• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Diversions due to line closures in the Bristol area (August 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Just to add to the 'fun' the Bristol area today passing through chippenham station at around 1620 was a London - Swansea service so maybe something happened to the west of Bristol Parkway now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Just to add to the 'fun' the Bristol area today passing through chippenham station at around 1620 was a London - Swansea service so maybe something happened to the west of Bristol Parkway now.
Yes - from journey check
Alterations to services between Swindon and Bristol Parkway
Due to a points failure between Swindon and Bristol Parkway the line is closed.
Alterations to services between Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-Super-Mare
Due to a points failure between Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-Super-Mare the line towards Weston-super-Mare is disrupted.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Lots of different incidents coming together today to cause chaos in the Bristol area:
  • Overrunning engineering works this morning
  • Points failure at Westerleigh Jn
  • Obstruction in the Severn Tunnel
  • Points failure at Worle Jn
Heard that the diagram forming the class 9 services through St Philips Marsh is likely to be formed of a unit tomorrow but an HST again on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Internal power struggles between Fleet (who want to keep HST mileage down) and spottery Control types :lol:

The exile

Established Member
Prompted by a discussion aboard the only southbound train to actually make it through "the Marsh" in service today, does anyone have a date for the last time a scheduled public passenger train ran that way? (as opposed to depot open-day shuttles, railtours etc.). Someone suggested 60 years....

A more esoteric question - have there been other occasions where a scheduled service train has passed through a carriage washer? Before anyone asks, it wasn't in operation!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Prompted by a discussion aboard the only southbound train to actually make it through "the Marsh" in service today, does anyone have a date for the last time a scheduled public passenger train ran that way? (as opposed to depot open-day shuttles, railtours etc.). Someone suggested 60 years....

A more esoteric question - have there been other occasions where a scheduled service train has passed through a carriage washer? Before anyone asks, it wasn't in operation!

Although more for the London Underground section, I am unsure if Queens Park has a washer or not. I know that Bakerloo trains continuing northwards actually run through the LU depot.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Back in Steam Days up to the 60s there used to be a procession of trains on Saturdays to and from the West of England and the North West of England with holidaymakers and the route was used in those days to avoid an already busy Temple Meads. One such train was an 0825 Ilfracombe to Manchester and travelled via the Marches.

Annetts key

Established Member
1114 Parkway - Weston-S-M was cancelled.
Train manager was trapped at Bristol T.M…. So it ran ECS to Bedmister, where it started passenger service. Due to the earlier problems at Dr Days Junction.

Lots of different incidents coming together today to cause chaos in the Bristol area:
  • Overrunning engineering works this morning
  • Points failure at Westerleigh Jn
  • Obstruction in the Severn Tunnel
  • Points failure at Worle Jn
The Bristol East project overran due to safety testing of the signalling not being completed at the expected time.
And an axle counter section at Dr Days Junction was ‘failed’ locking some important points. Until this was sorted, the protection for the Bristol East project could not be shortened back as planned.

As stated above, a point failure occurred at Westerleigh Junction. Multiple problems were found which required substantial work to carry out a repair.

The points failure was at Uphill Junction, not Worle Junction. Up trains ran as booked, but down trains called at Worle and Highbridge but did not call at Weston Milton or Weston-super-Mare.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The points failure was at Uphill Junction, not Worle Junction. Up trains ran as booked, but down trains called at Worle and Highbridge but did not call at Weston Milton or Weston-super-Mare.
From that I assume they'd failed normal UM-DM and reverse UM-U/D WSM?

Annetts key

Established Member
From that I assume they'd failed normal UM-DM and reverse UM-U/D WSM?
As I understand it, originally they failed to go to ‘normal’ and trapped an up train. Signaller eventually got normal detection, so was able to run the trapped train. Then maintained them in this position. Hence with this crossover being kept in the ‘normal’ position, up trains were no longer affected (so UM -> WSM and UM -> UM okay), Trains on the down avoider (DM -> DM) were okay. But no movements from WSM -> DM.

Jim

Established Member
Heard that the diagram forming the class 9 services through St Philips Marsh is likely to be formed of a unit tomorrow but an HST again on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Internal power struggles between Fleet (who want to keep HST mileage down) and spottery Control types :lol:
2C07 064bungle Bristol to Penzance set never escaped SPM yesterday and as such, there is now enough sets in the Bristol area to run it all week, no "spottery intervention" as you may describe it from listening to that conversation will be required anymore to operate the trains with a HST, as there is enough in the Bristol area. As a result, there will be a diagram on the "mainline" misformed for a few days now. There is a moves to/from Doncaster this week too adding strain on the availability of sets, it appears.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
As I understand it, originally they failed to go to ‘normal’ and trapped an up train. Signaller eventually got normal detection, so was able to run the trapped train. Then maintained them in this position. Hence with this crossover being kept in the ‘normal’ position, up trains were no longer affected (so UM -> WSM and UM -> UM okay), Trains on the down avoider (DM -> DM) were okay. But no movements from WSM -> DM
Makes sense, thanks!

