• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Guard Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sleepy

Established Member
GA Norwich guards - the 2 links that sign Norwich - Cambridge also sign Cambridge - Stansted Airport (but class 755 can run DOO here under certain conditions) however Norwich drivers only work to Cambridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Northernboy67

I was wondering, if there was still a Conductor's Depot at Sheffield for Northern Rail? I applied to Northern Rail 3 years ago, as I am a Southeastern Conductor. Got rejected, but Sheffield was my preferred choice.

_toommm_

Established Member
I was wondering, if there was still a Conductor's Depot at Sheffield for Northern Rail? I applied to Northern Rail 3 years ago, as I am a Southeastern Conductor. Got rejected, but Sheffield was my preferred choice.

Yeah there is. Otherwise there’d be a lot of very very early morning and late night taxis back to other depots, amongst other reasons. It’s one of the bigger ones IIRC, I populated most of the routes on there myself IIRC.

EDIT: Just realised I did the routes for Sheffield drivers depot, but I haven’t for my own guards thread. I’d imagine it’s broadly the same but I’ll await confirmation.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you. I had wondered as I know of someone who is a driver at Sheffield Depot for Northern.
There are guards based at most of the same locations as drivers - obviously apart from operators which have DOO services.

The only exceptions which I can think of, off the top of my head, are Darlington & Middlesbrough (the former being a driver-only depot and the latter a conductor-only depot), Polmadie/Shields/Corkerhill & Glasgow (Avanti & Scotrail having driver-only depots based at the respective rolling stock depots, Northam (similarly for SWR) and Manchester Airport (conductor-only depot).

craigybagel

Established Member
There are guards based at most of the same locations as drivers - obviously apart from operators which have DOO services.

The only exceptions which I can think of, off the top of my head, are Darlington & Middlesbrough (the former being a driver-only depot and the latter a conductor-only depot), Polmadie/Shields/Corkerhill & Glasgow (Avanti & Scotrail having driver-only depots based at the respective rolling stock depots, Northam (similarly for SWR) and Manchester Airport (conductor-only depot).
Aberdeen LNER is guards only. Avanti at Holyhead was guards only until a few months ago when a driver's depot opened - and I believe their new Crewe depot is expected to be drivers only, at least at first.

One of the other examples is, ironically enough given the post that started this tangent, Sheffield EMR - guards only.

I agree though, in general they are few and far between. And the split between Middlesbrough and Darlington has always baffled me - surely it's not terribly efficient?!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Aberdeen LNER is guards only. Avanti at Holyhead was guards only until a few months ago when a driver's depot opened - and I believe their new Crewe depot is expected to be drivers only, at least at first.

One of the other examples is, ironically enough given the post that started this tangent, Sheffield EMR - guards only.

I agree though, in general they are few and far between. And the split between Middlesbrough and Darlington has always baffled me - surely it's not terribly efficient?!
Never realised LNER had an Aberdeen guards depot. That really is an outlier given the rather complex and (likely) costly arrangements for lodging Newcastle drivers!

I suppose having drivers based where the rolling stock stables, and conductors at the 'end of the line' does end up being most efficient a lot of the time. But as you say, having separate guard and driver depots at Darlington and Middlesbrough results in an awful lot of empty running between the two.

MDB97

Carlisle - Northern Guards

Carlisle - Newcastle
Carlisle - Dumfries
Carlisle - Leeds
Newcastle - Morpeth

Traction

_toommm_

Established Member
Little bit of a bump to this thread - I know it's pinned to the top but I'm hoping a new post might highlight it to some people in the know.

Similar to @craigybagel I've removed reference to 153s for Northern and GWR, and added the 153 to Scotrail's Oban depot. I'm not sure if anyone at Glasgow signs it, nor do I think anyone at Fort William or Mallaig sign them yet. Íf anyone can help out, whether it be any corrections for out-of-date info, or ideally any new info, it would be much appreciated! If you don't want to share publicly as it might reveal your employer, feel free to PM me!

Undiscovered

You can remove this bit from WMR Shrewsbury:
.(Don't sign Perry Barr South to PBWest or Soho North to Soho E).

They now sign that section, so it's all routes Wolves to Birmingham and vice versa.

