• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay on a Northern complimentary travel pass: ideas for journeys on Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

This is a what if question (so it my be in the wrong section if so please move it to the correct section). If I was traveling from BIF to Hull on a complimentary travel pass the first train that I would get is the 05;49 from BIF to Carnforth (CNF) then the 06;57 CNF to Leeds on to the 08;55 to Hull arrive 10;05.

But if I get off at CNF for the 06;57 only to find out that it's been cancelled. So my next option is the 07;39 CNF to Preston (PRE) for the 08;44 to Leeds for the 10;52 to Hull arriving at11;58. So approx. 1:53 late.

This is a valid repay claim, I would normally claim this as a free pass. But could I claim this in RTVs, the return fare with a railcard is £56.85.

Any comments or thoughts on this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
This is a valid repay claim, I would normally claim this as a free pass. But could I claim this in RTVs, the return fare with a railcard is £56.85.
No. The only compensation available is another free travel pass.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is a what if question (so it my be in the wrong section if so please move it to the correct section). If I was traveling from BIF to Hull on a complimentary travel pass the first train that I would get is the 05;49 from BIF to Carnforth (CNF) then the 06;57 CNF to Leeds on to the 08;55 to Hull arrive 10;05.

But if I get off at CNF for the 06;57 only to find out that it's been cancelled. So my next option is the 07;39 CNF to Preston (PRE) for the 08;44 to Leeds for the 10;52 to Hull arriving at11;58. So approx. 1:53 late.

Any comments or thoughts on this.
Delay compensation is always based on the fare actually paid (not other fares you could have paid).

If you choose the cash option you would, as normal, receive 100% of your fare back (assuming it's a single complimentary ticket). Of course, 100% of £0 ... is £0.

In other words, the only compensation available to you is another free ticket.

island

Veteran Member
I assumed Barrow-in-Furness. Not necessarily a railway abbreviation.
BIF is indeed the correct abbreviation here.

As to the original question, you can claim based on what you actually paid and not on what you might theoretically have paid in Other circumstances.

Blinkbonny

Yes, as I remember when Northern did their special Ten Pence fares and I was delayed half an hour. I was faced with either a five pence refund or else a free journey to anywhere on their network. Hmmm... Tricky one !

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I was severely delayed a couple of years or so ago, on a Northern journey between Hellifield and Carlisle, after a late running steam train broke down ahead of us. Was using a Northern complimentary ticket and so got sent another one as 'Delay Repay' compensation, which was fair enough, all things considered.

HSP 2

I'm getting the answers that I thought I would in that you could only get another delay repay pass back.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm getting the answers that I thought I would, in that you could only get another delay repay pass back.
Reckon that will almost certainly be the case. Whether you wish to claim another complimentary Northern voucher is entirely up to you, but if it is issued as a return rather than a single journey, I reckon that it would be of some future use.

scrapy

Established Member
Reckon that will almost certainly be the case. Whether you wish to claim another complimentary Northern voucher is entirely up to you, but if it is issued as a return rather than a single journey, I reckon that it would be of some future use.
A delay of 60 to 119 minutes entitles you to 1 free return ticket (OPs delay was 113 minutes) so if a single ticket is issued by mistake it should be appealed.

Blinkbonny

My 10p ticket was from Hull to Scarborough. They cancelled my train, and I had to catch the next one an hour later.

Common sense would tell you that therefore I was delayed by an hour. They told me it was only 59 minutes and so I only got a single ticket as compensation. Now obviously that is brilliant for a 10p fare, and I wasn't disposed to argue the point - but I do find that with singles more or less being the same price as a day return then my use for a single journey is a bit limited, as I'll rarely want to go somewhere but not come back!

Then the Epidemic intervened and I've done nothing with my ticket since. No doubt there is some creative way I'll be able to make use of it. They don't seem to have an expiry date on them.

SteveM70

Established Member
My 10p ticket was from Hull to Scarborough. They cancelled my train, and I had to catch the next one an hour later.

Common sense would tell you that therefore I was delayed by an hour. They told me it was only 59 minutes and so I only got a single ticket as compensation. Now obviously that is brilliant for a 10p fare, and I wasn't disposed to argue the point - but I do find that with singles more or less being the same price as a day return then my use for a single journey is a bit limited, as I'll rarely want to go somewhere but not come back!

Then the Epidemic intervened and I've done nothing with my ticket since. No doubt there is some creative way I'll be able to make use of it. They don't seem to have an expiry date on them.

Or just hang on to it. There’ll be another 30-59 minute delay along soon enough

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I do find that with singles more or less being the same price as a day return then my use for a single journey is a bit limited, as I'll rarely want to go somewhere but not come back!
Could be used for a circular round trip where Northern only operate one route. You'd obviously need to purchase another TOC's ticket, possibly a cut price advance, to bridge the gap.

Couple of examples...

Lancaster to Carlisle (out via Penrith on TPE or Avanti, return with Northern via Cumbrian Coast, or maybe via Appleby/Wennington).

York to Scarborough (out via Malton with TPE, return with Northern via Beverley/Hull).

Must be other creative itineraries out there that are possible.

alistairlees

Established Member
Could be used for a circular round trip where Northern only operate one route. You'd obviously need to purchase another TOC's ticket, possibly a cut price advance, to bridge the gap.

Couple of examples...

Lancaster to Carlisle (out via Penrith on TPE or Avanti, return with Northern via Cumbrian Coast, or maybe via Appleby/Wennington).

York to Scarborough (out via Malton with TPE, return with Northern via Beverley/Hull).

Must be other creative itineraries out there that are possible.
Scarborough to Whitby?

HSP 2

How about Hull to Darlington, a nice run out over the S & C onto Newcastle around the Northumberland coast to Darlington, just got to get a piece onto York. If you wanted to push it a bit you could make it out from York

Blinkbonny

Oh wow, that's a great idea! 8-)

Thanks for the Carlisle suggestions, I was thinking along those lines. Though Steve probably has the best solution! :D

Thinking more generally, I did wonder if I was pushing it a bit claiming on a 10p ticket - and indeed if that's why they knocked me back. But considering I had paid my own way from Coventry to Hull in the first place, stayed the night in a hotel and got up nice and early for my trip to the seaside, I was quite inconvenienced.

And as usually is the case with these delays for me, I'm not so bothered about arriving in Scarborough an hour late, it's more the hour I have to spend waiting before setting out. There's not a lot to do for an hour around Paragon Interchange. And not a lot of time to go anywhere else. Not a great start to a day out.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Think even on a Northern complimentary, that might be deemed to be a circuitous route. ;)
What other route could you take to use solely Northern services? There isn't really any choice. It's valid between any two Northern served stations.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What other route could you take to use solely Northern services? There isn't really any choice. It's valid between any two Northern served stations.
Good point, well made, although I think I'd probably still take the X93/X94 bus. 8-)

Dave91131

Not wanting to drift off topic, but on a Saturday one could do Scunthorpe to Cleethorpes via Sheffield and Brigg with one of Northern's complimentary passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.