• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kelford

I'm starting to plan my train room. (yes the wife game me a whole room in the house to use for a layout) im setting it as a Southern Region in the 60's so a mixture of Steam and Diesel
Steam and diesel, no electrics. Would I be correct in guessing the ex-LSWR then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Well my baseboards have arrived so it was rude not to have a bit of a tinker. The baseboard still need screwing together to properly allign them, but all the legs are finished.

I’ve dropped the L shape baseboards and gone for a 12ft straight line instead. The curve of the L was making things more complicated while not adding too much additional benefit.

What you can see is a rough version of my track plan. There will be 3 platforms, one of which will also act as a parcels platform. There will then be one goods siding and a military siding, with the military depot spilling onto my layout a little. I’ve managed to incorporate a small engine shed and loco stabling siding.

Station operation is shunt release, which saves space and appears to be prototypical. As well as being a small terminus my layout acts as the access point to a small branchline via a reversal on my layout; this allows additional freight operations as short freights will arrive from the mainline a smaller loco will drop onto the rear and take the train up the branch and then the reverse happens later on. The mainline loco is serviced during this time.

Most passenger trains are short suburban or branchline ones, apart from a portion of a daily express and a portion of a sleeper service. Summer Saturdays may see additional longer workings.

I’m going to have an extended go with the current track layout and see how it all works (or doesn’t). I’m also missing a few pieces of track and a few more buffers before I can finalise it.

I’ve ordered gaugemasters ballast roll which if it looks good, means I will just have to fill in the gaps and points with normal ballast. There’s also track weathering to be done and buildings to assemble.

11CCA286-0F1F-411F-922D-9F8543DE42BE.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Well my baseboards have arrived so it was rude not to have a bit of a tinker. The baseboard still need screwing together to properly allign them, but all the legs are finished.

I’ve dropped the L shape baseboards and gone for a 12ft straight line instead. The curve of the L was making things more complicated while not adding too much additional benefit.

What you can see is a rough version of my track plan. There will be 3 platforms, one of which will also act as a parcels platform. There will then be one goods siding and a military siding, with the military depot spilling onto my layout a little. I’ve managed to incorporate a small engine shed and loco stabling siding.

Station operation is shunt release, which saves space and appears to be prototypical. As well as being a small terminus my layout acts as the access point to a small branchline via a reversal on my layout; this allows additional freight operations as short freights will arrive from the mainline a smaller loco will drop onto the rear and take the train up the branch and then the reverse happens later on. The mainline loco is serviced during this time.

Most passenger trains are short suburban or branchline ones, apart from a portion of a daily express and a portion of a sleeper service. Summer Saturdays may see additional longer workings.

I’m going to have an extended go with the current track layout and see how it all works (or doesn’t). I’m also missing a few pieces of track and a few more buffers before I can finalise it.

I’ve ordered gaugemasters ballast roll which if it looks good, means I will just have to fill in the gaps and points with normal ballast. There’s also track weathering to be done and buildings to assemble.

View attachment 82186View attachment 82187View attachment 82188
Looking good! That trackplan looks as though you'll be able to do quite a bit with it and the fleet you've got looks brilliant as well. Is the layout going to be a heritage railway? And is that DMU a Class 101, and if so, is it any good?

-Peter

Spartacus

Established Member
I’m rather tempted to go down the DCC route with a garden layout in ‘OO’, even if it’s initially just ‘planks’ between spiked posts in the flower beds, with DCC being useful for a banker given the incline! :smile::lol:

Iskra

Established Member
Looking good! That trackplan looks as though you'll be able to do quite a bit with it and the fleet you've got looks brilliant as well. Is the layout going to be a heritage railway? And is that DMU a Class 101, and if so, is it any good?

-Peter

I can see why you think that, but no it's going to be a fictional Scottish secondary coastal terminus close to the central belt sometime between 1956 and 1967. This allows me to run LNER, LMS and BR stock which are my favourites in a prototypical environment and many of my favourite locomotive types. It also allows for both steam and diesel as I'm indecisive!

The 101 is an older Bachmann model but it runs well, has lighting, sound etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the coupling between the units.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can see why you think that, but no it's going to be a fictional Scottish secondary coastal terminus close to the central belt sometime between 1956 and 1967. This allows me to run LNER, LMS and BR stock which are my favourites in a prototypical environment and many of my favourite locomotive types. It also allows for both steam and diesel as I'm indecisive!

The 101 is an older Bachmann model but it runs well, has lighting, sound etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is the coupling between the units.
I’ve been away for a couple of days but it looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Peter C

Established Member

Ah OK. Sounds like a really good plan! A combination of all of those types of stock will definitely make for an interesting layout.
I ask about the 101 as I'm planning on getting some sort of short multiple unit for my layout and that looks to be a good option. That or a 117 (there's one at the GWSR which I've been on several times) :D

Sorry Peter I missed this post somehow but thanks for that.
I’ve got a bit further this evening and it’s starting to come together now. I still don’t know how I’m going to do everything but hopefully it’ll work itself out as I go along!
View attachment 81944View attachment 81945View attachment 81946
Apologies for such a random post, but I was looking through www.hondawanderer.com and thought of this, searched for Eggesford, and found this: http://www.hondawanderer.com/Eggesford_Station_1990.htm
I don't know how much of a guide/help it would be for your layout @Cowley , but I thought it was quite a good photo. :)

-Peter

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks @Peter C that’s a great photo and shows some useful little bits of the station that I hadn’t noticed before.
I’m going to start painting the buildings next week and I’ll post a couple of photos once I’ve got a bit more done.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks @Peter C that’s a great photo and shows some useful little bits of the station that I hadn’t noticed before.
I’m going to start painting the buildings next week and I’ll post a couple of photos once I’ve got a bit more done.
Sounds great - I look forward to seeing what you get done! :D

-Peter

Acc3lerat1on

The hardest part for me is finding the correct stock. I want something modern but basically all I can find are steam trains and BR stuff.

