• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Avanti services ever continue north from Manchester Piccadilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
During the signalling fiasco a month or so back when the route from Cheadle Hulme south was blocked for a considerable length of time, Avanti ran Manchester to Crewe services via 13/14, those running into Manchester terminating there before going ECS to Longsight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Amongst the more interesting things I have noted over many years of observing Piccadilly have been, on realising a Pendolino cab is sitting closer to the signal than normal, finding on the blocks a 323 with a 9 car Pendolino on top, and on another occasion a 156 with 11 car Pendo on top! Obviously these in the longer platforms. An interesting experience for the inward 390 driver to be faced with 'cats eyes' into an occupied platform!

Also, in another context, the screen in one of the terminal platforms displaying a departure (albeit cancelled) to Blackpool, this on occasions when a Hazel Grove - Blackpool is being terminated short and re-platformed into the shed, but 'the system' still has it as a Blackpool train although cancelled forward from Piccadilly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also, in another context, the screen in one of the terminal platforms displaying a departure (albeit cancelled) to Blackpool, this on occasions when a Hazel Grove - Blackpool is being terminated short and re-platformed into the shed, but 'the system' still has it as a Blackpool train although cancelled forward from Piccadilly.

I've seen a Liverpool showing in the main trainshed not as cancelled, and wondered which way it was going to go, but it was (obviously) cancelled in the end.

plugwash

Established Member
Reminds me of one time I was at Cambridge, my train southbound was showing on the electronic systems as going from one of the north facing bays.

Manual announcements were telling us we should ignore the electronic systems. Apparently the problem was they needed to do a unit swap and couldn't move the headcode from the old unit to the new unit until it actually arrived.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A couple of years back, (then) Virgin ran a special Manchester Piccadilly - Oxenholme service in connection with a music festival, albeit via Crewe (presumably so it could use the main shed at Piccadilly)

Kendalino they called it for Kendal Calling. A friend was on it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
A couple of years back, (then) Virgin ran a special Manchester Piccadilly - Oxenholme service in connection with a music festival, albeit via Crewe (presumably so it could use the main shed at Piccadilly)

Kendalino they called it for Kendal Calling. A friend was on it.
Back in 2015, I believe, but wasn't "Kenrith" (Penrith - North Lakes) the actual train destination, with bus transfer then to the festival?

Kendal Express said:
Final Call, all aboard the Kendal-ino Express!!

Our super-special train running non-stop from Manchester Piccadilly to Penrith. Departing on Thursday 30 July (2015) at 9.58am, returning on Monday 3 August at 12.57pm.

Location was Lowther Deer Park in Cumbria, if I rightly recall, which is on the South side of Penrith.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Despite the festival's name it isn't actually in Kendal, it's in Hackthorpe, not far south of Penrith and a long way from Oxenholme. I guess it started in Kendal and was moved to a more suitable location as it has grown.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I guess it started in Kendal and was moved to a more suitable location as it has grown.
First three "Kendal Calling" festivals were indeed held in the Kendal area, between 2006 and 2008. First one was a 2 day festival at Abbot Hall Park within view of Kendal Castle with a crowd limit of 900.

Moved to Lowther Deer Park (near Hackthorpe) in 2009 with a marked increase in capacity. (It's since been an up to 25,000 four day festival). Been held there every year since, except 2020 (COVID-19).

Moderator note: Discussion continues at

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.