• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

District and Circle Lines work 4-12 August 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
A special combined District/Hammersmith & City Line service will operate Hammersmith-Upminster via King’s Cross
Interesting wording. We all know this means Hammersmith-Upminster via Latimer Road and King's Cross, but it could also describe Hammersmith-Upminster via Barons Court and King's Cross — especially when it comes right after a description of many other services all via Earl's Court.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Interesting wording. We all know this means Hammersmith-Upminster via Latimer Road and King's Cross, but it could also describe Hammersmith-Upminster via Barons Court and King's Cross — especially when it comes right after a description of many other services all via Earl's Court.
How would a train start/finish its journey at Hammersmith (District), run empty from Ealing?

Snow1964

Established Member
How would a train start/finish its journey at Hammersmith (District), run empty from Ealing?
I see the subtle difference, if you asked the average Londoner which platform at Hammersmith for Upminister, the standard answer would be District line one adjacent to Piccadilly line platform.

What this wording doesn’t make very clear is that Upminster trains are starting at other Hammersmith station

The choice of Kings Cross is another bit of bonkers LU speak, as there is no station on LU with that exact name, they are using half the station name (bit like saying via Liverpool, instead of using full name Liverpool street)

Snow1964

Established Member
TfL have now issued a Press Release regarding the District and circle Lines Closure
From next Wednesday, 4 August, until Thursday 12 August there will be closures on the lines for essential track replacement work
"It is not a decision we have taken lightly, but this carrying out this vital and safety-critical work in one closure will mean we are able to reduce overall disruption"
Esther Sharples
  • Extensive alternatives are available, including numerous high-frequency bus routes in the area and easily accessible walking and cycling options

So it seems cycling and walking are part of recommended alternatives to an air conditioned train in August

There is a dedicated link to a travel advice page listed on the press release (but it doesn’t work)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
15 from Aldgate East to Charing Cross station, short walk

But it doesn't go past the other closed stations en route.

It would make sense, during the closure, to run a (possibly express) bus along the embankment linking all the stations from Westminster to Blackfriars (then continuing along one block "inland" to Tower Hill and on to Aldgate / Aldgate East, so linking with all the rest).

In fact, I'm always surprised there isn't any bus service along that river corridor from Westminster to Blackfriars anyway [apart from occasional night buses] - it's a popular stretch for leisure/tourist users, and there are some long stretches between stations ... it would help relieve congestion on the trunk section of the District, even when it is running.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But it doesn't go past the other closed stations en route.

Except it does - the 15 goes right past Tower Hill, Monument, Cannon St, Mansion House, and within a couple of minutes walk of Blackfriars, Temple and Embankment.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Except it does - the 15 goes right past Tower Hill, Monument, Cannon St, Mansion House, and within a couple of minutes walk of Blackfriars, Temple and Embankment.

Yes - I know that calling at intermediate stations wasn't mentioned in the question; but in case people not au fait with the area assumed that a bus from one end to the other would pass them all, I put in what I hoped was a helpful clarification. The western stations, where the bus goes "a couple of minutes' walk" away ... well, if my knee's playing up I can't get up the hill from the embankment (where the stations are) to the bus route in anything like 2 minutes!

I still think, given the normal passenger load on that line at times, that a replacement bus calling at all stations would be helpful.

Class 170101

Established Member
Sounds like Route 15 would be better boosted between Aldgate East and Charing Cross rather than a dedicated Rail Replacement Bus

AM9

Veteran Member
I went on the H&C this afternoon from Paddington to Farringdon. The PIS on the platforms billed the trains as "District Line" to "Upminster". On board, the indicators and announcements said that it was a "H&C service to Barking" and then listed the stops as far as Barking. There was no mention of District Line or anywhere east of Barking.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Unfortunately, S stock trains are not able to display and announce Hammersmith (Met) to Upminster (and vice versa) as it has not been provided on the system - it isn't a 'common' pattern and did not exist at all (it is now booked in both directions in ordinary running) until after the S stock were introduced.

The new ATO signalling between Hammersmith and Stepney Green is capable of displaying the train's 'true' destination, but there are also similar system limitations with the legacy train description feeds east there of (in both directions).

Trains should, ideally, be labelled on the west as a District to Aldgate East (or Whitechapel) as far as Barking, and then a H&C to Hammersmith, and on the west as a H&C to Barking as far as Aldgate East, and then as a District to Upminster.

It's a less than ideal situation, but it is crucially important to make the CIS as functional as possible for those who rely on it.

rebmcr

Established Member
I remember a Check Front Of Train showing up with a blank display at West Ham WB one morning. I asked the TOp where he was going (Hammersmith) and about 30 seconds after I boarded, the PIS sprang to life! :D

Dstock7080

Established Member
Services resumed this morning however it seems only the eastbound track received the full concrete slab and flat-bottomed rail treatment at Embankment.
A second round of closures will likely be needed after problems experienced during this work.

LU_timetabler

Yes - I know that calling at intermediate stations wasn't mentioned in the question; but in case people not au fait with the area assumed that a bus from one end to the other would pass them all, I put in what I hoped was a helpful clarification. The western stations, where the bus goes "a couple of minutes' walk" away ... well, if my knee's playing up I can't get up the hill from the embankment (where the stations are) to the bus route in anything like 2 minutes!

I still think, given the normal passenger load on that line at times, that a replacement bus calling at all stations would be helpful.
TfL rail replacement bus policy is not to provide rail replacement bus services across Zone 1. Hence District replacement buses starting at Tower Hill and heading east via Canning Town (as low bridge precludes West Ham being served) towards Barking. On days when the District does not reach Tower Hill, but Met and Circle run to Aldgate, then the bus starts from Liverpool Street. The west-end replacement bus services come out of Earls Court and Hammersmith. For as long as I've known it, the policy to not run rail replacement across Zone 1 is based on the multiple other Underground lines and regular bus services serving the area.

I see the subtle difference, if you asked the average Londoner which platform at Hammersmith for Upminister, the standard answer would be District line one adjacent to Piccadilly line platform.

What this wording doesn’t make very clear is that Upminster trains are starting at other Hammersmith station

The choice of Kings Cross is another bit of bonkers LU speak, as there is no station on LU with that exact name, they are using half the station name (bit like saying via Liverpool, instead of using full name Liverpool street)
This comment regarding referencing the appropriate Hammersmith station has been taken on board, and the next notice issued for this type of service pattern, due to operate on a weekend mid-September, will be sent out with revised reference to which Hammersmith station we are referring to. I can't promise that this will follow all the way through to the publicity that customers see, but it will be suitably amended on the Timetable Notice, on which hopefully, much of the information to the public is based.

Last edited:
I know this is a bit late but during the blockade Aldgate East was close due to staff shortages. Was trains tipped out at Whitechapel and ran empty to Aldgate East?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I know this is a bit late but during the blockade Aldgate East was close due to staff shortages. Was trains tipped out at Whitechapel and ran empty to Aldgate East?
No. There no longer exists the ability to reverse trains at Aldgate East with the crossover removed as part of track rationalisation works.

As mentioned up thread, a combined service ran Upminster-Hammersmith (Met), crewed by District staff between Upminster and Barking and H&C staff west thereof. At weekends a split Hammersmith-Whitechapel and Whitechapel-Upminster service operated, with some additional Hammersmith-Barking services, due to staff shortages. Aldgate East was non-stopped during the period of staff unavailability.

Status
Not open for further replies.