• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disabled Railcard fare query

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
Do you have a source for this statement or is it your opinion? As senior railcards don't require photos and family & friends railcards don't need photos, it means your statement doesn't make sense. It may be difficult for a few disabled people to get their photo taken but as other railcards don't need photos there is nothing to suggest that this is the reason why. Oh, and blue badges require photos and people seem able to get them.
I agree with you.

But you have in that one sentence hit the crux of it.

Why should a disabled person have to rely on someone else to take a picture of them?

If they live alone for example and/or cannot operate a smartphone it is a barrier to them obtaining the goods and services they are entitled to. Hence the reasonable adjustment of not having to have a photograph on the railcard.

Likewise if someone has a facial disfigurement which they may/may not from time to time mask with make-up etc, it is a barrier to obtaining the Railcard. The DVLA issue driving licences without a facial picture to those with a facial disfigurment, the Disabled Railcard just goes further by not requiring it for any eligible disabled person.

The problem is that is implying a facial disfigurement is something that people would want to hide away. Far more positive for it to be regarded as something just as likely to be on a railcard photo as any other face.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, I have another query about this, as it is my friend that was recently issued with a disabled persons railcard & gets a discount of one third and as discussed above I will travelling with him so I also get the discount. If booking online, can I book and pay on my payment card, he will of course bring his railcard when we travel, but the booking would be in my name rather than his, or should he really do the booking? He is not too good with online transactions. I don't want any problems with the inspectors. Thanks again, Steve.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Hi, I have another query about this, as it is my friend that was recently issued with a disabled persons railcard & gets a discount of one third and as discussed above I will travelling with him so I also get the discount. If booking online, can I book and pay on my payment card, he will of course bring his railcard when we travel, but the booking would be in my name rather than his, or should he really do the booking? He is not too good with online transactions. I don't want any problems with the inspectors. Thanks again, Steve.

It matters not who does the booking. It can be either of you, or someone else entirely. It doesn’t matter at all. All that matters is that the railcard is carried at all times on the journey and is shown at all ticket inspections.

gray1404

Established Member
And the 2 discounted tickets can be purchased separately too, doesn't have to be at the same time.

Vespa

Established Member
I have disabled railcard. I preferred the hard card to the digital version as the battery will never run out on a physical card.
It works out cheaper to get a 3 year card.

Generally you get 1/3 off and have used it many times over, I've treated myself to first class on the back of it, it doesn't however give me any discount on the GWR sleeper service.

That said I've only been asked once to show my card, I still carry it around when I travel as sods law being what it is, the day you don't have it is probably the day they ask to see it.

gray1404

Established Member
Since Red Spotted Hanky stopped being a Tesco Clubcard partner, I've used my Clubcard points to buy a one year Disabled Person's Railcard. I always show my ticket and railcard together.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It matters not who does the booking. It can be either of you, or someone else entirely. It doesn’t matter at all. All that matters is that the railcard is carried at all times on the journey and is shown at all ticket inspections.
Great, thank you.

Urban-Savage

RE disabled railcards one thing i have noticed is that im never asked to show it - where as other railcards always are - only exception is sometimes barriers at Euston
Also - is there ever any further eligibility checks on renewal of these?

Saperstein

RE disabled railcards one thing i have noticed is that im never asked to show it - where as other railcards always are - only exception is sometimes barriers at Euston

Yes. Since I got my latest one in digital form (on my phone) I can count the number of times I have needed to produce it on one hand! (and that’s always been when challenged on the train.)

In fact it’s the same with tickets, only today I was waved through the gate line at Moorfields. Happens all the time at Chester.

I had opened my ticket wallet on approach but all that could be seen was my EMT smart card lol. (My Walrus card was underneath it).

Also - is there ever any further eligibility checks on renewal of these?

Never in my experience. I don’t see the point TBH. Disabled pax seldom become un-Disabled. If anything illnesses tend to progress further :(

Saperstein.

Llanigraham

Established Member
I've been asked to show my Card at Euston, B'ham New St and B'ham International, nearly every journey on TfW and was often asked on VirginWC. Have done 2 journeys on AvantiWC and not been asked for it.

Saperstein

I've been asked to show my Card at Euston, B'ham New St and B'ham International, nearly every journey on TfW and was often asked on VirginWC. Have done 2 journeys on AvantiWC and not been asked for it.

Yes *always* get a ticket check on TfW.

To clarify I don’t tend to use my Disabled Railcard on journeys within the Merseyrail Saveaway area as the Saveaway ticket is often cheaper but of course can’t be discounted by use of a railcard.

Saperstein.

gazthomas

Established Member
I have had mine checked multiple times, TfW and AWC. In the case of the latter eveb he QR code on the app was scanned

gray1404

Established Member
I just show mine as standard along with the ticket. I don't wait to be asked. Makes it easier and quicker for myself and the person checking tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.