the higher the quality and alcohol content, the higher value the "shilling" designation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If it was the (round) silver threepence, then yes, 50% silver, however the twelve sided version was just brass.
Yep, the wee silvery ones; I have a couple of both types. I believe the later ones were often called "wooden" thruppennies

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not heard that before, but in the U.S., they did occasionally have "wooden nickels", which were low denomination coins/tokens issued at times of economic distress, such as during the mid 1930s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not heard that before, but in the U.S., they did occasionally have "wooden nickels", which were low denomination coins/tokens issued at times of economic distress, such as during the mid 1930s.
Unless it's a specifically Scottish term? My grandparents both used the term referring to the post-1943 twelve-sided brass ones.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe that silver and brass threepences were issued in parallel for a number of years, maybe for almost as long as a decade; don't think that 1943 was the switchover year. Both variants were still legal tender until August 1971, some six months or so after decimalisation, IIRC.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Believe that silver and brass threepences were issued in parallel for a number of years, maybe for almost as long as a decade; don't think that 1943 was the switchover year. Both variants were still legal tender until August 1971, some six months or so after decimalisation, IIRC.
Not switchover as as you say the silver ones continued to be minted but 1943 is when the brass twelve-sided ones first appeared

Bevan Price

Established Member
Silver 3d pieces were made until 1945, although 1944 is the last year when many were issued. According to Wikipedia, many of the 1945 issue were melted down for their silver content, and were not widely circulated.

"Brass" 12-sided 3d pieces were made from 1937 until 1967, plus some 1970 coins in "proof sets" (for coin / souvenir collectors).
Some trial coins were made dated 1937, with the head of King Edward VIII, but he abdicated before they were issued. A handful "escaped" and are worth a small fortune if you find one.

Veteran Member
The tight-fisted treasurer of a school model railway club (moi) refused the official guidance to ignore the 1/2p in his accounts. I'm sure a packet of Peco rail joiners was 9 1/2p...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
View attachment 90477It happened 50 years ago next week, were you ready for D Day?
A little-known railway fact is that the leaflets were printed somewhere in the Solent area and despatched across the whole of GB, by rail, from Eastleigh of all places. It required quite a bit of effort to assemble the necessary number of 'parcels' vans.

peteb

We had only just learnt to do sums at school in £sd when they started decimalisation! I recall my parents said everything went up in a huge leap at the time. School dinners were 8s9d a week in 1969, 9s11d in 1970 but on decimalisation shot up to 60p (12 shillings) a week. Same for groceries and some things went from eg 8d (3 1/2p) to 8p (1s7d).

Spamcan81

IIRC, "Eighty shillings" was never the price of a bottle of the beer, it more reflected the value/duty payable, back in the day, on a full hogshead barrel of the product, the higher the quality and alcohol content, the higher value the "shilling" designation.

You are correct. From Wikipedia - Light(60/-) was under 3.5% abv. Heavy(70/-) was between 3.5% and 4.0% abv. Export(80/-) was between 4.0% and 5.5% abv. Wee heavy(90/-) was over 6.0% abv.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I remember a friend of mine discussing what abv meant, when looking at an old beer mat on a pub wall a couple of years ago.

Needless to say, I'd had a few so didn't take it in.

DelW

Established Member
You are correct. From Wikipedia - Light(60/-) was under 3.5% abv. Heavy(70/-) was between 3.5% and 4.0% abv. Export(80/-) was between 4.0% and 5.5% abv. Wee heavy(90/-) was over 6.0% abv.
Though at the time of decimalisation and for years after, beer strength was normally quoted in OG, original gravity, relative to water at 1000. That's a measure of the fermentable sugars which can be converted into alcohol in the finished beer.

The correlation isn't exact, but roughly the OG is 1000 + (10 × ABV%) so 4.5% ~ 1045 OG.

XAM2175

Established Member
Co-incidentally it's also 55 years today since Decimal Day in Australia, 14 Feb 1966. Since it was also a complete conversion from the pound to the dollar it also involved replacement of all coins and banknote with new versions.

It also involved the very difficult decision of what to name the new currency; for a little while we nearly got stuck with the 'royal' :|

Really? I run my own chip shop and I always add up the prices in my head in spite of my electric till being able to do it for me.
The manager at the cinema I worked at once upon a time insisted on staff having at least a basic grasp of mental arithmetic - we had to put everything through the till regardless, but he disabled the change calculation and had us work that mentally every time.