Acc3lerat1on

I'm looking online or in the local model shop (before lockdown). Anything modern. I'm not doing a recreation or anything, just a loop with a few sidings. I have a 390, Northern 142, BR HST and a 08. I don't care where it is from.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm looking online or in the local model shop (before lockdown). Anything modern. I'm not doing a recreation or anything, just a loop with a few sidings. I have a 390, Northern 142, BR HST and a 08. I don't care where it is from.

It depends exactly what you’re after but Bachmann do 158’s, Hornby 156’s, Bachmann 150’s, Hornby do GWR 80X’s, realtrack do some modern units. Dapol do 68’s. Plenty of cheap 66’s around too.

Acc3lerat1on

It depends exactly what you’re after but Bachmann do 158’s, Hornby 156’s, Bachmann 150’s, Hornby do GWR 80X’s, realtrack do some modern units. Dapol do 68’s. Plenty of cheap 66’s around too.
Thanks! That really helps.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks! That really helps.
I'd reccomend having a look around for Hornby's GWR HST - the RailRoad version. There are some places selling them for less than £100 for the two powercars. They're an old tooling but they should do the job :)
Another great model is the Hornby Class 50 - plenty of detailing and now they've made a TTS decoder for it, it's even better!

-Peter

Acc3lerat1on

I'd reccomend having a look around for Hornby's GWR HST - the RailRoad version. There are some places selling them for less than £100 for the two powercars. They're an old tooling but they should do the job :)
Another great model is the Hornby Class 50 - plenty of detailing and now they've made a TTS decoder for it, it's even better!

-Peter
Thanks! :D

Acc3lerat1on

I have a HST that is almost as old as the real deal. I got two power cars, a first class mk3, a standard class mk3 and an old controller for only £20! :) All it needed was a dusting and a clean and it works like new!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have a HST that is almost as old as the real deal. I got two power cars, a first class mk3, a standard class mk3 and an old controller for only £20! :) All it needed was a dusting and a clean and it works like new!
WD contact cleaner. That’s what you want:

Amazing stuff for old motors. I’ve got things working with a squirt of that that you wouldn’t believe...

MotCO

Established Member

Amazing stuff for old motors. I’ve got things working with a squirt of that that you wouldn’t believe...

I have an HST dating from the mid-90s, and it seems to be running at 1/3rd speed - I suspect the commutator is only operating on one segment instead of all three. Will the WD contact cleaner repair this or do you think it is more serious?

Acc3lerat1on

Thank you :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have an HST dating from the mid-90s, and it seems to be running at 1/3rd speed - I suspect the commutator is only operating on one segment instead of all three. Will the WD contact cleaner repair this or do you think it is more serious?
I’d love to get my hands on that... ;)
I mean the thing is that they’re very basic machines, and a can of contact cleaner will certainly do the job as long as everything else is in reasonable order.
They’re very simple to strip down and service compared to something modern.
@MotCO - Are you confident enough to have a look at the brushes and springs and maybe post a photo or two to see how worn they are?

Red Onion

I’m in the process of designing a layout in N. It’s not a recreation of anywhere in specific but the track plan of the main station is loosely based on Keith, with the addition of two additional extended through platforms and goods yard in the full operation. There’s also space for a second and potentially third smaller halt-type stations further round. Other plans include a rail served fuel farm, rail served warehouse or brewery and engineer’s sidings/depot. Also toying with a small traction base or carriage sidings but all space dependent, I don’t want to add too much as this is my first layout and a previous design was just too ambitious so I gave up and lost motivation!

I don’t believe in being tied to any particular region/era so I’ll just run what I like but I currently have in stock:

Class 08 in grey, class 159 in Network South East (it’s about 25 years old!), class 158 in modern Scotrail, 2 170s (one in First Scotrail and one in modern), 67s in Caledonian Sleeper (with an order for mk5 from revolution) and white DB for the company train, 68s in DRS compass, Scotrail and TPE (again, mk5 on order), 142 in Northern Spirit, 220s in Virgin and CrossCountry, 47 in Porterbrook, 37 in Colas, 66 Freightliner, and even a Kato Budd RDC pair.

I've a few bits on order including the nuclear flasks from Revolution and I’m away to order the Caroline inspection saloon. I do need some coaching and freight stock but it’ll come in time. I would love to see the APT-E see the light of day!

Just need to start building the baseboards now...

MotCO

Established Member
I’d love to get my hands on that... ;)

@MotCO - Are you confident enough to have a look at the brushes and springs and maybe post a photo or two to see how worn they are?

Hands off :D :D. I've also got a tank engine which is almost 60 years old - it's running like a dream since I serviced it.

Yes, I have taken the engine to bits. I've cleaned the commutator, and tried to clean between the segments. I've changed the brushes and springs. It only goes if I help to spin the cogs, which implies the coil and commutator need to be correctly aligned in one spot, which is why I think the commutator is only operating on one segment.

I've also got one of the early Hornby/Jouef Eurostars, but the tyres have worn and I can't get any replacements. As a result it does not grip the track. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could do to make it run properly?

malc-c

I'm sure I posted a video update in this thread the other day.... can't see it now and haven't received a notification of it being removed for any reason...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure I posted a video update in this thread the other day.... can't see it now and haven't received a notification of it being removed for any reason...

It’s here isn’t it malc?
You started a thread on it (which I enjoyed watching by the way).

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I have a Lima one from about the same era. It ran quite erratically at first with the headlights flickering, my grandad tried WD40 on part of the motor (too young to recall what) and to this day it runs perfectly if a little noisily.

Status
Not open for further replies.