• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dismal Stations Which Give A Poor First Impression Of The Town They Serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Yeah I'd agree. I wouldn't describe it as dismal though. And the decorative metalwork actually has meaning which is nice.

I suspect it isn’t going to be too many years before some of the current and recent architecture is going to seen with the same dislike as we view 1960s and 70s stuff.

My personal view is that the likes of the modular buildings at East Grinstead and Uckfield look utterly vile, and that they will date very badly. Same applies to all these footbridges cropping up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kendal is fairly dire. Platform level is tolerable, though very simple with the large original building providing a reminder of former glories.

What makes it really grim is the narrow walled entrance slope. High walls on both sides and curved, scarcely provides a welcome to quite a large and pleasant town. Guess it matters less here as Oxenholme does most of the work.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I suspect it isn’t going to be too many years before some of the current and recent architecture is going to seen with the same dislike as we view 1960s and 70s stuff.

My personal view is that the likes of the modular buildings at East Grinstead and Uckfield look utterly vile, and that they will date very badly. Same applies to all these footbridges cropping up.

Like the CLASP abominations that disfigure the Southern Region.

I’ve said this before, but I don’t quite get what’s so bad about Sunderland. It’s well sited, the platforms are straight down from the booking hall, and the platforms are sheltered and weather proof. I’d take it over something like Bradford Forster Square any day. I’d agree it’s not attractive, but it does the business.
It's due to be redeveloped. I'd post as link but was soundly told off last time I did so for breaching some arcane RF rule, so if interested, Google 'Sunderland station plans'.

Last edited:

rower40

I agree that Cambridge Main is much improved. Its main problem now is the long walk or annoying bus transfer to the city centre.
<Tongue-in-cheek> If you're arriving at Cambridge station without a bike or access to one, you've come to the wrong place. </Tongue-in-cheek>
(I spent the first 21 years of my life there. Never happier than when on two wheels.)

What about Newquay? One remaining platform (but the trackless other platform face is still there), out through a 70's concrete covered passage onto the main street, with no sea views and a Wimpy-a-like. Then a bit of a walk to the better shops, the harbour and the beaches.

ashkeba

Established Member
<Tongue-in-cheek> If you're arriving at Cambridge station without a bike or access to one, you've come to the wrong place. </Tongue-in-cheek>
(I spent the first 21 years of my life there. Never happier than when on two wheels.)
I would but bikes are banned on trains arriving in Cambridge in the morning peak! Amazing but true. And the new trains still only have a handful of off-peak bike spaces, giving a poor impression before you even reach one of the stations. Even regular commuters will need big locks or an unattractive bike if they want their bike still to be parked near the station when they return.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Have you ever been in Man Vic when the “BinLiner” comes through…absolutely stinking.
Rather it go by train then by lorry and kill us all through the pollution. But, not yet, no, maybe I'll change my opinion if I smell it in person

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's due to be redeveloped. I'd post as link but was soundly told off last time I did so for breaching some arcane RF rule, so if interested, Google 'Sunderland station plans'.
You could always just link to the thread about it:

Greetlander

Halifax. Poky platform, messy trackbed off platform 1, disused platform and weeds opposite platform 2. Cramped entrance and exit. Pretty impressive townscape once you get out though.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Cheltenham is grotty and a long way from the town. Know you can get the bus but doesn't make it convenient.

The exile

Established Member

I'm sure there must be "Somebody's Law of architecture" that says something like: "Today's 'award-winning fresh, ground-breaking, contemporary, exciting (etc) new building' is tomorrow's 'tasteless, old-fashioned, no longer fit for purpose, down-at-heel decaying structure' is the-day-after-tomorrow's 'award-winning architectural heritage gem'". It's about 50 years since we rehabilitated Victorian architecture, probably about 20-30 since we saw the value of Art Deco etc - I suspect 1950's / early 1960's structures (like Banbury, Chichester) are the next in line for the "heritage" queue. I find it hard to believe that we will ever be rushing to restore 1970's brutalist multi-story car parks (complete with flickering fluorescent lighting and with the genuine olfactory experience of the stairwells reproduced by 21st century technology!) but it will come. The whole process is not helped by the fact that a "new build" project costing £50 million (or whatever) gets lots of headlines, but replacing a bit of broken guttering at £5K doesn't, so even newish buildings quickly look tired and old (Poole, Oxford...)

