• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deltics in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Did Deltics have any diagrammed work between Edinburgh Waverley/Glasgow Queen Street & Inverness?

Also, did any work service trains between Aberdeen & Inverness?

During the Penmanshiel Tunnel collapse, did any Deltics get diverted via the G&SW and through the Glasgow Suburbs to Edinburgh Waverley?

I look forward to your replies

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Deltics to my knowledge never had diagrams to Inverness from any direction. It was all pairs of 26s, later replaced by duffs in the early 80s. Initially steam heat duffs, then 47/4s as more were converted.

Deltics were pretty much ECML only locos, and the operation of the London > Inverness train as part of the ECML (Highland Chieftain) is a fairly recent innovation. Up until the mid-80s the only Inverness > London day train was The Clansman, duff hauled to Mossend Yard, with an electric taking over from there to Euston.

I'm not sure about the use of the G&SW during the Penmanshiel diversions. I've never heard of that route being used, and I have always assumed everything went via the WCML. There'd be no problems with capacity, and if the G&SW was ever used, it would have been only if the WCML itself was shut for engineering and everything was going that way. The route from Crossmyloof to Polmadie across the throat at Glasgow Central is a right pain as it has to cross several busy flows, causing maximum disruption.

oldrailman

I have just picked up a secondhand book titled 'Deltics-a Symposium', which contains photos of Deltics at the following Scottish locations.

Glasgow Queen Street - May 26 1962. 9010 Kings Own Scottish Borderer leaving with the up Queen of Scots Pullman.

Aviemore - April 15 1969. 9019 Royal Highland Fusilier piloting Class 26 5338 to Inverness with the morning mail from Perth.

Dumfries - May 8 1965. 9010 KOSB leaving with a troop train to Inverness after her naming ceremony.

If that has whetted your appetite, I believe other copies of the book can be found at UK booksellers via www.alibris.co.uk. I got mine a week ago for £8 inc p&p.

flymo

Established Member
re the Pennmanshiel situation, during the diversions the route I recall trains using from Newcastle was via the Carlisle line which at that time still ran north of the Tyne via Elswick & Scotswood and then crossed it via the now disused Scotswood rail bridge, and onto the current alignment towards Blaydon and on to Carlisle. From there it was up the WCML to Carstairs and then to Haymarket and Edinburgh.

There was a special timetable in operation during the diversion period with a lot of services terminating at Newcastle with some carrying on to Berwick. I seem to remember something like one train every 2 hours or something (might have been every 3 or 4 hours) carrying on from Newcastle to Edinburgh via Carlisle. I had that timetable at the time in 1979, just wish I still had it now. Darn. I do remember some Deltics at Berwick during the diversion period but whether they ran to Edinburgh via Carlisle is beyond my memory. Something tells me they were mainly HST's on the diversions but happy to be shown otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.