RuralSquad93

EMR Kettering TM's

St Pancras - Sheffield
St Pancras - Nottingham
St Pancras - Corby
Corby - Syston/Sileby Via Oakham (Manton Diversion)
No other diversions signed
They also will soon be officially signing for Kettering Depot Sidings for one late night move on a Saturday* as guards arent allowed in there officially

360 & 222 as traction (Couple of internal transfers have 180's but no booked work & no one else being trained for now)

*Subject to change

Pretty certain St Pancras is the same minus Kettering Sidings.

Derby, Nottingham & Sheffield get extra routes and diversions I believe (& 180's)

L401CJF

Established Member
Transport for Wales Chester guards also sign diversionary routes Wolverhampton-New Street via Bescot/Soho and Bescot/Aston.

saintsfan

Little bit of a bump to this thread - I know it's pinned to the top but I'm hoping a new post might highlight it to some people in the know.

Similar to @craigybagel I've removed reference to 153s for Northern and GWR, and added the 153 to Scotrail's Oban depot. I'm not sure if anyone at Glasgow signs it, nor do I think anyone at Fort William or Mallaig sign them yet. Íf anyone can help out, whether it be any corrections for out-of-date info, or ideally any new info, it would be much appreciated! If you don't want to share publicly as it might reveal your employer, feel free to PM me!
Salisbury SWR can have Salisbury to Bristol TM removed.

Yeovil SWR can have Salisbury to Bristol and Yeovil to Weymouth removed.

Both depots still sign Salisbury to Westbury to form the diversionary route to Yeovil via Castle Cary.

2L70

On Moderation
To do with Ticketing, at Privatisation Middlesborough Station was operated by the Regional Railways TOC and Darlington the Intercity TOC, it was decided to have a Conductors depot there to save money. Ironically now Transpennine Express run the station so Northern will be paying TPE to maintain and provide Ticketing equipment.

craigybagel

Established Member
Transport for Wales Chester guards also sign diversionary routes Wolverhampton-New Street via Bescot/Soho and Bescot/Aston.
They definitely don't sign Bescot via Soho, everyone at TfW lost that a few years ago. I'm not sure if they have been allowed to keep Bescot via Aston - the drivers at Chester have lost that and the only booked work round Bescot now is for Shrewsbury drivers and guards.

Speaking of TfW guards, both Chester and Crewe guards will be losing Crewe - Wolverhampton via Stafford from the May timetable change.

To do with Ticketing, at Privatisation Middlesborough Station was operated by the Regional Railways TOC and Darlington the Intercity TOC, it was decided to have a Conductors depot there to save money. Ironically now Transpennine Express run the station so Northern will be paying TPE to maintain and provide Ticketing equipment.
Thanks for that, it's bugged me for years :lol: fascinating how these things pan out.

Scotrail84

Established Member

Pretty sure QST men will have to sign them.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
An update for EMR.

Lincoln Senior Conductors no longer have Nottingham to Skegness route knowledge except perhaps one or two, or Nottingham to Worksop, new entrants aren't being trained on Worksop and current conductors will lose all work up there from May, so in the fullness of time it will lapse from their route card.

Norwich Senior Conductors no longer have any work Nottingham to Worksop, and I believe no new starters are being trained on the route either.

Nottingham Senior Conductors, 12 are being trained on 180s for Derby to Skegness work.

Nottingham, Lincoln and Boston also sign to Newark North Gate.

L401CJF

Established Member
They definitely don't sign Bescot via Soho, everyone at TfW lost that a few years ago. I'm not sure if they have been allowed to keep Bescot via Aston - the drivers at Chester have lost that and the only booked work round Bescot now is for Shrewsbury drivers and guards.

Speaking of TfW guards, both Chester and Crewe guards will be losing Crewe - Wolverhampton via Stafford from the May timetable change.

Thanks for that, it's bugged me for years :lol: fascinating how these things pan out.
Very interesting because I have just had to route learn it! We were told it can branch off at Perry Bar/Soho Junctions depending on direction, definitely listed on our maps and have had to sign it off.

Hamstead Tunnel was part of the assessment too.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Very interesting because I have just had to route learn it! We were told it can branch off at Perry Bar/Soho Junctions depending on direction, definitely listed on our maps and have had to sign it off.

