• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have a Lima one from about the same era. It ran quite erratically at first with the headlights flickering, my grandad tried WD40 on part of the motor (too young to recall what) and to this day it runs perfectly if a little noisily.
I’ve found with all of these old models that a little bit of lubrication and a can of electrical switch cleaner works absolute wonders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’ve found with all of these old models that a little bit of lubrication and a can of electrical switch cleaner works absolute wonders.

Quite, the older and simpler the electrics the more brutal one can often be! ;)

Saying that I have a Hornby shunter (can't recall the class it's either 08 or 09) which must be from about the 1980s if not earlier. The wheels are very coarse on the flanges to the point it won't take modern points too well, so a re-wheeling may be in order, the electrics are okay asides from the odd blue flash over points because of flange contact.

MotCO

Established Member

I've now used some electrical switch cleaner, and it hasn't made any difference. It still will not start unless I spin the cogwheels, and still only goes at about one-third of usual speed. Any ideas what could be wrong and how to correct it?

Peter C

Established Member
I've now used some electrical switch cleaner, and it hasn't made any difference. It still will not start unless I spin the cogwheels, and still only goes at about one-third of usual speed. Any ideas what could be wrong and how to correct it?
I know very little about these things, but have you tried a complete tear-down, clean, and re-assemble of the motor? The commutator can apparently get all filled up with gunk (technical term) after a while and that might affect performance (?). But I'm probably talking absolute rubbish! :D

-Peter

MotCO

Established Member
I know very little about these things, but have you tried a complete tear-down, clean, and re-assemble of the motor? The commutator can apparently get all filled up with gunk (technical term) after a while and that might affect performance (?). But I'm probably talking absolute rubbish! :D

-Peter

Thanks, but I've stripped it down already (unless I have inadvertently made it worse :frown:)

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks, but I've stripped it down already (unless I have inadvertently made it worse :frown:)
Ah OK - I've found in the past, if you've taken an engine apart, and then put it back together as it was, there's very little you can do to make it go wrong. That narrows it down somewhat but I can't think of anything else it could be - sorry! I'll have a look on the interwebs and see what I can find.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve forgotten now but is this a Hornby or a Lima one?
Would you be able to post a couple of photos when you get a chance?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member

Might be worth checking the pickups. Are they clean? Is there good contact with the wheels?

Finally got around to cleaning my track and loco wheels this afternoon. I used Track Magic for the first time. I’d seen a lot of decent reviews but was wondering whether the price tag was worth it. I sprung for a bottle and I have to say I’m impressed. Lifted more dirt than I’d realised was there from the track and gave the loco wheel sets a good going over too. Much smoother running now, particularly for my Bachmann 37 which had become a tad stuttery over points.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member

I used to run a large fleet of Triang, Older Hornby and Wrenn / Dublo. Slowness was often caused by weakened magnets. Wrenn / Dublo were the worst, but the simple Hornby-Triang motor square magnets also became weak if shorted. New magnets or re-magnetising was needed.

Never seen it on a ringfield, but it could have previously had an incident that caused it. btw, I have a 1990's class 58 like that, very slow despite little use!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve been helping my friend Paul with his N gauge railway today.
The plan was to show it this year but obviously that’s gone out of the window so it’ll be next year now, but then at least it gives us a bit more time to prepare.
This is a photo of the Exeter end tunnel mouth which will need more snow adding above the portal and also between the rails, on the platform etc. Getting there though.
E4ABBEDF-9DC7-4FA4-BD4B-8205B25C52D7.jpeg

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The plan was to show it this year but obviously that’s gone out of the window so it’ll be next year now, but then at least it gives us a bit more time to prepare.
This is a photo of the Exeter end tunnel mouth which will need more snow adding above the portal and also between the rails, on the platform etc. Getting there though.
View attachment 83695

Very nice indeed. Really like the brickwork on the tunnel entrance.

Peter C

Established Member
View attachment 83695
Looks really good - I like that panel for signal sighting behind the semaphore: there's an example of one of those panels still left on the roadbridge at Charlbury on my local Cotswold Line.
What's used for the snow? I've thought about putting some snow on parts of my layout near Christmas but couldn't think of a suitable material. It'd need to be easily removable though :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ll show him your comments guys, I’m sure he’ll really appreciate it.
Because it’s his baby I don’t want to post lots of pictures of it until it’s finished but I think it’ll be really good and a little bit different...

