• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay claims rejected

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
West Midlands Trains repay takes forever. My recent experience over two separate successful claims is that when they say 'may take up to 10 days', they really mean it, for both the acceptance and then additionally the time to make the refund. Overall, from claim to getting the money in your bank is a minimum of three weeks and sometimes longer.

Compare with TPE, delayed Saturday, claimed Monday, all approved and monies received on Friday of same week.

West Midlands Trains just don't have enough staff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
I've usually found WMT very quick to confirm that my claim is valid. It does take about a week to receive the money but I haven't had a problem with them agreeing the claim, it's usually the next day after I submit it.

northwichcat

Correction: The company which WMT, Chiltern, TfW (and others?) outsource delay repay to doesn't have enough staff.

Or maybe they have plenty of staff but the value of the contract only allows them to allocate a certain number of staff to working on it.

DatGuy135

Correction: The company which WMT, Chiltern, TfW (and others?) outsource delay repay to doesn't have enough staff.

When I last used TfW delay repay it was automated presumably - it was approved 1 minute after I made the claim!

northwichcat

When I last used TfW delay repay it was automated presumably - it was approved 1 minute after I made the claim!

If you're making a simple journey using 1 train and the computer confirms it was delayed by over 15 minutes then it may not need a human to confirm it's a valid application. Getting paid will take longer than 1 minute though!

Kite159

Veteran Member
If you're making a simple journey using 1 train and the computer confirms it was delayed by over 15 minutes then it may not need a human to confirm it's a valid application. Getting paid will take longer than 1 minute though!
Depends if you use PayPal as that normally comes as soon as the claim is approved.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I've usually found WMT very quick to confirm that my claim is valid. It does take about a week to receive the money but I haven't had a problem with them agreeing the claim, it's usually the next day after I submit it.

Twice WMT have promised me compensation and then nothing has happened. The first time I chased them for many months, before they dealt with it in the end. The second time, the promise of compensation was about 4 months ago now and I'm still waiting... They might agree quickly that they owe you something, but actually actioning it is another matter...

lachlan

My record so far is 41p, I also have an RTV worth 48p (a very useful insurance policy!). I don't really travel enough to get any less than that though (given the cost of the regular journeys I make) unfortunately
I once got 25p back for a journey between Montpelier and Shirehampton. Those Severn Beach line tickets are very cheap, especially with a railcard!

trainophile

Established Member
Twice WMT have promised me compensation and then nothing has happened. The first time I chased them for many months, before they dealt with it in the end. The second time, the promise of compensation was about 4 months ago now and I'm still waiting... They might agree quickly that they owe you something, but actually actioning it is another matter...
Lost in the system after all this time. You need to chase that up.

northwichcat

A delay of an hour on a £1 ticket, and subsequently the delay repay claim of such, costs both the claimant and the TOC more than £1 in man-hours at minimum wage.

For most people the time spent to claim is only an issue if you're short on time. For instance, you probably wouldn't turn down an overtime shift to do Delay Repay claims!

If you're saying the true value of Delay Repay depends on paying myself at least minimum wage to make the claim, then I'd also say the true cost of the ticket is higher. For instance, if I spent 5 minutes researching the best ticket options and then a further 2 minutes purchasing tickets, then I've incurred a cost of at least £1.30 to purchase them.

SteveM70

Established Member
A delay of an hour on a £1 ticket, and subsequently the delay repay claim of such, costs both the claimant and the TOC more than £1 in man-hours at minimum wage.

Remember this can happen with Northern when they have their sales, and one of the options for delay repay over an hour is a free ticket to go anywhere on their network. Depending on what it’s used for, that can be worth a lot of money

Kite159

Veteran Member
Remember this can happen with Northern when they have their sales, and one of the options for delay repay over an hour is a free ticket to go anywhere on their network. Depending on what it’s used for, that can be worth a lot of money
Agreed there, a free return ticket from memory for over an hour so easily could be worth more than £1 if someone uses it to commute to/from work one day or even on a day trip

317 forever

Established Member
I once got 25p back for a journey between Montpelier and Shirehampton. Those Severn Beach line tickets are very cheap, especially with a railcard!
While it is the principle of the thing, I'm sure your battery/electricity/time to claim cost you more than that 25p. ;)