• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR unit usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
Is there any pattern as to allocations of units on different branches of the DLR? I am after numerous B90, B92 and B2K before they disappear, are these prevalent on any particular routes or is it a free for all?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Whilst not a DLR expert, I don't think so. All of the units seem to turn up on any of the routes at random.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You can cover all the daily diagrams relatively easy a spell of about an hour at each of Poplar, Canary Wharf and Canning Town would do.

TheManWho

Is there any pattern as to allocations of units on different branches of the DLR? I am after numerous B90, B92 and B2K before they disappear, are these prevalent on any particular routes or is it a free for all?
The vehicles are used on all the routes so there's no real pattern on what is used on what. All units are currently operating as 3-car so, as others have said, you should be able to see most of the vehicles in a couple of hours at Poplar, Canary Wharf and Canning Town.

The only unit you definitely won't see is 39, which is being used as a donor unit and is unlikely to be used in service again

Taunton

Established Member
Our local system.

As described, they are used indiscriminately. There are about two of the "old" types (90, 92 and 2K) for every one of the "new" types (07 and 12), and each service seems to have them deployed each day in the same proportion. Within each type the trains are also formed mixed of the various vintages. One thing you won't see is a train formed with old and new types together - I don't know if they can't, or just don't do it.

About 45 minutes at Canning Town, followed by the same at Canary Wharf, will pick off all in service. Nothing at Poplar that doesn't serve the other points, although it does overlook the smaller depot sidings. The larger Beckton depot is out of sight of any line, you need to hike round from Galleons Reach to even get a distant view, plus (from what I gather you want to do) have very good binoculars.

There's a detailed DLR working timetable in downloadable Excel spreadsheet format somewhere on the web that was made available in response to a Freedom of Information request, can't see it immediately, maybe someone else can point to it.

clagmonster

Established Member
Thanks very much all for the gen.

I am after a ride on all the units (sadly I expect to miss 39), so once I am down to my last few I will fester as suggested at Canning Town and Canary Wharf.

Is 39 at Poplar or Beckton? As I don't expect to ever have a ride on it, it would be nice to at least see it.

TheManWho

Our local system.

As described, they are used indiscriminately. There are about two of the "old" types (90, 92 and 2K) for every one of the "new" types (07 and 12), and each service seems to have them deployed each day in the same proportion. Within each type the trains are also formed mixed of the various vintages. One thing you won't see is a train formed with old and new types together - I don't know if they can't, or just don't do it.

About 45 minutes at Canning Town, followed by the same at Canary Wharf, will pick off all in service. Nothing at Poplar that doesn't serve the other points, although it does overlook the smaller depot sidings. The larger Beckton depot is out of sight of any line, you need to hike round from Galleons Reach to even get a distant view, plus (from what I gather you want to do) have very good binoculars.

There's a detailed DLR working timetable in downloadable Excel spreadsheet format somewhere on the web that was made available in response to a Freedom of Information request, can't see it immediately, maybe someone else can point to it.
The B92s and B2007s can only be coupled for "rescue"

Thanks very much all for the gen.

I am after a ride on all the units (sadly I expect to miss 39), so once I am down to my last few I will fester as suggested at Canning Town and Canary Wharf.

Is 39 at Poplar or Beckton? As I don't expect to ever have a ride on it, it would be nice to at least see it.
39 is outside sheds at Beckton Depot- unfortunately won't be able to see it from the roads outside the depot

mackeral1234

Our local system.

Status
Not open for further replies.