• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday 1/9/19

My itinerary was as follows,
Dep Nottingham 09:54
Arr Birmingham N/S 11:02

Dep Birmingham Moor St 11:55
Arr London Marylebone 13:38

The train from Nottingham was cancelled, Lack of a conductor/guard and ran ecs Not to Bhm

We were advised to take next available service at 11:11 arriving BHM 12:21

My question is, I realize I can claim full refund for the cancelled Crosscountry 09:54 train BUT can I make a claim for the Chiltern Trains service at 11:55 as well which I missed?

In the end I bought an advance ticket and traveled Virgin Trains from BHM and payed the additional fee.
Could I have asked for my Chiltern ticket to be endorsed ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What ticket(s) did you originally have? Which of these were used and which (if any) remained unused?WWhat additional fees did you pay?

What time did you arrive into Euston? What was your final destination?

What ticket(s) did you originally have? Which of these were used and which (if any) remained unused?WWhat additional fees did you pay?

What time did you arrive into Euston? What was your final destination?

All tickets were "Advance"
I did use the NOT-BHM ticket on the 11:11 service, Didn't use the Birmingham Moor St to Marylebone at all

I bought a new ticket to travel Birmingham to Euston @ £23.50

Final destination was London

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can claim delay repay from XC for the first ticket.

The second ticket from Birmingham to Marylebone should be refunded from the retailer; you would need to explain the reason you chose not to use that ticket was due to a delay on a connecting service with a different ticket. Enclose a copy of the the first ticket and booking confirmation with your claim.

You could have sought permission to use the original tickets on Virgin; had permission been granted this would have reduced your delay repay payments accordingly (possibly to zero depending on how good the connections were), or you could have continued to Marylebone and if you didn't recover any time you would have had 100 per cent compensation for the entire journey.

You can recover the cheaper fare to Marylebone but not the fare you did use to Euston.

The second ticket from Birmingham to Marylebone should be refunded from the retailer; you would need to explain the reason you chose not to use that ticket was due to a delay on a connecting service with a different ticket. Enclose a copy of the the first ticket and booking confirmation with your claim.

You could have sought permission to use the original tickets on Virgin; had permission been granted this would have reduced your delay repay payments accordingly (possibly to zero depending on how good the connections were), or you could have continued to Marylebone and if you didn't recover any time you would have had 100 per cent compensation for the entire journey.

You can recover the cheaper fare to Marylebone but not the fare you did use to Euston.

Thanks Yorkie, Do I claim direct with XC or through TFW whom I did purchase from originally for all tickets?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks Yorkie, Do I claim direct with XC or through TFW whom I did purchase from originally for all tickets?
Delay Repay is claimed from XC and the refund for the unused ticket is claimed from the retailer, TfW.

For what it's worth, I think it is unlikely that Virgin would have granted permission to use your ticket on their service from Birmingham to Euston.

hkstudent

Established Member

For OP in future, all legs of a rail journey are protected, no matter how many tickets/legs you have split, as long as the journey is within minimum connection time (which can be checked by using National Rail Journey Planner to validate your journey, or using BRFARES to check specific connection time at each station)

For OP in future, all legs of a rail journey are protected, no matter how many tickets/legs you have split, as long as the journey is within minimum connection time (which can be checked by using National Rail Journey Planner to validate your journey, or using BRFARES to check specific connection time at each station)

Thanks for that advice, I've filled in delay repay form with XC lets see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.