• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Guard Depot, Route and Traction cards

AMD

Northern:
Liverpool Lime Street

Traction: 150/1, 150/2, 156, 195, 319, 323, 331

Routes:

Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central
Liverpool to Manchester via Earlestown (Oxford Road & Victoria)
Liverpool to Wigan, Preston, Blackpool North via St Helens Central and Golborne
Manchester to Manchester Airport
Earlestown to Chester via Warrington BQ
Helsby to Ellesmere Port
Liverpool South Parkway to Helsby via Runcorn

The last two may be link dependent, however which of the eight links sign them I don't know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWTurbo

The ones that I know need a tweak:

SWR

Waterloo to Exeter St Davids via Andover + Woking
(Route doesn’t touch SC, as the routes diverge at Salisbury

Romsey to Eastleigh is the Romsey Loop (Salisbury/Romsey/Salisbury) via Southampton Central, Chandlers Ford and Eastleigh

Salisbury to Bristol TM
Westbury to Yeovil Junction Via Salisbury (doesn’t touch castle Cary as that is GWR territory) Essentially the portion after Yeovil is identical to the st David’s stuff
Some links I believe sign 444/450 for working from Basingstoke + Bournemouth, however would be good to get some backup on that fact, rest is correct afaik!

vikingdriver

SWR

Romsey to Eastleigh is the Romsey Loop (Salisbury/Romsey/Salisbury) via Southampton Central, Chandlers Ford and Eastleigh

Salisbury to Bristol TM
Westbury to Yeovil Junction Via Salisbury (doesn’t touch castle Cary as that is GWR territory) Essentially the portion after Yeovil is identical to the st David’s stuff
Some links I believe sign 444/450 for working from Basingstoke + Bournemouth, however would be good to get some backup on that fact, rest is correct afaik!

The existing information is spot on and correct so doesn't need tweaking.

SAL18

SWR

Salisbury to Bristol TM
This is wrong.... I’m a Salisbury guard and I can confirm that...

We sign via Castle Cary and Frome from Westbury to Yeovil JN and Pen Mill,

We sign Eastleigh- Basingstoke via Winchester as a diversion route

Only drivers sign 444/450 and that’ only one link or 12/13 drivers. Guard do NOT touch electric rubbish. Diesel only!

SWTurbo

This is wrong.... I’m a Salisbury guard and I can confirm that...

We sign via Castle Cary and Frome from Westbury to Yeovil JN and Pen Mill,

We sign Eastleigh- Basingstoke via Winchester as a diversion route

Only drivers sign 444/450 and that’ only one link or 12/13 drivers. Guard do NOT touch electric rubbish. Diesel only!
my apologies, I stand firmly corrected!

Edit: out of curiosity, why do you sign via Castle Cary? I was told (admittedly a while back) that you didn't???

vikingdriver

Edit: out of curiosity, why do you sign via Castle Cary? I was told (admittedly a while back) that you didn't???
It's a diversionary route from Yeovil Jct if the line between Yeovil Jct and Wilton Jct is closed. Have signed it for at least the last 11 years I've been on the job and I suspect the traincrew have always signed it! Used to run two empty stock route refreshing trains Monday to Friday but they were replaced with trains in service maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

SAL18

No worries at all! Us Salisbury men are very protective of our routes .

As Vikingdriver said we sign it as a diversion route when the line between Wilton and Yeovil is closed either due to problems or engineering work. I’ve worked round there a few times with a 6 car running fast changing ends at Westbury. We also sign the Frome Avoider so we don’t have to go to Frome when diverting... if the Westbury Bobby remembers!
Pre covid we had a few turns round that way stopping at all stations to Yeovil Pen Mill, so Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome, Westbury, Warminster, Salisbury. But now we have 1/2 trains a day that go round there for route retention purposes, albeit in service. I’m one of the few guards at Salisbury which still signs Weymouth as well via Castle Cary and Yeovil Pen Mill!

it’s a very scenic route and I like working round there. Used to love doing the pointless but fun shuttles between Yeovil JN - Yeovil Pen Mill, you’d do 3-4 in one hit and then run back to Salisbury! Proper branch work that was!

It's a diversionary route from Yeovil Jct if the line between Yeovil Jct and Wilton Jct is closed. Have signed it for at least the last 11 years I've been on the job and I suspect the traincrew have always signed it! Used to run two empty stock route refreshing trains Monday to Friday but they were replaced with trains in service maybe 4 or 5 years ago.
Westbury man I take it? Or does the guess which Salisbury/Yeovil person this is begin

vikingdriver

No worries at all! Us Salisbury men are very protective of our routes .

