• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am busy doing my viaduct today - 1st arch done!

I am busy doing my viaduct today - 1st arch done!

I had a look at the photos in your thread; that's going to be a mightily impressive construction once it's all finished.

Really looking forward to seeing it in all its glory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meanwhile in deepest Tier 3 territory, Howling Viaduct is nearing completion and the surrounding topsoil is in position. I’ve got a supply chain problem with my turfing supplier but I’m optimistic that S. Claus & Co will be delivering some trees and hedges towards the end of the month. My team of 00 contractors have enjoyed some 1:76 scale mince pies which are great for team morale and productivity.
I built the Church of the Quivering Brethren and this has been taken over temporarily by the contractors as a site office and mess quarters.
Here are a few progress photos......

Attachments

• B9911C0C-24BB-448C-9ED2-3114BEA5142F.jpeg
    B9911C0C-24BB-448C-9ED2-3114BEA5142F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 5EA94228-E844-4D02-8CD6-0BFD5E8712A3.jpeg
    5EA94228-E844-4D02-8CD6-0BFD5E8712A3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • DE51C93B-CF8F-452C-B864-B4A79E318BA4.jpeg
    DE51C93B-CF8F-452C-B864-B4A79E318BA4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 3DEC56DE-5B63-40C7-8FEE-D1AA1161F9A3.jpeg
    3DEC56DE-5B63-40C7-8FEE-D1AA1161F9A3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Meanwhile in deepest Tier 3 territory, Howling Viaduct is nearing completion and the surrounding topsoil is in position. I’ve got a supply chain problem with my turfing supplier but I’m optimistic that S. Claus & Co will be delivering some trees and hedges towards the end of the month. My team of 00 contractors have enjoyed some 1:76 scale mince pies which are great for team morale and productivity.
I built the Church of the Quivering Brethren and this has been taken over temporarily by the contractors as a site office and mess quarters.
Here are a few progress photos......
Very nice, I particularly like the viaduct detailing - looks excellent.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I also have a question for this thread if I may, rather than opening a new thread, I've become rather taken with the idea of having a Deltic for my layout - not 100% prototypical but Rule 1 applies in this case!

I had a look online and I could find 'N' gauge and a new 'O' gauge tooling from Heljan but there seems to be no current '00' gauge offering? Or am I missing something?

If there is no current '00' gauge, does anyone know what the best most recent tooling is at all?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks. It’s a Metcalfe kit with a few minor alterations and some weathering powder and highlighting with pastel crayon
Very effective.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@hexagon789 - Bachmann do a 00 gauge Deltic, there’s this one on eBay at the moment: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224236735737

@32475 - That looks really good. Great progress.

I made myself a kind of gurney this week for my layout.
It’s now on wheels and I’ve got an extra 80cm each end of scenery to play with once I’ve made the hinged boards up.

A97A5AB4-1DFB-42CC-AC43-584A96075E7E.jpeg

Some kind of decent fiddle yard is planned too, but I’m going to take my time and plan it out properly first.

@hexagon789 - Bachmann do a 00 gauge Deltic, there’s this one on eBay at the moment: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224236735737

@32475 - That looks really good. Great progress.

It’s now on wheels and I’ve got an extra 80cm each end of scenery to play with once I’ve made the hinged boards up.

View attachment 86747

Some kind of decent fiddle yard is planned too, but I’m going to take my time and plan it out properly first.
That's looking splendid and I love the 'slice through the landscape' approach. Are you planning to extend it? The trolley base is inspiring and I'll need to make something similar for Howling which is currently supported by a Black and Decker Workmate at one end and a 78 wind up gramophone cabinet at the other!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's looking splendid and I love the 'slice through the landscape' approach. Are you planning to extend it? The trolley base is inspiring and I'll need to make something similar for Howling which is currently supported by a Black and Decker Workmate at one end and a 78 wind up gramophone cabinet at the other!
Thanks @32475. I originally planned to move it into a cabin in the garden and extend it to possibly include Eggesford station as well (I even started making the buildings), but I’ve put that plan on hold for a while as there’s too many other things going on at the moment, so instead I’m going to make two fold down 80cm extensions and a proper fiddle yard at the back so that it’s more useable.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Cheers Cowley :)

A97A5AB4-1DFB-42CC-AC43-584A96075E7E.jpeg

I'm going with a two-section baseboard for a couple of reasons but I'm not sure about putting it on wheels, I'm just going with fixed legs at present.