I’ve not been up to much apart from tinkering around with my N gauge Eggesford recently. This is where I’m up to at the moment:
3327EFA3-327A-4E37-8693-614B64A532ED.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever made anything so complicated in my entire life!
Still lots to do but I’m starting to get there.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Because it’s his baby I don’t want to post lots of pictures of it until it’s finished but I think it’ll be really good and a little bit different...

I’ve not been up to much apart from tinkering around with my N gauge Eggesford recently. This is where I’m up to at the moment:
View attachment 83710

That looks really good. I love the detail - the windows in particular look great.

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 83710

Wow, I don't think I have the patience to be able to do that or probably a steady enough hand!

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 83710

I'm loving the look of that so far - that wooden lean-to definitely looks the part as a small, worn shed (assuming that's what you're going for), with the visible lines between wooden planks and then the fact that they aren't all straight. The main part of the building looks fantastic as well - I wouldn't be able to do something like that in 00, let alone N Gauge! :D

-Peter

birchesgreen

Established Member
I restarted my model railway hobby about 7 years ago. I model Central European HOe narrow gauge. I don't really have much space for a big layout but have managed to pack quite a bit into the board. Here is a photo of it, which is called Birches Green.

EfCpeoHWsAA6uvY (1).jpegEfCpeoHWsAA6uvY (1).jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
I restarted my model railway hobby about 7 years ago. I model Central European HOe narrow gauge. I don't really have much space for a big layout but have managed to pack quite a bit into the board. Here is a photo of it, which is called Birches Green.

View attachment 83743View attachment 83743
That looks to be a nice little layout. I'm not very interested in continental models, but I find some of the differences between the UK and European railways interesting, such as stock and platforms. :) I'd be interested to see what other bits of the layout look like!

-Peter

EDIT: I've also just realised that the engine there has coupling rods of some sort - a very interesting design if so. What kind of engine is it, if you don't mind me asking?

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well i do have a Crompton, though a Lima HO one! One major thing to note about Continental modelling is the greater cost, you guys moaning about how much your UK stock costs had best not ask how much my locos cost me. :lol: Ebr8YRvX0AAhDcg (1).jpegEbr8YRvX0AAhDcg (1).jpeg

Peter C

Established Member
Well i do have a Crompton, though a Lima HO one! One major thing to note about Continental modelling is the greater cost, you guys moaning about how much your UK stock costs had best not ask how much my locos cost me. :lol: View attachment 83745View attachment 83745
I've heard quite a bit about the Lima Class 33 in HO gauge. If Continental modelling is more expensive than 00, that definitely means it's not viable for me! :D That bridge looks good with those posters.

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 83695

Very nice, forms and excellent "scenic break".

View attachment 83743View attachment 83743

Reminds me of the Austrian narrow guage lines, saw a good one based on the Zillerbahn at the SECC in February.

I also have a question, does anyone else seek to model accurately to the point of attempting to model both accurate train formations and using real life working timetables either as a basis or near enough as is? Or do people just model what they feel 'looks right' or what they like?

For my layout project I've obtained a considerable amount of "paper data", books and timetables to enable prototypical operation but over the last few weeks it's become apparent that even on the likes of layouts you see in the various magazines and at exhibitions, I may actually be in a minority?

Peter C

Established Member
I also have a question, does anyone else seek to model accurately to the point of attempting to model both accurate train formations and using real life working timetables either as a basis or near enough as is? Or do people just model what they feel 'looks right' or what they like?

For my layout project I've obtained a considerable amount of "paper data", books and timetables to enable prototypical operation but over the last few weeks it's become apparent that even on the likes of layouts you see in the various magazines and at exhibitions, I may actually be in a minority?
I use Rule 1 of model railways a lot - I run what I want, when I want: this might be a GWR Hall on Blue and Grey Mk1s and a couple of LNER Teaks, or it may be something prototypical. I have two or three coaching or freight consists set up on the layout most days so I'll normally just run those - at the moment it's Mk2s and box vans. If I see a photo of an interesting service and I have the right stock to recreate it, I'll have a go at that.
I've tried to make timetables for my layout but to no avail. I always get really confused a few services in!

-Peter :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I use Rule 1 of model railways a lot - I run what I want, when I want: this might be a GWR Hall on Blue and Grey Mk1s and a couple of LNER Teaks, or it may be something prototypical. I have two or three coaching or freight consists set up on the layout most days so I'll normally just run those - at the moment it's Mk2s and box vans. If I see a photo of an interesting service and I have the right stock to recreate it, I'll have a go at that.
I've tried to make timetables for my layout but to no avail. I always get really confused a few services in!

