• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well, after many months if essentially "paperwork modelling" I've finally obtained some new rolling stock.

Having trouble getting the pictures to upload, so I'll try that tomorrow along with an explanation of what I'm aiming to do with the coaches detailing-wise.

How's everybody else getting on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Well, after many months if essentially "paperwork modelling" I've finally obtained some new rolling stock.

Having trouble getting the pictures to upload, so I'll try that tomorrow along with an explanation of what I'm aiming to do with the coaches detailing-wise.

I look forward to seeing what you can do!
I've not got anything done on my layout recently due to far too many other tasks and things, but hopefully I can get somewhere in the next few weeks. Trains haven't run in at least a fortnight and the Class 423 hasn't moved at all in several weeks, maybe over a month as it's on the hard-to-reach side of the layout! :D

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well I’ve done pretty much naff all recently apart from cleaning the wheels on my locos and wiring my new controller up (which is rather nice I must say).
Had to cancel N gauge Tuesday this evening due to a severe outbreak of Manfluvirus (I haven’t got COVID don’t worry), so hopefully normal service will be resumed next week (oh I made some trees for a friend too).

Somewhat intrigued by your plans though Hexagon.
If you want to pm me your photos I could probably upload them somehow..?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I look forward to seeing what you can do!
I've not got anything done on my layout recently due to far too many other tasks and things, but hopefully I can get somewhere in the next few weeks. Trains haven't run in at least a fortnight and the Class 423 hasn't moved at all in several weeks, maybe over a month as it's on the hard-to-reach side of the layout! :D

-Peter

Thanks.

Yeah, been like that myself, other things either take over or I'm just involved in what I call "paperwork modelling" - essentially the planning.

I haven't done anything with the new acquisitions yet if I can get the photos to upload I'll explain what I plan to do.

Well I’ve done pretty much naff all recently apart from cleaning the wheels on my locos and wiring my new controller up (which is rather nice I must say).

That's more 'physical' modelling than I've accomplished! ;)

Somewhat intrigued by your plans though Hexagon.
If you want to pm me your phot

The forum says they are too large to upload, so I'm not sure that would work either.

I'm trying a workaround, otherwise I'll just use the illustrative photos from the order instead of my own ones.

reddragon

Established Member
I've now fully converted the 4 main lines to DCC on the Roco Z21 with end capacitors, with just the 2 suburban lines on DC for my remaining DC stock. Looks like I'll get a good price for my nearly new Hornby Elite on eBay though!

I am upgrading the loft with rafter insulation (40% done) and better flooring (50% done). Another batch of materials due tomorrow to carry on. I hope to have this mostly completed before Christmas.

This month I have extended the track base by 5m and laid tracks on some of it. Its my hilly scenic area, with the main line cut into a hillside. My son wants me to include a landslide. I said no.

A few more locos DCC converted and of course a batch went to Peter, but I still have 14 on DC, some of which will end up on eBay.

Plenty of new stock though, a full GWR Castle set on TTS; a 4-VEP; a 2-BIL on order and finally sourced the 3 centre cars for my Brighton Belle.

My October plan is to complete the flooring, knock down some brickwork that's in the way and complete plenty of insulation. I'm also doing shelving to clear the floor space. Railway wise, I plan to extend left from the main station, creating some serious siding space and to extend the loco depot through where there is a wall in the way now. Getting Peco stuff at a good price is an issue though.

I'm a long way off doing scenery though so nowt pretty!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've now fully converted the 4 main lines to DCC on the Roco Z21 with end capacitors, with just the 2 suburban lines on DC for my remaining DC stock. Looks like I'll get a good price for my nearly new Hornby Elite on eBay though!

I am upgrading the loft with rafter insulation (40% done) and better flooring (50% done). Another batch of materials due tomorrow to carry on. I hope to have this mostly completed before Christmas.

This month I have extended the track base by 5m and laid tracks on some of it. Its my hilly scenic area, with the main line cut into a hillside. My son wants me to include a landslide. I said no.