Iskra

Established Member
I've finally decided on what my station is going to look like. It's going to be a long single island with a bay cut into it to provide two 'long' platforms and a bay platform for DMU's, locomotive stabling, motorail usage etc. Everyone loves a bay platform...

My layout has become a bit 'Fort William,' as it is a terminus station that acts as a junction between mainline and branchline, which allows for lots of operational interest in a limited space.

For the platform, I've got a Metcalfe kit ready to go, but I'm still waiting on Gaugemaster's Ballast Roll from Rails of Sheffield before I can proceed as then I will know the required measurements and will be able to test it all fits together with the right clearances before final assembly.

Below, the Jinty station pilot has shunted a motorail wagon off the rear of the St Pancras sleeper, while a K3 waits for any connecting passengers before heading up the branch.
MR.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've finally decided on what my station is going to look like. It's going to be a long single island with a bay cut into it to provide two 'long' platforms and a bay platform for DMU's, locomotive stabling, motorail usage etc. Everyone loves a bay platform...

My layout has become a bit 'Fort William,' as it is a terminus station that acts as a junction between mainline and branchline, which allows for lots of operational interest in a limited space.

For the platform, I've got a Metcalfe kit ready to go, but I'm still waiting on Gaugemaster's Ballast Roll from Rails of Sheffield before I can proceed as then I will know the required measurements and will be able to test it all fits together with the right clearances before final assembly.

Below, the Jinty station pilot has shunted a motorail wagon off the rear of the St Pancras sleeper, while a K3 waits for any connecting passengers before heading up the branch.
View attachment 86878
That’s coming along well @Iskra, I really like the Fort William feel about it. I was trying to work out if they used that pink coloured ballast around there in those days?

This week I have been mostly making fold down extensions for my railway. I will soon have a proper fiddle yard and a fairly large area of new scenic sections to get my teeth into...
D111AA37-D7DF-4983-B9E6-C336A77E904B.jpeg

FB560E7D-4667-4902-8FBB-BADFB5AC8F9D.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent idea! A decent fiddle yard really is crucial for realistic operations so that should really enhance your layout :)

The only issue is then it’s really easy to get carried away with extra rolling stock!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The only issue is then it’s really easy to get carried away with extra rolling stock!
So very easy, I have a few things that don't really suit my locations and I'm after a Deltic just because - well it's a Deltic!

Iskra

Established Member
So very easy, I have a few things that don't really suit my locations and I'm after a Deltic just because - well it's a Deltic!
I mean if it brings you joy, then anything goes really, it's your railway afterall... ...and Deltics are great loco's :)

Luckily, my DCC controller only allows 10 loco's on it at once, so I have 10 for the early 1960's plus 10 for the 1996-2000 era that I can alter my layout for slightly, then after that if I buy a loco, I sell one too so can't hoarde any more.

cossie4i

I mean if it brings you joy, then anything goes really, it's your railway afterall... ...and Deltics are great loco's :)

Luckily, my DCC controller only allows 10 loco's on it at once, so I have 10 for the early 1960's plus 10 for the 1996-2000 era that I can alter my layout for slightly, then after that if I buy a loco, I sell one too so can't hoarde any more.
I’m very guilty of hoarding, I have over 20 Lima 47s lol

hexagon789

Veteran Member

A good way of limiting ones excesses!

