• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Getting Peco track is the biggest issue. Peco shut over lockdown 1, then re-opened but an attack on their IT system crashed all orders & supplies for a few weeks and now I understand they've had a COVID outbreak and have had to shut again!
I heard about people having issues with obtaining Peco track during lockdown; I use Hornby track so I was alright but lots of people ended up using other manufacturers than their usual Peco track sections.
They really don't seem to have had much luck during this year! I believe I heard they are taking orders by phone, but I can't confirm that.

I wish everyone at Peco the best in getting through this lockdown and the rest of 2020! :)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
An update on my railway: -

I've managed to get everything done I planned over half term, in particular wall demolition and starting the viaduct.

This is the view of my railway minus the wall giving an extra 3m of sightline
View attachment 85395View attachment 85396

The viaduct.

The site base boards are in and the curved viaduct base for the 4 tracks is cut and in place. It will allow me a 1.2m long viaduct with 4 spans of Arten Gill proportions. The span will be between the rafters.

View attachment 85397

My next task is are the 5 sets of cross-braces, a base for ground level then the 2 curved arch sides.
Very nice. I'm sure the viaduct across the end will look good once it is complete.

The layout I’m building is in early stages. I built the Metcalfe viaduct first which is still due for a few modifications then I’ve built the first length of the layout so that the viaduct drops down into it and it fits in snugly. The hillside is formed with thin plywood formers overlaid with aluminium mesh then a couple of coats of plaster which I can sand down to take out the lumps and bumps. The image shows the viaduct dropped into place temporarily just to check it all fits. There will be much landscaping, buildings, track etc to do over the winter.
The layout is based very loosely on Howling which features in ‘Cold Comfort Farm’ by Stella Gibbons. Watch this space!
Very nice start. That viaduct looks spot on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Like it @reddragon. I’ve only just got in after a nice evening playing trains so I’ll reply properly tomorrow. :)

Iskra

Established Member
F9104561-363E-4C37-9FD4-01044EA7D6C9.jpeg
Starting to look a bit more like a model railway now. Still lots to be done of course.

Iskra

Established Member
Always interesting to see peoples' progress.

That photo has also just made me notice how the early BR railbuses sit quite low in relation to other stock.

Yeah, I can’t imagine they had great crash worthiness!

Phwoar. Look at that fuelling point! Very nice.

Thanks, Bachmann scenecraft, also available in N ;) It’s just the right size installation for my little shed.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
IMG_20200808_160633622.jpg
Why do I feel like they might still fare better than a Pacer? ;)
IMG_20200808_160633622.jpg
This is Charmouth on the Dorchester - Bridport- Axminster line. The M7 is original 1970 whereas the 700 was a retirement present. The Mk1s are even older. ATM waiting for the control panel I ordered before lockdown before I start ballasting...

Iskra

Established Member
View attachment 85523View attachment 85523
This is Charmouth on the Dorchester - Bridport- Axminster line. The M7 is original 1970 whereas the 700 was a retirement present. The Mk1s are even older. ATM waiting for the control panel I ordered before lockdown before I start ballasting...

A nice selection of stock you have there, I'm looking forward to watching things develop. Your stock is looking good for its age!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
20201107_123737.jpg20201107_122059.jpg20201107_122033.jpg20201107_121838.jpg

Decided to give the n gauge a run today. Working OK once I gave the track a clean. As you can see I've got a bit of a late 80s theme. Still haven't gotten anywhere with the theory but still deciding whether to expand or start again due to the usual problem of more trains than layout :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
View attachment 85561View attachment 85562View attachment 85563View attachment 85564

Decided to give the n gauge a run today. Working OK once I gave the track a clean. As you can see I've got a bit of a late 80s theme. Still haven't gotten anywhere with the theory but still deciding whether to expand or start again due to the usual problem of more trains than layout :lol:
Very nice. I’ve got that problem too Matt.
Some kind of bigger fiddle yard is currently being planned...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
View attachment 85523View attachment 85523

Like the different liveries on the stock, very typical of the period. I remember once seeing a photo of a train with Mk1s in Blood & Custard, Maroon and one each in WR Chocolate & Cream and SR green.

View attachment 85561View attachment 85562View attachment 85563View attachment 85564

Similar period to myself, though I remain torn between any year of 1984-1987 really rather than one specifically.

Veteran Member
Like the different liveries on the stock, very typical of the period. I remember once seeing a photo of a train with Mk1s in Blood & Custard, Maroon and one each in WR Chocolate & Cream and SR green.
The BSKs either side of the Blood and Custard compo are due a retro respray when I get a dry day or 2...

A horrible wet day outdoors meant a good excuse to progress with ‘Howling’ and in particular the tunnel portal and the tunnel interior. Because the layout is going to be both portable and a section through the landscape, the tunnel can be viewed from both ends so that has meant pre-forming the track bed in plaster and making some structural ribs for the tunnel which will then be lined with plasticard then that will be ‘wallpapered’ with brick paper then for the track, ballast and weathering.
The layout is based in the late ‘50s in which the line has just been singled so I’ll just have one running line and the other will be sleepers only with the rails lifted.
I have just metaphorically downed tools and walked back to the nearest rail head to the staff canteen where Mrs 32475 has made a very refreshing pot of tea

91FFC178-4143-4BC1-9FBA-2289F5FB0E59.jpeg0E7A1A24-E39B-4464-A166-06BFA1FC0E6A.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A horrible wet day outdoors meant a good excuse to progress with ‘Howling’ and in particular the tunnel portal and the tunnel interior. Because the layout is going to be both portable and a section through the landscape, the tunnel can be viewed from both ends so that has meant pre-forming the track bed in plaster and making some structural ribs for the tunnel which will then be lined with plasticard then that will be ‘wallpapered’ with brick paper then for the track, ballast and weathering.
The layout is based in the late ‘50s in which the line has just been singled so I’ll just have one running line and the other will be sleepers only with the rails lifted.
I have just metaphorically downed tools and walked back to the nearest rail head to the staff canteen where Mrs 32475 has made a very refreshing pot of tea

View attachment 85904View attachment 85905
That looks very good. I like the disused trackbed idea.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I like the concept, there's always something atmospheric and interesting about partially abandoned and rundown railways.

