• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby-Glasgow with Northern free return voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
I’d like to have a few days in Glasgow again this summer (travelling from Derby).

I’d like to do it the scenic way this time as there are a few lines in northern England I’ve not travelled, so the thinking is:

1. Derby-Nottingham (any operator) - or maybe Derby-Chesterfield (NOT is cheaper but more time consuming)
2. Nottingham-Carlisle via Leeds (all Northern) - maybe start from Chesterfield - for the Settle-Carlisle line
3. Carlisle-Glasgow (any operator)

4. Glasgow-Carlisle (any operator)
5. Carlisle-Barrow-in-Furness-Manchester Piccadilly-Sheffield-Nottingham (all Northern) - or maybe just to Chesterfield - for the Cumbria coast line
6. Nottingham-Derby (any operator) - or maybe Chesterfield-Derby

So the qesutions are:

* I have one of those free Northern travel vouchers, valid for a return. It was sent to me before the Corona madness. I presume it is still valid?
* Will that voucher be good for a NOT-CAR return, NOT-LDS-CAR north and CAR-BIF-MAN-SHF-NOT south?
* I will buy DBY-NOT / CHD and CAR-GLC returns, with Northern covering the rest. Anyone see any issues with the plan?

Thanks for your guidance…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
I’d like to have a few days in Glasgow again this summer (travelling from Derby).

I’d like to do it the scenic way this time as there are a few lines in northern England I’ve not travelled, so the thinking is:

1. Derby-Nottingham (any operator) - or maybe Derby-Chesterfield (NOT is cheaper but more time consuming)
2. Nottingham-Carlisle via Leeds (all Northern) - maybe start from Chesterfield - for the Settle-Carlisle line
3. Carlisle-Glasgow (any operator)

4. Glasgow-Carlisle (any operator)
5. Carlisle-Barrow-in-Furness-Manchester Piccadilly-Sheffield-Nottingham (all Northern) - or maybe just to Chesterfield - for the Cumbria coast line
6. Nottingham-Derby (any operator) - or maybe Chesterfield-Derby

So the qesutions are:

* I have one of those free Northern travel vouchers, valid for a return. It was sent to me before the Corona madness. I presume it is still valid?
* Will that voucher be good for a NOT-CAR return, NOT-LDS-CAR north and CAR-BIF-MAN-SHF-NOT south?
* I will buy DBY-NOT / CHD and CAR-GLC returns, with Northern covering the rest. Anyone see any issues with the plan?

Thanks for your guidance…

Sounds fine to me!

Yes the free tickets are still valid. In fact I got two more free tickets after a two hour delay whilst using a free ticket a month ago!

HSP 2

As mentioned above you should have no problems with the Northern parts of your trip. You could also fill in the ticket to start at Nottingham and start at Chesterfield and on your return go to Nottingham. But you will have to fill in the return date before you set off.

It also looks like Derby has a limited Northern service could that help you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skymonster

Established Member
As mentioned above you should have no problems with the Northern parts of your trip. You could also fill in the ticket to start at Nottingham and start at Chesterfield and on your return go to Nottingham. But you will have to fill in the return date before you set off.

It also looks like Derby has a limited Northern service could that help you?
Thanks for the tips @HSP 2. Northern has one service a day through Derby each way - it’s about the last Nottingham-Leeds return that goes via Derby for route retention. I’ll probably fill out the free ticket for Nottingham-Carlisle, board Chesterfield northbound, and catch the one Derby train when coming back and get off short (presume that’s OK on a free ticket even though there’s no chance of me completing the trip to Nottingham because there’s only one train and the ticket isn’t valid BOJ over multiple days).

HSP 2

You could fill out your ticket from Derby to Carlisle and get a piece to Chesterfield, on your way home it looks like you have got two moves that you can do.
Sheffield dep. 2004 to Nottingham arrive 2059 (1Y31), then Nottingham dep. 2215 to Derby arrive 2237 (1Y36), this has quite a long wait or.
Sheffield dep. 2100 to Derby arrive 2141 (1Y99).

None of the above have a BoJ on your way home.

Hope this helps you a bit.

robbeech

Established Member
I’ve never known a Northern guard question what you do on one of those tickets providing you’re roughly in the right place. Derby to Carlisle should get you everything you need with a Carlisle Glasgow return to do the last leg. And a derby Nottingham / Chesterfield if timing doesn’t fit to use the Northern service from derby.

zero

I used a ticket over multiple days because of a delay... Though that was always the plan, I was going to stay overnight and buy a ticket the next day, however I arrived at the break point 4 hours later than I was meant to. As the guard let me travel free I decided not to claim another free ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.