greyman42

Established Member
I think Waverley is great - interesting and to me it actually does work quite well, and does to me serve as a decent introduction to the city.
Yes i like Waverley. My favourite exit is via the ramp as when you get to the top you are greeted by views of the Old Town on your left.

bspahh

Established Member
Surprised no one has mentioned Worcester Shrub Hill. Inside it is run down and tired (although the cafe is good) but outside there is that monstrosity of a tower block which urgently needs dynamiting. Even when you are past that the image of Worcester isn't brilliant as you come out opposite a retail park with old industrial estates on either side.
This is a refurbished waiting room at Worcester Shrub Hill

E58KkgSWEAMhffK

Trainfan2019

Enjoyable walk yesterday on the scenic Macclesfield canal with some pals and used two of the stations on the route, Kidsgrove and Congleton to access the canal.

Kidsgrove station is a quite a large grotty station, with four platforms and a run down, rusty footbridge to access three of the platforms, there doesn’t appear to be any step free access to those platforms. The entrance area to the station is scruffy and generally unloved, mind you Kidsgrove town centre didn’t look any better, so perhaps the station is in keeping with its surroundings, and as for the adjacent Railway pub…

Fast forward to Congleton, a well heeled Cheshire town and the area surrounding the station ‘Hightown’ is very smart with a fantastic pub opposite the station, Queens Head, excellent food and local ales…but Congleton station is a dump, a tiny concrete overhang for a waiting area, the station is dreary, paint peeling off all the buildings and the even the electronic PIS display wasn’t showing train departure information, and the electronic clock on the display unit was 20 minutes fast!

More alarming was the fact that the station footbridge from the ticket office (when open) and presumably the TVM was cordoned off and intending passengers had to retrace their steps to the main road and use the road bridge to access the UP platform. I timed it as 4 minutes to walk briskly to the UP platform, there are no signs at the station approach/entrance indicating that the footbridge was closed.

The railway is facing many challenges to encouraging passengers to return, but the likes of Kidsgrove and Congleton stations are not great adverts for using public transport.

Which other stations on our network give a very poor first impression and don’t due justice to the town they serve…?
Kidsgrove is currently undergoing a long delayed major refurbishment programme. This will bring it right up to date with modern day requirements. The photo below was taken this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_171531.jpg
    IMG_20210712_171531.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28

davetheguard

Established Member
You should have seen the old wooden horror that I had to use in 1967-70.

Oxford: and the CLASP-type building that followed it.

I found Bath Spa at platform level to be lovely. I will agree that the entrance/exit arrangements do feel rather chaotic though.

I think Bath is one of the most beautiful stations in the country. But then I really like Victorian Gothic Revival architecture.

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
Kidsgrove is currently undergoing a long delayed major refurbishment programme. This will bring it right up to date with modern day requirements. The photo below was taken this evening.
Yes, I did see lots of construction work in and around the station area, it’s long overdue, the same could be said about Congleton station too…!

camflyer

Yes i like Waverley. My favourite exit is via the ramp as when you get to the top you are greeted by views of the Old Town on your left.

I was in Edinburgh last week for the first time in several years. There have been some improvements since I was last year but for such an important station in a key location (possibly the best located station in the UK), it is still looking dated. The proposals for a new roof and mezzanine level look great.

I was also in Glasgow where I was pleased to see Queen St had received a facelift. It used to have the feel of a provincial bus station from the 70s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was in Edinburgh last week for the first time in several years. There have been some improvements since I was last year but for such an important station in a key location (possibly the best located station in the UK), it is still looking dated.

It's a historic city, a historic looking station is a good fit!

Please tell me they are not going to put one of those hideous cheapo blow up plastic roof efforts on it, that would ruin it.

I was also in Glasgow where I was pleased to see Queen St had received a facelift. It used to have the feel of a provincial bus station.

Yes, that's a considerable upgrade - reminds me a bit of Koeln Hbf (but nicer) now.

Killingworth

Established Member
I’ve said this before, but I don’t quite get what’s so bad about Sunderland. It’s well sited, the platforms are straight down from the booking hall, and the platforms are sheltered and weather proof. I’d take it over something like Bradford Forster Square any day. I’d agree it’s not attractive, but it does the business.
I'll accept all three points, it is central, the platforms are straight down from the booking hall and the platforms are sheltered from weather and sea gulls.

