• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay: on a Day Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServerHoster

I'm going out on the Cheshire Day Ranger tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am travelling from Sandbach, one of the stations with an emergency bus replacement. The bus is a replacement to Stockport, and NRE estimates 1 hour 37 minutes, departing at xx.08 past the hour. I just tweeted Northern who told me different info, departing at xx.55 past the hour, taking 35 minutes. I don't believe them, the train takes 35 minutes, and also departs at xx.55, and a replacement bus should certainly take longer.

Will I be able to claim delay repay on this basis, as they have told me the bus is xx.55 but NRE says xx.08?
And most importantly, can I claim delay repay on my Cheshire Day Ranger?

The service should be leaving Sandbach at 55 minutes past the hour ^RH
This is towards Stockport ^RH
Services should arrive 35 minutes after leaving Sandbach ^RH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Delay Repay should be based on the timetable that's advertised when you buy your ticket, though some will try and fob you off by saying it's the timetable that's in force at 2200 the day before travel as that's what their official performance is measured against.

As it currently stands, journey planners aren't offering any timings for Sandbach to Manchester tomorrow whatsoever, with or without buses. Hopefully that'll change shortly after 2200.

ServerHoster

They've just "pre-cancelled" all the trains for tomorrow - Northern app showing the trains but "journey cancelled". Yet no buses appearing on the app.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
But yes, you can always apply for delay repay when on a day ranger. Don't ask me how they calculate it though!

SeanG

I claimed on a rover ticket last year with TFW. I had to do it via email with them as their online system doesn't recognise rover tickets.

It was calculated the same as for any other ticket.
Ie the rover was £44. I was delayed 2+hrs and so I got the full £44 back.

I complained that I couldn't do it via the online form and I also received a £10 RTV as an apology (which ironically I claimed Delay Repay on from Northern, got one of their free tickets, and did a journey worth about £60!)

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Rover/Ranger delay repay is very hit and miss. I've had varying results when claiming on a 1st class ALR for instance...

Super Hans

Some TOCs allow you to choose Ranger/Rover as a ticket option when claiming DR, however as it is a ticket that can't automatically be compensated against they bypass automation. To work out the compensation you divide the number of days by the ticket price and it is processed as a return ticket. So if it is valid for one day (Ranger) it will be processed as a day return.

A rover ticket that is valid for 3 days out of 7 for example, will be divided by 3 and processed as a return. Example £30 rover would be 3 x day return at £10. In that case there would be a daily cap on compensation of £10 (you wouldn't be refunded £20 if you were delayed by 120 minutes twice in one day) and for the ticket of £30.

Status
Not open for further replies.