As Vikingdriver said we sign it as a diversion route when the line between Wilton and Yeovil is closed either due to problems or engineering work. I’ve worked round there a few times with a 6 car running fast changing ends at Westbury. We also sign the Frome Avoider so we don’t have to go to Frome when diverting... if the Westbury Bobby remembers!
Pre covid we had a few turns round that way stopping at all stations to Yeovil Pen Mill, so Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome, Westbury, Warminster, Salisbury. But now we have 1/2 trains a day that go round there for route retention purposes, albeit in service. I’m one of the few guards at Salisbury which still signs Weymouth as well via Castle Cary and Yeovil Pen Mill!

it’s a very scenic route and I like working round there. Used to love doing the pointless but fun shuttles between Yeovil JN - Yeovil Pen Mill, you’d do 3-4 in one hit and then run back to Salisbury! Proper branch work that was!

Westbury man I take it? Or does the guess which Salisbury/Yeovil person this is begin
Quite the mystery!

Undiscovered

Hi, what exactly needs correcting please and I can update it?
WMR Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury- Wolverhampton.

Wolverhampton- Birmingham New Street: Stours, BescotSoho, BescotAston but not SohoAston.(Don't sign Perry Barr South to PBWest or Soho North to Soho E).

Birmingham New Street- Walsall: Via Aston and SohoE

LowLevel

Established Member
WMR Shrewsbury.

Wolverhampton- Birmingham New Street: Stours, BescotSoho, BescotAston but not SohoAston.(Don't sign Perry Barr South to PBWest or Soho North to Soho E).

Do they really not sign Soho North Curve anymore? It used to be a standard diversion via Aston when I used the Salop train regularly 10 plus years ago and wasn't a particularly unusual one at that! I mean this was the heady days when Salop guards had not long stopped going to Leicester but still :lol:

We've always taken the approach to route learning at my TOC where by and large if you sign 2 sides of a smallish triangle junction you sign all of it because declaring you don't sign a short section of track with a signal at either end is a bit daft.

_toommm_

Established Member
WMR Shrewsbury.

Cheers, I’ve corrected that.

Undiscovered

Do they really not sign Soho North Curve anymore? It used to be a standard diversion via Aston when I used the Salop train regularly 10 plus years ago and wasn't a particularly unusual one at that! I mean this was the heady days when Salop guards had not long stopped going to Leicester but still :lol:

We've always taken the approach to route learning at my TOC where by and large if you sign 2 sides of a smallish triangle junction you sign all of it because declaring you don't sign a short section of track with a signal at either end is a bit daft.
You would've thought that, but no.
No booked services, so would require a special route learning move over, as you say, 200yards of track and two signal.

craigybagel

Established Member

Bear in mind that until a year or two ago they didn't even sign Wolves to Bescot!

Anyway my apologies for the incomplete submission, I forgot that they retained Bescot - Walsall when they lost the rest of the Rugeley line a couple of years ago. Still a pretty big fall from grace from what was once a decent route card.

LowLevel

Established Member
Bear in mind that until a year or two ago they didn't even sign Wolves to Bescot!

Anyway my apologies for the incomplete submission, I forgot that they retained Bescot - Walsall when they lost the rest of the Rugeley line a couple of years ago. Still a pretty big fall from grace from what was once a decent route card.

I always got the impression in the early LM era they were quite happy having a quiet existence trundling around Staffordshire and Shropshire. They had an ATE for much of the day back then and I think were largely left alone.

craigybagel

Established Member
I always got the impression in the early LM era they were quite happy having a quiet existence trundling around Staffordshire and Shropshire. They had an ATE for much of the day back then and I think were largely left alone.
I have a few friends there and to be fair most of them seem to be pretty happy with their lot. Personally I couldn't think of anything worse for a guard then your only variety being whether you do two trips to Birmingham or three in a day, but each to their own!

I definitely got the impression they were quite happy to lose their Rugeley work though, understandably.....

Undiscovered

I have a few friends there and to be fair most of them seem to be pretty happy with their lot. Personally I couldn't think of anything worse for a guard then your only variety being whether you do two trips to Birmingham or three in a day, but each to their own!

I definitely got the impression they were quite happy to lose their Rugeley work though, understandably.....
I miss the Rugeley, lovely scenery over the Chase.

But yeah, BHM and back is a bit repetitive, I find there's enough variety in the unit length and stopping pattern to keep it reasonably interesting.