Ah fair enough, didn't realise you were in the role yourself. No harm in learning Perry Bar - Soho, it's not exactly a long and taxing route, but you're not likely to see a TfW service down there. It was deemed to difficult to keep drivers competent on both Bescot routes, so it was taken off about 4 years ago now IIRC. Even with Aston, there aren't many drivers left who can go that way.

_toommm_

Established Member
EMR Kettering TM's

St Pancras - Sheffield
St Pancras - Nottingham
St Pancras - Corby
Corby - Syston/Sileby Via Oakham (Manton Diversion)
No other diversions signed
They also will soon be officially signing for Kettering Depot Sidings for one late night move on a Saturday* as guards arent allowed in there officially

360 & 222 as traction (Couple of internal transfers have 180's but no booked work & no one else being trained for now)

*Subject to change

Pretty certain St Pancras is the same minus Kettering Sidings.

Derby, Nottingham & Sheffield get extra routes and diversions I believe (& 180's)

I messed that up! They do sign Soho to Aston. Probably easier to put Wolves to Birmingham all routes and diversions, and vice versa.
Been a long day!

Salisbury SWR can have Salisbury to Bristol TM removed.

Yeovil SWR can have Salisbury to Bristol and Yeovil to Weymouth removed.

Both depots still sign Salisbury to Westbury to form the diversionary route to Yeovil via Castle Cary.

Pretty sure QST men will have to sign them.

An update for EMR.

Lincoln Senior Conductors no longer have Nottingham to Skegness route knowledge except perhaps one or two, or Nottingham to Worksop, new entrants aren't being trained on Worksop and current conductors will lose all work up there from May, so in the fullness of time it will lapse from their route card.

Norwich Senior Conductors no longer have any work Nottingham to Worksop, and I believe no new starters are being trained on the route either.

Nottingham Senior Conductors, 12 are being trained on 180s for Derby to Skegness work.

Nottingham, Lincoln and Boston also sign to Newark North Gate.

Ah fair enough, didn't realise you were in the role yourself. No harm in learning Perry Bar - Soho, it's not exactly a long and taxing route, but you're not likely to see a TfW service down there. It was deemed to difficult to keep drivers competent on both Bescot routes, so it was taken off about 4 years ago now IIRC. Even with Aston, there aren't many drivers left who can go that way.

Thank you to you all, updated :)

jymiee

Up to date list for LNER Edinburgh:

Traction: 800/801

Routes:
- Edinburgh to York (including via the High Level Bridge at Newcastle)
- Edinburgh to Aberdeen (including the Fife Circle via Dunfermline)
- Edinburgh to Perth via Stirling (Lodge link guards sign Perth to Inverness)
- Edinburgh to Glasgow Central via Carstairs and Motherwell (NOT the route via Holytown)
- Edinburgh to Carlisle via Carstairs
- Carlisle to Newcastle via Hexham
- The Edinburgh Suburban Line (Portobello Jn to Slateford Jn, NOT to Haymarket W Jn)

_toommm_

Established Member
Up to date list for LNER Edinburgh:

Traction: 800/801

Routes:
- Edinburgh to York (including via the High Level Bridge at Newcastle)
- Edinburgh to Aberdeen (including the Fife Circle via Dunfermline)
- Edinburgh to Perth via Stirling (Lodge link guards sign Perth to Inverness)
- Edinburgh to Glasgow Central via Carstairs and Motherwell (NOT the route via Holytown)
- Edinburgh to Carlisle via Carstairs
- Carlisle to Newcastle via Hexham
- The Edinburgh Suburban Line (Portobello Jn to Slateford Jn, NOT to Haymarket W Jn)

Ta!

45Fox

Leicester CrossCountry drivers also sign New Street-Tyseley depot and Sheet Stores Jn-Stenson Jn (Castle Donington line).

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Got some extra WMT information (friend of a friend is a guard there):

Northampton
Traction: 350

Northampton - London Euston
Northampton - Birmingham New Street
Rugby - Milton Keynes Central (avoiding Northampton)
Rugby - Crewe

Watford Junction
Traction: 350

Northampton - London Euston
Watford Junction - St Albans Abbey