• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettSy96

They all look really nice - the 91s are some of my favourite engines. I don't know why!
Here's mine to add to the mix. The top of the pantograph (the fancy bit that connects with the wires) is a bit wonky but it's easily put back upright.

View attachment 89341
It's an old Hornby model and came with a DVT and 2 Mk4s in the same livery from eBay for around £60 total late last year. My only criticism of the model is that it doesn't have a coupling on the pointy end to allow for blunt-end running, but it's a fairly small issue and maybe something the new Hornby ones will correct?

-Peter
Thanks! Nice that’s a good deal you got there! I have bought most of mine from eBay, and yes I agree! I’m hoping the release date doesn’t get pushed back again for the new Hornby ones as I’m starting to get inpatient for them :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks! Nice that’s a good deal you got there! I have bought most of mine from eBay, and yes I agree! I’m hoping the release date doesn’t get pushed back again for the new Hornby ones as I’m starting to get inpatient for them :lol:
You're very welcome - and thanks :)
There were a few different versions of the 91 on eBay when I looked but the one I went for stood out as it has the white skirt at the front, which I think just finishes it off. I'd like to get one of the new Hornby ones at some point but probably not for a while as I've got so many other things to buy!

-Peter

BrettSy96

You're very welcome - and thanks :)
There were a few different versions of the 91 on eBay when I looked but the one I went for stood out as it has the white skirt at the front, which I think just finishes it off. I'd like to get one of the new Hornby ones at some point but probably not for a while as I've got so many other things to buy!

-Peter
Yeah I agree, the ones with the white skirts seem to be the newer older hornby versions (if that makes sense:lol:) as they also have the working pantograph where as the ones with the black skirt have the moulded pantograph.:)

reddragon

Established Member
They all look really nice - the 91s are some of my favourite engines. I don't know why!
Here's mine to add to the mix. The top of the pantograph (the fancy bit that connects with the wires) is a bit wonky but it's easily put back upright.

View attachment 89341
It's an old Hornby model and came with a DVT and 2 Mk4s in the same livery from eBay for around £60 total late last year. My only criticism of the model is that it doesn't have a coupling on the pointy end to allow for blunt-end running, but it's a fairly small issue and maybe something the new Hornby ones will correct?

-Peter
The real 91s were a design wonder when they came out and worked unlike the APT

The Hornby model is err, could do better and they will with a new model! Not for me though as never run on Southern / Western

BrettSy96

Lovely locos!

When I was younger I was quite the GNER fan, so I have a GNER HST and some Mk4s but I never got a 91!

Those make me quite jealous! ;)

(In a nice way of course :))
Haha thanks! No need to be jealous, HST’s are great also :D

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Haha thanks! No need to be jealous, HST’s are great also :D
I need a few more of those(!) - one all blue/grey and one mixed/IC Executive or I might just obtain one of each and mix certain vehicles.

Got a lovely reference photo for a power car which I'm aiming to reproduce the weathering and slight variations of

BrettSy96

I need a few more of those(!) - one all blue/grey and one mixed/IC Executive or I might just obtain one of each and mix certain vehicles.

Got a lovely reference photo for a power car which I'm aiming to reproduce the weathering and slight variations of
Nice! Always liked the Intercity livery on the HST’s, sadly the livery had gone when I first got into trains!

Peter C

Established Member
The real 91s were a design wonder when they came out and worked unlike the APT
That's definitely the consensus from what I've read and watched. Shame that they didn't get to do what they were originally designed to do (that being WCML running, freight and sleepers at night, etc.), but hey ho.

The Hornby model is err, could do better and they will with a new model! Not for me though as never run on Southern / Western
The Hornby one is nowhere near as good as modern versions, no, and it has some issues and little bits where it could be a bit better; that's for certain. I'm quite happy with it and it makes semi-regular appearances on the Oldmoor - London express, with no overhead wires anywhere near :D

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Nice! Always liked the Intercity livery on the HST’s, sadly the livery had gone when I first got into trains!
Personally I prefer the original blue/grey but I don't dislike Executive or Swallow.

The Hornby one is nowhere near as good as modern versions, no, and it has some issues and little bits where it could be a bit better; that's for certain. I'm quite happy with it and it makes semi-regular appearances on the Oldmoor - London express, with no overhead wires anywhere near :D
Model Rail had an article about detailing the original the Hornby model, as part of a larger article on modelling IC225s.