I’m very guilty of hoarding, I have over 20 Lima 47s lol
There was a chap on another forum who claimed to have modelled almost every class 47 in existence - I think he had something like 490 of them all apparently representing it's real life numbersake in all manner of detailing

*supposedly* ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh yes, by far the largest class of steam locomotive ever built anywhere of course! :lol::lol::lol:
Yeah he definitely wins. The best I can do is that I’ve collected 2% of the class 50s built...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1 Park Royal Railbus gives me 20% :D Nothing else I own comes close to that one
That’s pretty good @Iskra. I realised last night that I’ve got two class 33s out of a class of 98, so I’m slightly up on my 2% of class 50s. But only just...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have 2 class 52s (3%), and 5 HST power cars (2.5%) of a class
I have two HST power cars, I think another two will be enough - I only need an HST to cover the Highland Chieftain, everything else is either loco-hauled or a DMU

Though I kind of want a Western as well as a Deltic! Totally unprototypical but I have a growing fondness for the 52s!

1 Park Royal Railbus gives me 20% :D Nothing else I own comes close to that one
Nothing I own makes more than 1% so you're far ahead of myself!

That’s pretty good @Iskra. I realised last night that I’ve got two class 33s out of a class of 98, so I’m slightly up on my 2% of class 50s. But only just...
You only need forty-nine more 50s then, I'm sure you can take put that on forum expenses, no? ;)

And I only need fifteen 47/7s then I'm done! :)

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of new arrivals this morning courtesy of The Model Centre. As well as modelling late steam I'm looking to make my layout slightly modular so that with a few changes to vehicles, the shed area and accessories I can also run the early privatisation period. Semaphore signalling would still be believable on one of the extremities of the network. I'm going to have a go at building my platforms tomorrow from a Metcalfe kit.

57FL.jpg67EWS.jpg

The 57 was a cut price Bachmann DCC sound model as I think it was one of the early sound models and was a bit problematic on release. Mine works fine and it's certainly loud enough to be a 57!

The 67 is a Hornby EWS DCC fitted, although I might pick up a TTS sound chip when they are back in stock. It's a very good runner. I've always had a soft spot for 67's. The Scotrail MK3 SLEP's were the hardest item to obtain at a reasonable price, I had to buy a Train Pack including a class 90 to avoid the crazy prices that the coaches alone are going for on Ebay. I'm happy now I have a passable sleeper portion :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice sir! Did you get them weathered? I can’t see very well on my phone screen but the 57 looks like it is.

Iskra

Established Member
Very nice sir! Did you get them weathered? I can’t see very well on my phone screen but the 57 looks like it is.
The 57 I just got value weathered, but they've done quite a lot on the roof actually. The 67 was one in their clearance section that was pre-weathered so I'm not sure what level it is done to, but it's mainly the roof and underframes, the rest is subtle- but good- if you look closely you can see windscreen wiper marks on the windscreen and marks on the buffers. I've added the black bit of plastic, on the bottom at the front which now looks a little out of place so I will try weather the spare one from the opposite end and then swap them around. I didn't want the weathering to be overdone on these two as they both would have been fairly new locomotives at the time.

I'm edging towards doing some of my own weathering, I've acquired a few cheap test beds that I'm not too fussed if I ruin and I've been watching videos on the subject. I'm also very lucky that I work next to some wagon sidings so I've been taking photos for reference as I think having something to copy will help the process. One day, i would like to be able to replicate this track too:

wagons.jpg

reddragon

Established Member
A couple of new arrivals this morning courtesy of The Model Centre. As well as modelling late steam I'm looking to make my layout slightly modular so that with a few changes to vehicles, the shed area and accessories I can also run the early privatisation period. Semaphore signalling would still be believable on one of the extremities of the network. I'm going to have a go at building my platforms tomorrow from a Metcalfe kit.

View attachment 87058View attachment 87059

The 57 was a cut price Bachmann DCC sound model as I think it was one of the early sound models and was a bit problematic on release. Mine works fine and it's certainly loud enough to be a 57!

The 67 is a Hornby EWS DCC fitted, although I might pick up a TTS sound chip when they are back in stock. It's a very good runner. I've always had a soft spot for 67's. The Scotrail MK3 SLEP's were the hardest item to obtain at a reasonable price, I had to buy a Train Pack including a class 90 to avoid the crazy prices that the coaches alone are going for on Ebay. I'm happy now I have a passable sleeper portion :)
Are they Scotrail sleepers behind the 67?

I've done an update on my viaduct, including the details of my stone finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.