I like the concept, there's always something atmospheric and interesting about partially abandoned and rundown railways.
I couldn’t agree more. For me, peeling paintwork, weed infested track and semi-dereliction are the intrinsic ingredients of railway nostalgia and atmosphere!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I couldn’t agree more. For me, peeling paintwork, weed infested track and semi-dereliction are the intrinsic ingredients of railway nostalgia and atmosphere!
I would incorporate such in my railway but the setting and nature of it doesn't readily lend itself to much beyond a vague lineside derelict scene which I may or may not bother to include, I'm undecided

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A chap called ‘Guitar‘ John that my friend Paul works with has developed a hobby making up old railway style signs and he’s really good at it.
He made me this little BR Southern Region one out of a piece of wood for the price of a bottle of wine. I’m really pleased with it as in the era I’m modelling there was a very similar sign on the ground frame for the yard which had managed to hang on into the BR blue era.
Thanks John. :)

26FCE8D1-2686-4B74-BA94-A0B5167CEA4E.jpeg

CC6FDBB2-B7DB-4E81-916D-258C3B84D4F0.jpeg

reddragon

Established Member
I have started a thread on my S&C viaduct for anyone wanting to build a similar structure.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I currently have some TPE Mk 5A coaches on order from Accurascale, and looking at this I may just have to order a 92 also. Exciting stuff.

Peter C

Established Member

That looks really good - I was originally planning a tunnel for my layout but I dropped the idea so seeing you develop this, especially with such detail already being put into the trackbed, will be very interesting indeed. The wooden panels forming rings in the tunnel (I assume for you to cover to make the tunnel walls) is an interesting way of doing it that I don't think I've seen before. :)

A chap called ‘Guitar‘ John that my friend Paul works with has developed a hobby making up old railway style signs and he’s really good at it.
He made me this little BR Southern Region one out of a piece of wood for the price of a bottle of wine. I’m really pleased with it as in the era I’m modelling there was a very similar sign on the ground frame for the yard which had managed to hang on into the BR blue era.
Thanks John. :)

View attachment 85915

View attachment 85916
I like that - I might try and make my own for my layout, maybe in First Great Western colours, like the stations on the Cotswold Line.... :)

I have started a thread on my S&C viaduct for anyone wanting to build a similar structure.

I had a look earlier this afternoon and I'm really interested to see this develop. Have you see Charlie from Chadwick Model Railway make his viaduct? His is quite a bit smaller than yours, and not on a curve, but he managed to make something really cool in the space he had. If you want to watch the videos if you haven't already, they're videos 46, 47, 53, 57, 64, 69, and 70: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChadwickModelRailway/videos

-Peter :D

reddragon

Established Member
I had a look earlier this afternoon and I'm really interested to see this develop. Have you see Charlie from Chadwick Model Railway make his viaduct? His is quite a bit smaller than yours, and not on a curve, but he managed to make something really cool in the space he had. If you want to watch the videos if you haven't already, they're videos 46, 47, 53, 57, 64, 69, and 70: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChadwickModelRailway/videos

I did look at Chadwick, but its no good for me. I have also looked in many other places without luck.

Finally last night I made some links & discoveries - but you will have to wait and see what I plan!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
That looks really good - I was originally planning a tunnel for my layout but I dropped the idea so seeing you develop this, especially with such detail already being put into the trackbed, will be very interesting indeed. The wooden panels forming rings in the tunnel (I assume for you to cover to make the tunnel walls) is an interesting way of doing it that I don't think I've seen before. :)

I like that - I might try and make my own for my layout, maybe in First Great Western colours, like the stations on the Cotswold Line.... :)

God he’s an awfully smug man. A very talented modeller nonetheless.

Peter C

Established Member
I did look at Chadwick, but its no good for me. I have also looked in many other places without luck.

Finally last night I made some links & discoveries - but you will have to wait and see what I plan!
Ah OK - sorry it couldn't help. I'm struggling to think of any other videos or similar which could help but I'll keep an eye out :)
I look forward to seeing what you've got done!
God he’s an awfully smug man. A very talented modeller nonetheless.
I can see how he can come across as that, definitely - maybe it's in the videos I linked to that he seems more smug, but I don't know. His layout does look quite good though, I agree :)

-Peter

Howling Tunnel is progressing nicely and I’ve hired some 00 Bachmann recruits to help out. The tunnel is mouth is lined and weathered using Metcalfe brick paper and Humbrol weathering powder which are excellent products. Beyond the tunnel mouth will be Howling Viaduct
236A8CEB-FA50-42DF-9B51-EDDEC96125D3.jpeg

reddragon

Established Member
I am busy doing my viaduct today - 1st arch done!

Status
Not open for further replies.