I could scan and PM you the 91 section if I can find the issue in my collection! (It's there somewhere!)

reddragon

Established Member
Apologies @reddragon but I've forgotten - you have seperate thread for your railway don't you? I can't seem to find it. Probably overlooking it somehow.

Edit: I should add I would be interested to see your progress hence my asking

Its a pain since the daft rule come in that you can only Edit threads grrr @Cowley !!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Its a pain since the daft rule come in that you can only Edit threads grrr @Cowley !!!
That might be why I can't find it - shows as read, ie not updated. I agree it's annoying.

Anyway thanks for the link

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Nothing to do with me! :lol:

Jaz avalley

That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
edit oh ouch the quote did not carry...32475.
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol

reddragon

Established Member
That looks worth investigating do you have a layout thread I can browse through?
when you press quote I do not seem to have got the knack of typing in the right place to quote the post in question can some one please help....i swear I’m brunette and not blonde lol
Do blonde jokes apply to men too?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Use "reply" instead, might be better

32475 reporting! I don’t have a separate thread if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve simply posted some occasional photos over the past few months which is a good reminder to put some more on soon. As a sideline I’ve also written up a short history of my fictional line which is the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway (HK&ER). Watch this space for further updates and thanks for the interest.

Today I've had a bit of fun, not actually modelling but finishing off a short write-up about my fictional line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway HK&ER. It was such fun to do that I 'commend it to the House' - in other words if you are modelling a fictional line, it's great to use your imagination about how and when it was built. In time I'll add some fictional photos, tickets etc to enhance the document but in the meantime, here is a first draft.....
I should add that the whole concept of my model is based on the novel 'Cold Comfort Farm' by Stella Gibbons published in 1932. Strictly speaking, the location of Howling should be a bit further south in the vicinity of the South Downs so if you know the book I hope you'll forgive me!

Attachments

• Howling Railway write up.docx
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Jaz avalley

32475 reporting! I don’t have a separate thread if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve simply posted some occasional photos over the past few months which is a good reminder to put some more on soon. As a sideline I’ve also written up a short history of my fictional line which is the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway (HK&ER). Watch this space for further updates and thanks for the interest.

Today I've had a bit of fun, not actually modelling but finishing off a short write-up about my fictional line, the Horsted Keynes & Eridge Railway HK&ER. It was such fun to do that I 'commend it to the House' - in other words if you are modelling a fictional line, it's great to use your imagination about how and when it was built. In time I'll add some fictional photos, tickets etc to enhance the document but in the meantime, here is a first draft.....
I should add that the whole concept of my model is based on the novel 'Cold Comfort Farm' by Stella Gibbons published in 1932. Strictly speaking, the location of Howling should be a bit further south in the vicinity of the South Downs so if you know the book I hope you'll forgive me!
Is Starkadder a cousin to Blackadder, love the early story, you clearly studied other real railways for reference as well.

It was a line that never really changed, it is going to be 1930s. The N10 never ran on the line as far as I know, so i'm going to build a Y7 which was common on the line.
There is a you tube posting of a oo layout of the line and a pathe film, there never was a station at Bamburgh. Lord Armstrong would have like one , but never materialised as it is to far from the track.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-four-mile-railway
Nice and em too,loads of thought here I like it

Duplo , totally retro, I never had one as a child, but I have a number of the end of line buffers, nice sturdy,these really are lovely

View attachment 76039 View attachment 76040
Hi cowley
I probably have but I keep adding things to the layout the shed is a recent buy
And a few more locomotives
Neil
A4s best locos ever, we have a total soft spot for those babies
42C90235-528A-4EFB-A33E-563B02BC184E.jpeg

71273250-D906-4CD3-9937-D0AE84D09140.jpeg

Well I’ve just had my first attempt at static grass and after a bit of effort I started to get the hang of it. It’s harder to make it look realistic in N gauge and I think I’m going to give it a trim with my beard trimmer when it’s dry before hoovering any excess off.
I sieved some dried soil from the garden and used it here and there to give some different texture too.

When I first did it it looked proper gaudy so I sprayed over it with the airbrush using a thinned down earthy colour and it definitely helped.
I’m sure an expert would have a fit but I’m not an expert! :lol:
Here you go:

View attachment 76673View attachment 76674View attachment 76675
Having the brown soil colour first really works well with the static grass nice work,my first attempt I painted the ‘ground’ green it looked awful.