Scotrail84

Established Member
ScotRail Edinburgh Guards

Routes

Edinburgh - North Berwick/Dunbar (Berwick Upon Tweed is in the pipeline as well)
Edinburgh - Tweedbank
Edinburgh suburban line (that may have been removed)
Haymarket shed (that may have been removed)

Edinburgh - Dundee via Cupar
Edinburgh - Perth via Ladybank.
Edinburgh - Fife Circle inc Inverkeithing and Thornton triangles (Levenmouth to be added in the coming years)
Dalmeny - Winchburgh jn cord.

Edinburgh - Dunblane
Edinburgh - Queen street via Falkirk High
Edinburgh - Queen street via Cumbernaud and Stepps and Springburn
Edinburgh - Glasgow Central via Shotts (no diversionary routes)
Glasgow Queen street - Dunblane via both Cumbernauld and Greenhill upper jn

All 4 links sign all the above routes

Edinburgh Guards do not sign Dunblane to Perth, Perth to Dundee, or Dundee to Aberdeen, these routes were removed some years ago. A decision not popular at the time as Edinburgh men have always went to Aberdeen (mileage job back in the day) and was handy for diversions.
Edinburgh men also do not sign Edinburgh - Glasgow central via Carstairs and Motherwell.

Traction signed include
Diesel - 158 170 and HST's
Electrics - 380 and 385

Edinburgh Guards no longer sign 156s.
Only links 1 and 2 sign HSTs but I believe that training for all links will happen at some point as ScotRail use HST's, and plan to increase HST use for fife circle services bizarrely enough.

Tintinabukent

Southeastern
Hastings:
375, 377, 465, 466.
Hastings-Ore
Hastings-Charing Cross via Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks and Orpington.
Tonbridge-Redhill via Godstone (working Southern services)
Cannon Street

Diversionary Route knowledge:
Sevenoaks-Chislehurst via Otford and Swanley
Orpington-London Bridge via Bromley South, Beckenham Junction and Catford Bridge.
Redhill-London Bridge via Coulsdon South, East Croydon and Forest Hill including into the Low Level.

Tonbridge:
375, 377, 465, 466
Hastings Line
Tonbridge-Charing Cross via Sevenoaks and Orpington
Cannon Street
Ramsgate via Staplehurst, Ashford International and Dover Priory
Ashford-Canterbury West (not sure if they sign the bit via Sturry anymore)
Ashford International-London Victoria via Maidstone East, Swanley, Bromley South and Herne Hill
Tonbridge-Redhill via Godstone (for working Southern services)
Tonbridge-Maidstone West-Strood

Diversionary Routes:
Sevenoaks-Otford and the Spurs off the Chatham Lines around Chislehurst
Beckenham Junction-London Bridge via Catford Bridge
Redhill-London Bridge via Coulsdon South, East Croydon and Forest Hill (including the Low Level Platforms)
Yes, Tonbridge conductors do sign beyond Canterbury West (through Sturry) to Ramsgate. I.e. Ashford to Ramsgate/Sandwich via Canterbury West.

They also sign to Victoria via Catford as well as via Herne Hill, and from Lewisham to Nunhead for diversionary purposes.

paulwestwood

GWR - EXETER
Conductors
Exeter New Yard & Exmouth Junction
Exeter to Exmouth
Exeter to Paignton and Goodrington Sidings
Exeter to Barnstaple
Exeter to Okehampton
Exeter to Bristol Temple Meads via Weston-Super-Mare & Weston Avoider
Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway
Exeter to Plymouth
Exeter to Penzance
Also now Route Learning Exeter to Pinhoe

Only Links 1 & 2 Sign Bristol to Cardiff and Plymouth to Penzance
Only Link 3 Sign Okehampton
Exeter also has a few remaining Conductors that still sign Taunton to Westbury and Bristol to Westbury also Plymouth to Gunnislake

GWR - EXETER
Train Managers

Exeter New Yard & Exmouth Junction
Exeter to Exmouth
Exeter to Paignton & Goodrington Sidings
Exeter Barnstaple
Exeter to Bristol Temple Meads & Bristol Parkway via Weston-Super-Mare & Weston Avoider
Exeter to Plymouth & Penzance
Exeter to London Paddington via the B&H Line
Exeter to London Paddington via Bristol Parkway & Hullavington
Exeter to London Paddington via Bristol Temple Meads & Box
Exeter to Castle Cary via Exeter Central & Yeovil Junction & Pen Mill
Westbury to Bristol via Bath
Westbury to Swindon via Melksham

Some Train Managers still sign Okehamton,Cardiff Central, Gunnislake

Currently Traction signed is
Class 57 = Train Managers only
IET

Last edited:

bluesfromagun

Since ScotRail Edinburgh is already covered...

