• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[DK] DSB's first three EBs (Vectron) have arrived in Denmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonasB

DSB's first EB's arrived in Denmark earlier today, here is a video of them shot in Padborg where they were handed over to Hector rail for the last bit of the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Presumably they will be based at Otto Busses Vej indtil the new depot at Naestved (no Scandinavian characters on my iPad) opens in 2025 (or later).

JonasB

Presumably they will be based at Otto Busses Vej indtil the new depot at Naestved (no Scandinavian characters on my iPad) opens in 2025 (or later).

Possible, I don't know much about DSB's depots. But, they plan to put them in service before the end of October. DSB are really looking forward to get rid of the last EAs.

On Moderation

JonasB

I'll bet that, after the AnsaldoBreda fiasco, DSB are glad they went for a standard product that has many hundreds of units in service with a proven record of performance. Rather than going for, say, Skoda as an alternative.

That was one of the requirements if I'm not mistaken, an off the shelf product proven to work.

On Moderation
That was one of the requirements if I'm not mistaken, an off the shelf product proven to work.
Think that’s correct, which rather begs the question as to why Skoda bothered bidding!

Gloster

Established Member
I suspect that it was, at least in part, showing that they could play on the same field as the big boys.

On Moderation
I suspect that it was, at least in part, showing that they could play on the same field as the big boys.
And for DSB, they were useful in keeping Siemens honest. There was only ever going to be one winner of that contract, though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Were these trains when hauled by the diesel ME locos previously operating entirely under the wires then, given the change to electric or has DB altered the services the double deckers work?

Gloster

Established Member
Double-decker coaches worked both under the wires to Slagelse and over the non-electrified lines. They were mostly worked by ME, but the last four EA electrics were just hanging on with a couple of turns, possibly only one turn now.

JonasB

Were these trains when hauled by the diesel ME locos previously operating entirely under the wires then, given the change to electric or has DB altered the services the double deckers work?

The first EBs have replaced the older electrics EA. But yes, many of the MEs operate entirely under wires, and even more so after the recent electrification projects. And Denmark plans to electrify more in the coming years, there is a map here: https://www.bane.dk/Borger/Baneproj...Kort-_-faa-et-overblik-over-elektrificeringen The UK has a larger proportion of the railway network electrified than Denmark but the danes are trying to change that and have a pretty ambitious plan. It should be noted that before the line to Esbjerg was electrified, basically the only electrified lines in the country was a line from Copenhagen to Padborg for transit traffic between Sweden and Germany and some suburban lines around Copenhagen.

(They have also experimented with wireless electrification, here you can see an IR4 EMU departing Århus station:
:D)

Last edited:

JonasB

how did they do that?, BMU?

It is coupled to an IC3 DMU, they can run in multiple with each other. And the IC3 can supply power to the IR4, not much but enough to power the headlights, the cab and other essential functions for it to be used as a driving trailer for the DMU.

Gloster

Established Member
how did they do that?, BMU?

According to the jernbanen.dk website the IR4 EMU was in Aarhus for life extension work and it was the IC3 DMU pushing that provided the power. It was an ecs working, so only the basic control systems needed to be powered in the EMU.

popeter45

It is coupled to an IC3 DMU, they can run in multiple with each other. And the IC3 can supply power to the IR4, not much but enough to power the headlights, the cab and other essential functions for it to be used as a driving trailer for the DMU.
ah so more a drag than actually powering it?

Gloster

Established Member
ah so more a drag than actually powering it?

Basically, yes, but with the computer, driver’s displays, etc. functioning in the IR4: it could control the IC3. However, passenger facilities such as heating, lights, etc. were dead in the EMU.

EDIT: The DMU had been at the front of the working to Aarhus. The bit at the start of the video shows the sets being shunted out of the station after arrival (I presume).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The first EBs have replaced the older electrics EA. But yes, many of the MEs operate entirely under wires, and even more so after the recent electrification projects. And Denmark plans to electrify more in the coming years, there is a map here: https://www.bane.dk/Borger/Baneproj...Kort-_-faa-et-overblik-over-elektrificeringen The UK has a larger proportion of the railway network electrified than Denmark but the danes are trying to change that and have a pretty ambitious plan. It should be noted that before the line to Esbjerg was electrified, basically the only electrified lines in the country was a line from Copenhagen to Padborg for transit traffic between Sweden and Germany and some suburban lines around Copenhagen.

(They have also experimented with wireless electrification, here you can see an IR4 EMU departing Århus station:
:D)

Thanks for that, I have a basic knowledge of the classes of train found in Denmark but not exactly how they are all utilised.

Status
Not open for further replies.