• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Defunct track near Brightside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat17

I've been wondering this for a long while.

There's a stretch of partially dismantled and overgrown track which runs along the main line, heading towards Sheffield from Meadowhall. It begins just after the old Brightside station and continues as far as the Attercliffe Road area of Sheffield. Does anyone know what it served? I'm assuming long closed steelworks or something similar and how long it has been out of use? It certainly been like that since the late 1990s from memory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan2019

At first I thought it was the old lynx parcels building as I'm sure there was a line serving there but that was brightside lane I think. I think royal mail are there now though.

takno

Established Member
Looks like you mean line around here: https://traksy.uk/live/M+38+BTSDE Looks like about 1 train in every 250 down the main line uses the loop as a passing loop, and about the same again go into Attercliffe Sidings. On the other hand that bit of line certainly isn't dismantled! Looks from Google maps like there are some sections of disused track on the other side, which may be what you're referring to. I understand that the line out to Meadhall used to be four-track, so it might just be the remains of that.

Mat17

I didn't mean the passing loop behind Brightside station, you are on the correct side though. Travelling from Meadowhall there's the loop line running behind the station, it rejoins and then you get the beginning of the redundant track shortly after. It runs parallel to the Down line before branching off onto a separate bridge and they disappear into the undergrowth.

takno

Established Member
Have you tried searching on the old 25” maps on the national library of Scotland site?
Using the side by side option should help transfer from the present view:
Best I can do there is https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=53.39553&lon=-1.44431&layers=11&b=1 . Looks like a fairly substantial factory/industrial area with a fair number of sidings. The buildings that are there now look relatively new, so maybe it went in the last 20 years or so.

Mat17

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If you mean the disused line that runs parallel to Downgate Drive and fizzles out after the bridge over the B6083 (Newhall Rd) it looks to have run into the Atlas Steel and Iron Works, then the Cyclops Works and then onto a MR Goods Stn at Wicker. See the NLS map 1888-1913:
Wicker was also the original passenger terminus before Midland Station was built. The route towards it continues the straight line from the Rotherham direction and the later line towards Midland curves off.

Mat17

Here's a picture of the works on "Britain from Above" dated 1922.
The picture is facing NE and the road on the right will be Brightside Lane with the bridge where it goes under the current mainline into Sheffield.
That's a great shot, just shows how much things have changed! I had assumed that the rail network in that area was extensive, however only seeing it like this shows how much the industry and rail network has been pruned since the mid-20th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.