Seem to be running alright today. Am planning to visit tomorrow. Any update on likely train formation please? A Castle would be great for the 1114 southbound (9Y65)...

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Seem to be running alright today. Am planning to visit tomorrow. Any update on likely train formation please? A Castle would be great for the 1114 southbound (9Y65)...
Booked a 255 but at the moment who knows what tomorrow will bring

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can happily confirm the 11:14 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare is indeed a Castle set, formed of 43194+43172. Unsurprisingly, pretty busy with enthusiasts. Window seat in coach D got, looking forward to getting the track done :D And on an HST, very pleased about that!

The exile

Established Member
I can happily confirm the 11:14 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare is indeed a Castle set, formed of 43194+43172. Unsurprisingly, pretty busy with enthusiasts. Window seat in coach D got, looking forward to getting the track done :D And on an HST, very pleased about that!
Ah - it’s obviously the one that knows the way!

Adam0984

I think GWR have used their heads and put the HSTs on the diversion as they know it will be busy with enthusiasts and a sprinkling of normal people in between

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I think GWR have used their heads and put the HSTs on the diversion as they know it will be busy with enthusiasts and a sprinkling of normal people in between
Not really as the overzealous use of HSTs in place of units has caused a major issue for the resourcing team. Should always all have been units

The exile

Established Member
Looking at the loadings on Monday (which was admittedly probably atypical given the general meltdown of services), I'm surprised, though very grateful, that they're running them at all. If even 10% of the passengers were actually wanting to get from Parkway / Filton to Nailsea or points to the south (rather than "yellow penning" [other colours are available] the line via SPM) I'd be very surprised.
The cynic in me almost wonders whether it was to prove that it wouldn't work / wasn't worth it - but other than wiring up Temple Meads (most of which wouldn't require a whole station block), I can't think of other occasions that would warrant the diversion.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
There were a fair number of people clearly heading to Weston on the 1114, so I wouldn't say that it was all enthusiasts (although there were a couple of GWR office based staff near me doing it for the ride).

Interested to see three pacers still "resting" in the depot. Curious that they haven't gone elsewhere given GWR clearly has no further use for them.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
There were a fair number of people clearly heading to Weston on the 1114, so I wouldn't say that it was all enthusiasts (although there were a couple of GWR office based staff near me doing it for the ride).

Interested to see three pacers still "resting" in the depot. Curious that they haven't gone elsewhere given GWR clearly has no further use for them.
They're awaiting collection

The exile

Established Member
They're awaiting collection
“We attempted to deliver your pacer today but you were out and it wouldn’t fit through the letterbox. Please bring this card and evidence of identity to St Philips Marsh when you come to collect it”

tiptoptaff

Established Member
“We attempted to deliver your pacer today but you were out and it wouldn’t fit through the letterbox. Please bring this card and evidence of identity to St Philips Marsh when you come to collect it”
Hermes tried delivering them to one of the industrial units but instead threw them over our fence

-Colly405-

Yesterday, the 0915 ex-BPW (166) was fairly full, especially with a lot of normals with buckets and spades heading to Weston for the day.

And most of them were on the 1529 return (HST)

pdeaves

Established Member
For the record, the 1529 from Weston today was chock full of seasiders heading home. Judging by the accents I heard in my carriage, a very good proportion was heading for Wales.

So, on the basis of this example, it was worth running the service for real passengers.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
For the record, the 1529 from Weston today was chock full of seasiders heading home. Judging by the accents I heard in my carriage, a very good proportion was heading for Wales.

So, on the basis of this example, it was worth running the service for real passengers.
Weston's gain is Barry Island's loss then.

Sean Emmett

IIRC in the mid 1980s a down Night Riviera was once sent through the carriage washer between Temple Meads and Bedminster.

Dai Corner

Established Member
IIRC in the mid 1980s a down Night Riviera was once sent through the carriage washer between Temple Meads and Bedminster.
Malago Vale carriage sidings. Back in the days when locos and rolling stock had separate facilities!

D6975

Established Member

Yes to both. Back in the 1980s the 16xx Taunton-Bristol stopper regularly went via the Marsh to avoid having to run round at TM before forming the 17xx return.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Oh my that tickled my funny bone! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The crowd off the 1114 from Parkway yesterday was massive, although if we hadn't been waiting for that delayed IET from Swansea it would have been much smaller. I'd guess some of the crowds were also on the way to places like Brean for summer holidays.

Definitely needed the GTi HSTs out, although it's worth noting 43098+43042 on the 1225 from Weston to Taunton was pretty quiet. So I'd agree much of the crowd must have come from South Wales. Quite why I don't know, is there anything particularly exciting in Weston? When I eventually make it there for an actual revisit, I'll have my bike with me to ride over to Brean (and other places) on an exploring mission, but if there's something interesting in Weston I'll certainly be keen to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.