A few more locos DCC converted and of course a batch went to Peter, but I still have 14 on DC, some of which will end up on eBay.

Plenty of new stock though, a full GWR Castle set on TTS; a 4-VEP; a 2-BIL on order and finally sourced the 3 centre cars for my Brighton Belle.

My October plan is to complete the flooring, knock down some brickwork that's in the way and complete plenty of insulation. I'm also doing shelving to clear the floor space. Railway wise, I plan to extend left from the main station, creating some serious siding space and to extend the loco depot through where there is a wall in the way now. Getting Peco stuff at a good price is an issue though.

I'm a long way off doing scenery though so nowt pretty!

Sounds like you've plenty to keep busy with! ;)

I'd like to see your "hilly scenic area", I'm planning to incorporate something along those lines myself

reddragon

Established Member
Sounds like you've plenty to keep busy with! ;)

I'd like to see your "hilly scenic area", I'm planning to incorporate something along those lines myself

I laid the base about 6" low, then on top cut a curved board for the track level alignment, enough for a scale DD bus to drive under and behind I'll construct a hill side. There will be a localised cutting, some rocks etc, a bridge or 2 and a water feature. It will lead to a 4 track version of Arten Gill viaduct.

Of course having never done something like this before . .. . the outcome might not be top notch!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Of course having never done something like this before . .. . the outcome might not be top notch!

People say that all the time on modelling forums, and I still end up impressed by what they achieve. We all have different strengths and abilities as far as I'm concerned so I would never knock anyone's layout when they've obviously put a good deal of effort in.

Besides, I'm not sure I could do any better that the average modeller anyway and I've no intention of adopting a hypocritical attitude in that respect either!

I may be a bit of a detail perfectionist but as long as what I produce is passable to my eyes I'll be satisfied.

malc-c

Does that matter ? - Provided you are happy with the results that is all that matters. Who are we to judge others ability, especially when it comes to modelling. The main factor is to have fun doing it, and pleasure the final results give you.

I've not done any more to my layout since the post several pages back. Money (the lack of), illness and a few other things simply mean that I've not had the inclination to do the next steps...I have some ideas, and when they turn into practice then so long as I'm happy with the result that is all that matters.

malc-c

Take any hobby and you will always have variation across a wide range of disciplines. In railway modelling it can be from those running old Hornby train sets on a table top with no scenic work, to large scale real steam locos that are exact true scale and precision machines, with anything in between. There will be those who run their layouts to real timetables with rolling stock that is exact for the period modeled, and there will be those who just like to run whatever they fancy, with 800's / 66's running alongside the rocket... None of it matters... it's giving the owner pleasure and fun and that is all that matters....

Iskra

Established Member
I've finalised my baseboard construction- levelled them out, affixed them together and repositioned them in the room. I've semi-finalised my trackplan and realised that what I've created is essentially a condensed version of Fort William, but I'm happy with that; having a good test using my rolling stock was really important to iron out operational kinks. Some brown paint has arrived today so I will be painting my baseboards very soon. I won't be able to do too much more until my ballasted underlay roll arrives, apart from track weathering.

malc-c

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a couple of years back and it's been a struggle getting back into the swing of things, even hobbies that you used to spend every spare moment of free time participating in fell by the wayside. This is one reason why progress on my layout has been slow... but every now and again I seem to find that motivation and move it along a little....

Such an burst of motivation came to me this weekend....

OK, its early days yet, and there is still a fair amount to do, but its a start....

Iskra

Established Member
I was diagnosed with clinical depression a couple of years back and it's been a struggle getting back into the swing of things, even hobbies that you used to spend every spare moment of free time participating in fell by the wayside. This is one reason why progress on my layout has been slow... but every now and again I seem to find that motivation and move it along a little....

OK, its early days yet, and there is still a fair amount to do, but its a start....

That’s really great that you’ve progressed with the layout. I admire your methodological approach to your build! I’d be so much more gung-ho with it.

