• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay causes - detailed statistics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Train operators publish some performance data, such as this example from Transport for Wales Rail Services (TfW). Among other things, TfW shows the percentage of delay minutes attributable to TfW, Network Rail, and other train operators (TOCs).

However, both TOC and Network Rail delays can obviously have various different causes, I think the Delay Attribution Guide I've seen posted elsewhere on this forum lists over 270 possible reasons for a delay. Is there anywhere where the percentage of delays attributable to each cause is broken down to anything like that extent? Perhaps one of the open-data websites?

Of course in the real world it is also possible for a train to be delayed by multiple events in the course of its journey. For example a 2-car class 175 on a Milford Haven to Manchester run could be held due to animals on the line then allowed to proceed (after the line had been cleared) and later end up leaving Swansea just before a GWR HST and thus being further delayed as passengers who have turned up early for the HST try to cram aboard at Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend. Can (and does) the rail industry record the number of minutes attributable to each cause or do they have to chose one reason the train was late?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
I would expect the second delay to be a seperate incident, probably a Y code. You could try and FOI the info.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I would expect the second delay to be a seperate incident, probably a Y code. You could try and FOI the info.
Thanks for the reply. Do I take it that each incident is recorded seperately and there is no limit of only one delay cause per service?

I did consider whether this would be a case for an FOI request but thought I would check whether this information is already in the public domain first. Also, if FOI is needed, who would hold this information? The TOCs, being private companies, are not FOI-able. Network Rail or DfT? Or the other Transport for Wales for the Welsh franchise?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply. Do I take it that each incident is recorded seperately and there is no limit of only one delay cause per service?

I did consider whether this would be a case for an FOI request but thought I would check whether this information is already in the public domain first. Also, if FOI is needed, who would hold this information? The TOCs, being private companies, are not FOI-able. Network Rail or DfT? Or the other Transport for Wales for the Welsh franchise?
Yes, you could have a load of different incidents against one schedule. NR might hold the information, no idea for how long it goes back though.

daveshah

If you don't mind which TOC, you could also try an FOI to LNER who are government owned therefore FOI'able.

flitwickbeds

www.trainclaimer.com/stats

Can filter by date(s), operator(s), individual station(s), region(s), and even specific train(s). You can see data for cancellations, part cancellations, late, very late, on time, and more.

Once you've arranged your filter, click "View reasons" to get a breakdown (via pie charts) of the reasons stated.

Data from RTT I believe.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Of course in the real world it is also possible for a train to be delayed by multiple events in the course of its journey. For example a 2-car class 175 on a Milford Haven to Manchester run could be held due to animals on the line then allowed to proceed (after the line had been cleared) and later end up leaving Swansea just before a GWR HST and thus being further delayed as passengers who have turned up early for the HST try to cram aboard at Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend. Can (and does) the rail industry record the number of minutes attributable to each cause or do they have to chose one reason the train was late?

To answer this question, delays are allocated on to specific sections of route. Trains can be delayed by different causes in different places, and these are allocated, by minute of delay, accordingly. Delays are also attributed by immediate cause and also the incident.

Where it gets interesting is if an already late train, delayed by 2 or more causes, is further delayed by being ‘out of path’ and thus held for other ‘right time’ trains. That delay is attributed to regulation (regulated for an on time service), but the minutes go to whichever of the earlier incidents caused the most delay.

It’s logical but complicated, and all on the DAG.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Thanks again for the help so far. I tried to FOI Network Rail but they didn't have the details I was after and suggested that I try TfW. I'm now putting together an FOI request to TfW, but I thought it might be useful if I could be more specific with what I'm asking. With that in mind, here's another question:

I seem to recall that, back in Arriva Trains Wales days, there were posters at some stations showing the Public Performance Measure (PPM) percentage for routes in the area. For example, at Shrewsbury I think they had stats for the Cambrian (can't remember if Holyhead-Birmingham was included in that). Does anyone have a list of the area summaries that are/were available so that I can request data for just the areas I'm interested in?

Spartacus

Established Member
To answer this question, delays are allocated on to specific sections of route. Trains can be delayed by different causes in different places, and these are allocated, by minute of delay, accordingly. Delays are also attributed by immediate cause and also the incident.

Where it gets interesting is if an already late train, delayed by 2 or more causes, is further delayed by being ‘out of path’ and thus held for other ‘right time’ trains. That delay is attributed to regulation (regulated for an on time service), but the minutes go to whichever of the earlier incidents caused the most delay.

It’s logical but complicated, and all on the DAG.

And if they’re both the same, delay is split. Where it gets really interesting is where the number of equal delay causes is greater than the number of minutes you have to attribute.:s:s

Status
Not open for further replies.