Calthrop

Established Member
Silver 3d pieces were made until 1945, although 1944 is the last year when many were issued. According to Wikipedia, many of the 1945 issue were melted down for their silver content, and were not widely circulated.

"Brass" 12-sided 3d pieces were made from 1937 until 1967, plus some 1970 coins in "proof sets" (for coin / souvenir collectors).
Some trial coins were made dated 1937, with the head of King Edward VIII, but he abdicated before they were issued. A handful "escaped" and are worth a small fortune if you find one.

I may well have mentioned this already on these Forums; but it's well-known that many of the American armed-forces personnel stationed in Britain in World War II, were decidedly flummoxed by our non-decimal currency and its assorted coins. Have read that they tended to harbour a borderline-furious hatred for 3d's, which they called "******* coins". I'd speculate that this sentiment would have been in part, because of there being two different kinds of 3d, highly different in appearance -- with the Yanks feeling that this was simply not fair.

Edit: forgot the auto-censor -- think "coins whose parents were not married to each other".

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
..................... I recall my parents said everything went up in a huge leap at the time. School dinners were 8s9d a week in 1969, 9s11d in 1970 but on decimalisation shot up to 60p (12 shillings) a week. Same for groceries and some things went from eg 8d (3 1/2p) to 8p (1s7d).
I agree there were some "hidden" prices rises. See my item in item no. 3

duncanp

Established Member
I agree there were some "hidden" prices rises. See my item in item no. 3

Working out percentages must have been a pain, but I recall that there were tables to help you do this.

Just because I have been very bored during lockdown I tried to knock up an Excel spreadsheet to work this out so:-

If the Pounds are in Cell H6, the Shillings are in Cell I6, the pennies are in Cell J6 and the percentage you want to calculate is in cell I8 then:

• The pounds in the answer =INT((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)/240
  • The shillings in the answer = INT(((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)-240*(INT((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)/240)))/12)
  • The pennies in the answer = (INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)-240*(INT((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)/240))-12*(INT(((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)-240*(INT((INT(I8*(240*H6+12*I6+J6))+1)/240)))/12))
So for example 36.4% of £22 13s 9d is £8 5s 2d

There is probably a mistake in there somewhere, especially with rounding, but don't worry I will go out and get a life now. :D

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I found a silver threepence walking down a country road once, would have been about 1965. Always wondered how long it had just been lying there in the gravel.

But I don’t seem to be able to find an end date for using them, does anyone know?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I found a silver threepence walking down a country road once, would have been about 1965. Always wondered how long it had just been lying there in the gravel.

But I don’t seem to be able to find an end date for using them, does anyone know?
As mentioned upthread in post #67, silver threepences could still officially be spent (had to be in multiples of 6d) up to end August 1971, some six months or so after decimalisation "D Day".

Will still have some intrinsic value now due to having actual silver content (probably 50%, might be 92.5%).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As mentioned upthread in post #67, silver threepences could still officially be spent (had to be in multiples of 6d) up to end August 1971, some six months or so after decimalisation "D Day".
Oh right, sorry I missed that. So they remained still valid alongside the 12 sided version, although I dont think I ever saw one in my loose change. I think I saw more in Christmas puddings than in real life...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So they remained still valid alongside the 12 sided version, although I dont think I ever saw one in my loose change.
Officially yes, but I never saw any either, other than in a Christmas pud or Christmas trifle.

In a similar vein, you scarcely ever saw Victorian GB silver (or bronze) coins in general circulation, except for the very occasional and extremely worn down specimens.

Belhaven Brewery in Dunbar still produce a cask-conditioned 80/- ale. When the pubs are open it probably now does cost around £4 a pint in Edinburgh.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The manager at the cinema I worked at once upon a time insisted on staff having at least a basic grasp of mental arithmetic - we had to put everything through the till regardless, but he disabled the change calculation and had us work that mentally every time.
I can remember when tills didn't calculate change and the cashier had to hand it back coin by coin, counting upwards from the amount due to the amount tendered. They mostly stopped doing that in the 80s when the till started doing the calculation. Which made it much more difficult to check if you were getting the right change!
Officially yes, but I never saw any either, other than in a Christmas pud or Christmas trifle.
An elderly maiden aunt always used to get those every year, just before she walloped us at Pit if anyone can remember that, and never returned them. I think we found a small trove when clearing her flat after the funeral.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Belhaven Brewery in Dunbar still produce a cask-conditioned 80/- ale. When the pubs are open it probably now does cost around £4 a pint in Edinburgh.
And you are a brave man to drink that. Awful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.