• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ditra Chimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureOtsu

Is there anywhere on the network you can still hear these infamous chimes?

I heard rumours that they still play on some chiltern stations, and that Northern are reintroducing the ditra system for some reason.

Does london overground still have these on the west Croydon branch? a recent recording of norwood junction had them playing in the background. (2 weeks ago)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

365 Networker

I think he is talking about this chime:-

I haven't heard for years - the last time was Birmingham New Street around early 2012.

Northern are reintroducing the ditra system for some reason.
Ditra were acquired by a company called KeTech and northern are using the Celia Drummond voice, although that may end as she passed away recently. As far as I am aware, Northern do not use the chime.

AzureOtsu

Ditra were acquired by a company called KeTech and northern are using the Celia Drummond voice, although that may end as she passed away recently. As far as I am aware, Northern do not use the chime.
So am I right in believing that the only places you can still hear the chimes are on chiltern & london overground?

Parallel

Established Member
You used to be able to hear them at Haddenham and Thame Parkway, and some Northern stations in the North East, but since both Northern and Chiltern have standardised their systems, they are no longer played.

Someone reported last year hearing the Ditra chime at Newcastle followed by an announcement about poor weather but I’ve not heard this myself.

You do also get a French horn play at some LO stations in South London (Norwood Junction, New Cross Gate and West Croydon) for passing trains but this isn’t the same as the Ditra chime. There are no chimes used at LO stations that use the Amey/Ditra system.

Last edited:

AzureOtsu

You do also get a French horn play at some LO stations in South London (Norwood Junction, New Cross Gate and West Croydon) for passing trains but this isn’t the same as the Ditra chime. There are no chimes used at LO stations that use the Amey/Ditra system.
The French horn chime is part of ditra afaik. when I was a child on the west coastway line it used to play when the PIS was announcing the train was ready to leave.

DelW

Established Member
I think he is talking about this chime:-

I haven't heard for years - the last time was Birmingham New Street around early 2012.

I always used to expect that four-note chime to be followed by "hello campers" in a Welsh accent!

ChilternTurbo

I was always a fan of the rather jolly SNCF announcement jingle. Always the sound track to me struggling with my Grade C GCSE French and getting reply back in perfect English...

Status
Not open for further replies.