Glasgow Queen St:

Queen St - Edinburgh via Falkirk High
Queen St - Edinburgh via Grahamston / Cumbernauld
Queen St - Anniesland
Queen St - Perth
Stirling - Alloa
Larbert Jn - Polmont Jn
Queen St - Oban

Traction is 156, 158, 170, 385, HST.

Stirling:

Stirling - Dunblane
Stirling - Alloa
Larbert Jn - Polmont Jn
Stirling - Queen St
Queen St - Edinburgh via Falkirk High
Queen St - Edinburgh via Cumbernauld
Queen St - Anniesland

I believe they have lost Dunblane to Perth, which they barely ever went over anyway.

Traction is 156, 158, 170, 385. No HSTs.

Perth:

Perth - Inverness
Perth - Aberdeen
Perth - Queen St (via Croy only)
Dundee - Edinburgh
Hilton Jn - Ladybank Jn
Fife circle
Larbert Jn - Edinburgh

Traction is 158, 170, HST. No electrics, E&G lost as a result.

Dundee:

Dundee - Aberdeen
Dundee - Edinburgh
Dundee - Perth
Perth - Ladybank Jn
Fife circle

Traction is 158, 170, HST.

Aberdeen:

Aberdeen - Inverness
Aberdeen - Edinburgh
Dundee - Queen St via Stirling and Croy
Fife circle

Inverness:

Inverness - Aberdeen
Inverness - Perth
Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh
Inverness - Wick

Kyle and Wick both sign one route (to Inverness) and one traction (158).

Oban sign Oban to Queen St, and class 156. Fort William and Mallaig sign as far South as Crianlarich, and class 156.

Glasgow Central:

Central - Edinburgh via Shotts
Central - Edinburgh via Carstairs
Central - Carlisle via Barrhead
Central - East Kilbride

Traction is 156, 158, 380, 385.

Ayr:

Ayr - Stranraer
Ayr - Glasgow Central via Kilmarnock
Ayr - Glasgow Central via Paisley (diversionary)
Kilmarnock - Carlisle
Central - East Kilbride

Traction is 156 only.

Stranraer:

Stranraer - Glasgow Central via Kilmarnock
Central - East Kilbride

Traction is 156 only.

Dumfries:

Carlisle - Glasgow Central via Barrhead
Central - East Kilbride

Traction is 156 only.

FR510

Southeastern Gillingham

Also sign Swanley to Maidstone East

And the one below would not necessarily need a guard as it is all DOO.
Rochester to London Victoria via Gravesend, Dartford, Woolwich Arsenal, Lewisham and Denmark Hill.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Do Northern still have conductors at Buxton, Carlisle or Huddersfield? I think if anyone knows Blackpool North, Barrow-in-Furness, Hull or Skipton those would also be relevant here. Thanks to all for contributions.

I don't think Gatwick Express had any dedicated conductors? But they may have had dedicated onboard supervisors. I don't know if that's what's being included here though.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I would query the fact Salisbury guards sign via Winchester. Lots of candidates for diversion after the tree on the line at Overton on Monday could not run in passenger service due to lack of guards route knowledge.

also at Fratton all guards sign all routes, the only thing that is link dependant was 442 but everyone has expired on them.

FFB6C1

Do Northern still have conductors at Buxton, Carlisle or Huddersfield? I think if anyone knows Blackpool North, Barrow-in-Furness, Hull or Skipton those would also be relevant here. Thanks to all for contributions.

I don't think Gatwick Express had any dedicated conductors? But they may have had dedicated onboard supervisors. I don't know if that's what's being included here though.

Northern have conductors at Huddersfield and Carlisle yes.

Skipton conductors sign:

Leeds - Carlisle and Morecambe
Leeds/Bradford FS to Skipton and Ilkley
Leeds to Bradford FS

Traction that I know of is 333, 331 and 158 there might be one or two others.

scrapy

Established Member

Buxton certainly still has a depot for both drivers and guards. I'm not sure of routes and traction though.

Barrow is split into 2 links ex TPE and ex FNW.
Both sign same traction. 156s, 158s, 195s and 331s (no booked work on 331s)

Both links sign
Barrow to Preston
Carnforth/Lancaster to Morecambe

Ex TPE also sign
Carnforth Sth jn to Windermere
Blackpool North to Fylde jn
Preston to Manchester Airport via Chorley
Euxton jn to Ordsall Ln via Wigan NW and Chat Moss

Ex FNW also sign
Morecambe to Heysham
Barrow to Carlisle via Workington

Workington depot sign Lancaster to Carlisle via Barrow and Workington. Traction 156 only.

Last edited: