• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay train journey results in missed coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
One of my friends came down from Nottingham to visit this weekend. He boarded the 21:45 from Faversham to London Victoria. Unfortunately there was a delay at Rochester. Eventually train was diverted via Dartford after 30 minutes. This route is of course much slower and the train will arrive significantly delayed.

Initially the announcement said they were stopping at Denmark Hill only but then also a Lewisham stop was added. The original arrival time was 23:19. The new expected arrival time is 00:02.

My friends coach is due to leave Victoria coach station at midnight. What are his options please? Ideally being stranded alone in London overnight is not ideal. Could or should the railway help to get him home having caused the delay? What are his options please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Realtime Trains is currently showing a delayed arrival at Victoria at 2350 on Platform 8. If this information is correct, is transfer from the railway station to the coach station in under ten minutes still possible?

_toommm_

Established Member
As the railways and the coach don't connect, unfortunately there's no obligation for the railway to help out your friend (which I know is of course a really bad position for your friend to be in). It may be possible for your friend to change the time of their coach ticket though to a later one.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This is always a tricky area - there was another thread in the Fares forum (which I can't find I think it was LNER?) for a very similar issue whereby the individual missed the last bus of the day because the train was late.

Strictly, the railway has done its job and the train ran to the destination and the individual got to the destination (albeit significantly late). However the railway after that point had no obligation with regards to getting the individual on their coach.

I have personally dealt with similar situations although normally its just internal London travel long after the last tubes which required authorisation of taxis. For such long distance travel I am genuinely not sure but would seek out a member of Southeastern staff at Victoria as a matter of priority and ask them to call their Control regarding options as they might be able to authorise something - I presume they are heading back to Nottingham.

Ultimately it is good customer service to assist the passenger in whatever way they can even if the contract is effectively "complete" - it's generally good to look out for passengers when things go wrong of course, but the station staff couldn't authorise such an expense.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Realtime Trains is currently showing a delayed arrival at Victoria at 2350 on Platform 8. If this information is correct, is transfer from the railway station to the coach station in under ten minutes still possible?

That would be somewhat heroic. The train is behind a stopping service to London Cannon Street which isn't due to leave Lewisham until 2348.

_toommm_

Established Member

The train is diverting due to the emergency services dealing with an incident (presumably a one-under). It's left Dartford at 23:21 as an additional call and is currently expected in at 00:01. If the OP's friend is that way inclined, they can follow it on Traksy, it's just about to pass through Eltham.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
The coach also stops at Golders Green. Would taking the Northern line there in 25 minutes be difficult?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I don't like to "passenger blame" but 40 minutes with no contingency is also very tight. Is this the last coach of the day to the OP's friend's destination?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Which bus/coach is/was the OP's friend hoping to catch? Nottingham maybe? When's the next one?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The coach also stops at Golders Green. Would taking the Northern line there in 25 minutes be difficult?

From Victoria? Doesn't look like the Victoria line is running currently, so I would say yes, if not impossible.

Which bus/coach is/was the OP's friend hoping to catch? Nottingham maybe? When's the next one?

Looks like this one: https://coachtracker.nationalexpress.com/view/900057366_SS/900029044/route/465/O/AA/12-12-2021

BluePenguin

On Moderation
From Victoria? Doesn't look like the Victoria line is running currently, so I would say yes, if not impossible.
The night tube does not appear to be calling at all no matter what I search lol

I realise I am clutching at straws here but I really would like to help get my friend home. Other than an expensive taxi to Golders Green are there any alternative options anyone has? He is taking National Express to save money but ironically this trip is going to cost him more than the train would have done!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The night tube does not appear to be calling at all no matter what I search lol

I realise I am clutching at straws here but I really would like to help get my friend home. Other than an expensive taxi to Golders Green are there any alternative options anyone has? He is taking National Express to save money but ironically this trip is going to cost him more than the train would have done!

Tube strikes I believe / Sunday night closedown. As I said, seek out a member of staff at Victoria from Southeastern (they have night staff) as a priority and inform them he is currently stranded in London as a result of the delay. Southeastern Control could authorise a taxi in this specific scenario (I think he'd miss Golders Green btw too).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next coach from London Victoria to Nottingham isn't until 0630, I believe, and first train from St. Pancras to Nottingham on a Monday is 0605, so, either way, an awkward six hour wait.

Realtime Trains now showing an updated 0010 arrival into Victoria.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The train is not yet at Denmark Hill. It will probably be another 10 minutes before it reaches London Victoria.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
40 minutes overall connection from arrival by train to departure by coach is too tight.

Delay Repay can be claimed based on 50% of the cost of a single journey (or 25% of a return)

I would recommend re-booking the coach for the first service of the day. If the coach fare is not changeable and time is of the essence then it may be worth booking the train instead.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Thank you for the advice everyone. It looks like a hotel is the only option

It makes me wonder what happens if a child or elderly person was stranded in my friends position? Are staff allowed to use their discretion and authorise taxis and hotels off their own back?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

It makes me wonder what happens if a child or elderly person was stranded in my friends position? Are staff allowed to use their discretion and authorise taxis and hotels off their own back?
From London Victoria to Nottingham?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Are they going to try asking Southeastern staff like I've suggested 3 times?

In answer, yes & no - someone at the relevant level could authorise this (normally a manager in a control room).

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Are they even going to try asking Southeastern staff like I've suggested 3 times?

In answer, yes & no - someone at the relevant level could authorise this (normally a manager in a control room).
Yes, I have passed those comments on. He is speaking to staff now. If they say no, will it be a case of they cannot help but do not want to help?

I am also asking out of personal interest whether staff can use their discretion. Policy is one thing, but we are all human beings at the end of the day.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes, I have passed those comments on.

I am asking out of personal interest whether staff can use their discretion. Policy is one thing, but we are all human beings at the end of the day.

Yes they can, but it would be quite the expensive so it would be delegated to an individual of a certain level - which may not be physically at the station but with whom the staff could contact.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, or hypothetically to anywhere
The trouble is hypothetically yes. But if it is done for a journey from London Victoria to Nottingham and the bill is going to be more than £200 there's no way questions aren't going to be asked about the reasonableness of such expense.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
The trouble is hypothetically yes. But if it is done for a journey from London Victoria to Nottingham and the bill is going to be more than £200 there's no way questions aren't going to be asked about the reasonableness of such expense.
I am sure plenty of people will not be claiming delay repay for tonight‘s delay. Also as a company which has been hiding over 20 million from the taxpayer, I am sure paying a few hundred for taxi is coppers to them

Back on topic, my friend is speaking to staff. I am waiting to hear back from them

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Make no mistake: it's taxpayers money you are proposing to be spent on this and as a taxpayer I'd object to the rail industry paying for a taxi for this.

The coach company would not do so if the situation was reversed.

BrianW

Established Member
Blue Penguin- I admire your tenacity; your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.
Perhaps after 'sleeping on it', you and your friend will see that you had cut it too fine and should have aimed for an earlier train, esp as so much was 'at stake'.
I hope your friend finds a safe way to spend the night.
However sympathetic one may be (and in my case, is) to your friend's plight, I think you will find few who are sympathetic to 'the railway' stumping up beyond a 'normal' delay-replay, if it applies.
You tried.

Looks like best/ cheapest is now: 06.30 coach Vic Coach Stn £10.90 arr Nottm 10.10

Last edited:

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Blue Penguin- I admire your tenacity; your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.
Perhaps after 'sleeping on it', you and your friend will see that you had cut it too fine and should have aimed for an earlier train, esp as so much was 'at stake'.
I hope your friend finds a safe way to spend the night.
However sympathetic one may be (and in my case, is) to your friend's plight, I think you will find few who are sympathetic to 'the railway' stumping up beyond a 'normal' delay-replay, if it applies.
You tried.
Thank you very much for your kind words. My friends are very important to me and I’ll do everything I can to help them. Taking a midnight coach is certainly not something I would do. Although some of us cannot afford trains due to financial issues. My friend was certainly very naive there is no doubt about that, although we have to deal with the cards we have been dealt.

The good news is friend is now on the way back to Nottingham as we speak, I tried and succeeded. Every once in awhile the stars align. Today was one of those days. I can now sleep easy knowing they will get home safely in the small hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.