-Peter :)

I don't have any issues with people using Rule 1, indeed I will apply it myself slightly to allow certain stock to run that I can't bear to get rid of but for the most part I wasn't to run something to represent real life even of it tweak it slightly to suit.

I find often that looking at working timetables or rolling stock books can often provide both inspiration and a little order to one's chaos!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t run a timetable, but I probably could if I wanted to as I’ve got most of the prototypical stock for the line in the era I’m doing.
I suppose I do run a bit of a sequence of trains at times which go in the correct order of what used to happen, but generally I just like knocking up whatever I feel like. :)

@birchesgreen - Really liking your continental stuff.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don’t run a timetable, but I probably could if I wanted to as I’ve got most of the prototypical stock for the line in the era I’m doing.
I suppose I do run a bit of a sequence of trains at times which go in the correct order of what used to happen, but generally I just like knocking up whatever I feel like. :)

I have thought about simply running a sequence, indeed any 'timetable' would be condensed into a few hours anyway.

I have been told I'm a bit of a perfectionist with an eye for detail, so perhaps I am striving for too much reality! ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have thought about simply running a sequence, indeed any 'timetable' would be condensed into a few hours anyway.

I have been told I'm a bit of a perfectionist with an eye for detail, so perhaps I am striving for too much reality! ;)
Ah if it feels right and you enjoy it then it’s fine I reckon.
Hey if you end up doing something Irish from the 80s you could do it in real time and just run three trains in each direction each day. :lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I suppose it depends what you want to do with a layout. Is it a home project that won't move outside its four walls, or are you planning to exhibit it? At home it doesn't matter if you stick to a strict, prototypical, timetable because the audience is mostly going to be you. If you're planning to show it to the world, you have to bear in mind that Joe Public gets bored very easily and will move onto the next layout very quickly. You'll get the odd rivet-counter who looks for total accuracy in everything that you do (and will pull you up for it if you get the slightest detail wrong!). I suppose that's one of the reasons why many people use a fictitious location rather than trying to model a real place.

My former club (I'm not sure it's still around any more) had a layout called "Invermoray". It was a terminus that was loosely based on Inverness, including the depot, and ran mostly "modern image" stock of the day. The stock line-up may not have been entirely accurate, but we constantly had trains moving and the layout was awarded the Scotrail Cup at Modelrail Scotland on at least one occasion.

Ultimately it's your railway and you should do what gives you the most pleasure. I do admit that I have gone into cringe mode when I've seen the likes of Peter Snow with his HST power cars pulling non-HST stock, but it's his railway and it obviously makes him happy.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ah if it feels right and you enjoy it then it’s fine I reckon.
Hey if you end up doing something Irish from the 80s you could do it in real time and just run three trains in each direction each day. :lol:

Actually by the 1980s they'd recovered a bit from the severe cuts of 1975. And my plan is to model a double track mainline, somewhere near the Curragh scenically suits a representation of the Scottish Central as well.

If anything I should be grateful not to model 1973, the frequencies under that timetable was unmatched again until about 2007 on some routes!

I suppose it depends what you want to do with a layout. Is it a home project that won't move outside its four walls, or are you planning to exhibit it? At home it doesn't matter if you stick to a strict, prototypical, timetable because the audience is mostly going to be you. If you're planning to show it to the world, you have to bear in mind that Joe Public gets bored very easily and will move onto the next layout very quickly. You'll get the odd rivet-counter who looks for total accuracy in everything that you do (and will pull you up for it if you get the slightest detail wrong!). I suppose that's one of the reasons why many people use a fictitious location rather than trying to model a real place.

My former club (I'm not sure it's still around any more) had a layout called "Invermoray". It was a terminus that was loosely based on Inverness, including the depot, and ran mostly "modern image" stock of the day. The stock line-up may not have been entirely accurate, but we constantly had trains moving and the layout was awarded the Scotrail Cup at Modelrail Scotland on at least one occasion.

Ultimately it's your railway and you should do what gives you the most pleasure. I do admit that I have gone into cringe mode when I've seen the likes of Peter Snow with his HST power cars pulling non-HST stock, but it's his railway and it obviously makes him happy.

While I think I might enjoy exhibiting in, that wouldn't happen in practice for a number if reasons, so yes it is mainly for myself. I actually find modelling accurately more pleasurable than not, I find the little things irk a me bit I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.