I managed to apply two layers of paint to my boards over the last couple of days :) Really need my Gaugemaster ballast underlay roll to turn up now. In the meantime it will be track weathering time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Good to see you doing something you enjoy malc. It can be very relaxing and good for the soul getting lost in something like that.

BrettSy96

One project I’ve had on the go for a while now is to have all 31 class 91 locomotives in 00 gauge, currently on 24!

reddragon

Established Member
Today I finally finished converting all of my multiple units to DCC. Only my Hornby class 110 survives from my old layout, the rest had to go.

What I have learnt is only buy DCC ready DMU/EMUs. The old Hornby / Bachmann ones has cost me dear to convert. The class 220 required 3 chips, rewiring and complex programming, cost me more than buying it grr. . . .

One project I’ve had on the go for a while now is to have all 31 class 91 locomotives in 00 gauge, currently on 24!

That's worth a line up photo!

Last edited:

BrettSy96

Today I finally finished converting all of my multiple units to DCC. Only my Hornby class 110 survives from my old layout, the rest had to go.

What I have learnt is only buy DCC ready DMU/EMUs. The old Hornby / Bachmann ones has cost me dear to convert. The class 220 required 3 chips, rewiring and complex programming, cost me more than buying it grr. . . .

You may get one once I’ve got all 31!:lol:

reddragon

Established Member
Received a huge batch of Peco points from ebay today to start the western extension of the railway from my main station. 2.4m board laid and just needs preparing :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member

A very high quality "start" though, got a nice calm feel to it with the greenery.

Wow, I mean they are my favourite electric loco, but wow! That's commitment to realism there! ;)

Definitely.

I did once think of collecting all of the Class 08's . . . . . . . .

Flamin' Nora, and I thought I was bad for once considering a full fleet of Irish Rail Park Royals, Cravens, Mk2Ds and Mk3s as per 1986/7 fleet and the same for ScotRail before rapidly realising I had to be more sensible with £££! ;)

That’s my next project!

:lol::lol::lol:

No more acquisitions myself, other than some reference material and at the same time I had a clear out of 17 books and 15 magazines trying to clear the old bookshelves a bit!

Going to try my photos again, see if they work this time! Probably still too large :rolleyes:

Ladder23

Established Member
I have always wanted to, I just don't know where to start

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have always wanted to, I just don't know where to start

Start small and be realistic would be my advice. For a first go don't try to do too much I think, because I've been guilty of wanting too much, you have to try and figure out the limitations of your space and match that to what you want in essence.

Not easy, but I've settled on doing without a station on my layout so I can have a larger scenic area - effectively trains passing through countryside. Though I plan to have some bits and pieces of decoration, maybe a stream, road bridge things of that nature.

It'd going to be more of a stock showcase but that suits me.

Ladder23

Established Member
Start small and be realistic would be my advice. For a first go don't try to do too much I think, because I've been guilty of wanting too much, you have to try and figure out the limitations of your space and match that to what you want in essence.

Not easy, but I've settled on doing without a station on my layout so I can have a larger scenic area - effectively trains passing through countryside. Though I plan to have some bits and pieces of decoration, maybe a stream, road bridge things of that nature.

It'd going to be more of a stock showcase but that suits me.
funny you say that, as I have often wanted to make/ build a siding scene. So not even functional, just a show piece. I imagine in time I would want a functional railway though so the idea could be a waste.

I am limited for space, however I have a clear loft space which would work well

Established Member
funny you say that, as I have often wanted to make/ build a siding scene. So not even functional, just a show piece. I imagine in time I would want a functional railway though so the idea could be a waste.

I am limited for space, however I have a clear loft space which would work well
You could look at making a combination of siding scene/functional railway. Say a mainline/branch with some redundant sidings which use to join to the running lines.

Ladder23

Established Member
You could look at making a combination of siding scene/functional railway. Say a mainline/branch with some redundant sidings which use to join to the running lines.
Cracking idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.