Ah lockdown heaven today.
I managed to gather together some chipboard, screws, wiring and enough track to cobble together a temporary return loop for the railway.
I used every single spare bit of track for it but it’s been lovely watching the trains go round and doing a bit of shunting this afternoon.

View attachment 76906
Also nice contours we initially had some not flat but strange contours until we changed to foam when ours upgraded enormously
4AC54FDF-745B-4DF6-93D5-7E04439C5106.jpeg
783A65D7-21F4-45E8-B4DD-10375AAB3AA3.jpeg
still a work in progress but the foam slopes are just so much easier

FYI, Original boards had draped plastercast.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Is Starkadder a cousin to Blackadder, love the early story, you clearly studied other real railways for reference as well.

Nice and em too,loads of thought here I like it

Duplo , totally retro, I never had one as a child, but I have a number of the end of line buffers, nice sturdy,these really are lovely

A4s best locos ever, we have a total soft spot for those babies
View attachment 90165

View attachment 90166

Having the brown soil colour first really works well with the static grass nice work,my first attempt I painted the ‘ground’ green it looked awful.

Also nice contours we initially had some not flat but strange contours until we changed to foam when ours upgraded enormously
View attachment 90167
View attachment 90168
still a work in progress but the foam slopes are just so much easier

FYI, Original boards had draped plastercast.
Try a streamlined P2 or W1 and experience an A4 on steroids!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Try a streamlined P2 or W1 and experience an A4 on steroids!
Well, a P2 can only manage about 75mph and as for the W1 it performed pretty poorly, was a bad steamer and not very free-running at speed; so -personally I think an A4 is an a A4 on steroids! ;)

reddragon

Established Member
Well, a P2 can only manage about 75mph and as for the W1 it performed pretty poorly, was a bad steamer and not very free-running at speed; so -personally I think an A4 is an a A4 on steroids! ;)
The P2 was and will be the most powerful UK steam loco ever built excluding the one off U1 Garratt. Top speed was not its thing but it pulled the heaviest trains known over Scottish mountain passes unmatched by later steam or diesel haulage.

The W1 when rebuilt matched A4 timings with ease and was the drivers favourite. Firemen hated it not only for its hunger for coal, but the distance from the bunker to firebox!

I have both on order, P2 2007 and W1 streamlined in Garter blue

Jaz avalley

..and of course the Mallard holds the record, amazingly I cannot find a picture of my Mallard I will look into addressing that!

The P2 was and will be the most powerful UK steam loco ever built excluding the one off U1 Garratt. Top speed was not its thing but it pulled the heaviest trains known over Scottish mountain passes unmatched by later steam or diesel haulage.

The W1 when rebuilt matched A4 timings with ease and was the drivers favourite. Firemen hated it not only for its hunger for coal, but the distance from the bunker to firebox!

I shall look forward to seeing pictures.

..and of course the Mallard holds the record, amazingly I cannot find a picture of my Mallard I will look into addressing that!

I shall look forward to seeing pictures.
We live close enough to be able to go see where the record was set, we did consider modelling it, but when we measured it to scale fainted!

....and there I thought reddragon...gotta be a Welshman.:)

Jaz avalley

Tony Wright, who has previously written for Railway Modeller, has modelled that location in O gauge: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk...m?postId=402f58a3-2ee3-4619-b41d-f4a023a328ef

-Peter
The location yes, but not the whole run even in 00 we are half way down our field! O for the whole run would definitely take a lot of space.
Just over a couple of miles for the record distance at 1:76 (00) 1 mile=1600 so 2=3200m div by 76.2=41.99metres.Our whole bungalow is around 30m so just not possible.

Peter C

Established Member
The location yes, but not the whole run even in 00 we are half way down our field! O for the whole run would definitely take a lot of space.
Just over a couple of miles for the record distance at 1:76 (00) 1 mile=1600 so 2=3200m div by 76.2=41.99metres.Our whole bungalow is around 30m so just not possible.
Now that's a fair bit of space required! A 'dream layout' I think... :)

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I cannot fault the P2s for power, they were designed to be able to haul full length Anglo-Scottish WCML trains north of Edinburgh to Aberdeen which has a stiff graded and tightly curved southern section. They handled that no problem, but there were issues with wheel wear because of the long wheelbase and coal consumption as I understand it.

I will be interested to see the two rebuilds perform though.

Indeed, and what beautiful pieces of engineering they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.