However, we're talking first impressions. Last time I visited I'd come straight off a CrossCountry service into Newcastle. Dashed for the Metro and half hour ride to Sunderland. Not too bad, but no toilets on Metro and searching up and down the platform no signage to any on the station. It's good to get comfortable before meeting anyone. Alongside was a Great Central train ticking over and I was tempted to try there! The nearby Library and Museum is well worth a visit.

So my first impression was of a dingy tube like station, diesel noise and fumes and a distinct lack of convenience. I award Sunderland my first prize and wish them every success with redevelopment.

Stranraer is one my grandfather would have used for the boat to Belfast. It is a sad sight today, but the staff are clearly doing their best.

Brush 4

Milford Haven is just a Portakabin for tickets, plonked on the foundations of the proper former building and a bus stop shelter on the platform. Very depressing first impression.

Pontypridd is a victim of BR (I presume) rationalisation. A lovely listed building, half of it is unused at the north end. The old Cardiff bound line was reduced to a bay. The Valleys side is now the Cardiff side and a new platform was built opposite the main station on the old goods lines, for Valley services northbound. The northern half is disused and rapidly being taken over by bushes on the platform and trackbed. Why the old Cardiff side can't be reconnected to the main line I don't know but, that would bring the whole station back into use and make the isolated newer platform surplus, although it could remain as extra capacity. Despite the huge building, there is no buffet or even a kiosk. The toilets are kept locked and you have to ask to go in. (Please Sir, may I be excused?)

dk1

Veteran Member
The square in front of Coventry Station has changed quite radically over the last few years. The dreary office blocks that used to bridge the station approach have all gone, as have the subways to reach the city centre.
I was very impressed with Coventry when I visited by rail in late 2019.

Cambridge North. You exit the station into a soulless plaza/bus-turnaround/car-park staring at the backside of a giant nudey statue! And if you do not know where to go for the river path, you will spend a long time walking through a bland industrial estate to get to average suburbia.

It is a new station. How did it go so wrong?
It’s a catalyst for future development sadly held back during Covid. Give it time.

plugwash

Established Member
I agree that Cambridge Main is much improved. Its main problem now is the long walk or annoying bus transfer to the city centre.
That and the new platforms were grafted on in an awkward way. Rather than a footbridge direct from the booking office to the new platforms the station has a footbridge at one end, So if you are at the London end of the train and it arrives into one of the new platforms you have a long walk from train to exit. Made all the more annoying by the fact that when you get down from the footbridge you can see a gate to the outside, but it's locked shut most of the time because there is no ticket checking infrastructure there.

I guess it was the only thing they could do within the constraints of the existing station, but it's still not the best arrival experience.

camflyer

That and the new platforms were grafted on in an awkward way. Rather than a footbridge direct from the booking office to the new platforms the station has a footbridge at one end, So if you are at the London end of the train and it arrives into one of the new platforms you have a long walk from train to exit. Made all the more annoying by the fact that when you get down from the footbridge you can see a gate to the outside, but it's locked shut most of the time because there is no ticket checking infrastructure there.

I guess it was the only thing they could do within the constraints of the existing station, but it's still not the best arrival experience.

Hopefully when an eastern entrance to Cambridge is eventually built things will improve by reducing the overcrowding on the main platform and add a second footbridge to the south.

Mordac

Established Member
I like council swimming pools. More to the point though the approach on foot from the city centre had been greatly improved.
That's definitely true. It's probably at the point where the City looks much better than the station, whereas a few years ago they were probably on the same level. Not convinced the current improvement works will do a lot to improve it aesthetically either, although I'm sure they'll improve its functionality.

MikeWM

Established Member

It's especially tedious to transfer between the London end of the new platforms and the London-facing bay platforms. Just measured it on google maps, and it can be as much as a 400m walk to get to a train you can see immediately adjacent!

It really does need a bridge/underpass/subway/something at the south end.

Nottingham is similar - not terribly unusual to have to change between two of the east-facing platforms, . That's about 400m too - could really do with a bridge/subway further east.

I lived there for about 20 years, and never owned or used a bike once :) I am a little bit unusual though!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like Coventry as well. It has a very unified style and looks all the better for it. Nice period piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.