• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaz avalley

the wonderful thing about this hobby,we can all have totally different tastes, and go our own way on our own layouts,whilst still enjoying others choices,and have bygone eras still to enjoy,model airplanes almost everybody wants the best easiest to fly,rarely do you see an older model,cycling the same I have only ever seen one penny farthing in my life,but here we can enjoy and reminisce and enjoy others choices while still loving our own.
I usually have a few items on the go,and generally find an issue which grinds me to a halt until I can address the issue,but I often recycle ideas trying to improve them,at the moment I went a shade too far on one of my water projects which I won’t undo, but it still niggles me,so you can argue is this one in progress, well once I decide how I can overcome the issue I know I will go back to it,strangely I have 3 projects of the same type on the layout all stopped until I address
0E17B863-168C-4397-9CDB-D34EA67FDCD7.jpeg
D5129F30-265D-4151-A5B1-15004657DB78.jpeg
this one is due a waterfall too

E85F07C3-712D-4A78-88C1-6E68CA6D499F.jpeg
AEE6C572-D77D-4FD6-B5DE-AB512CBC728F.jpeg
this one has a deep groove in it,as I want to add a kayaker or similar so I still need to build up layers
then there’s the one on Goathland weir still to finish
2CC5A385-4A44-4A0F-BF61-C7C249214AA7.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Spent all day on a roof on Dartmoor taking a chimney down in minus 2 degrees temperature and with a 40mph wind driving dust into my face today.
I really want to do a bit of ballasting on the new extensions I’ve built on the railway but I’m struggling to lift myself off the sofa. I feel like a broken man. :lol:

reddragon

Established Member
Could have done with one today!
At least warmer and less snow where you are than here further east!

I am posted down in the warm, indoors avoiding the wind, powdery snow and freezing cold! No loft until Sunday I reckon!

At least I can pre-heat my EV before venturing out!!

Jaz avalley

One of my posts was moved to...old railway carriages repurposed for other uses...but I can’t find this when I do a search can someone help me find this thread please

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One of my posts was moved to...old railway carriages repurposed for other uses...but I can’t find this when I do a search can someone help me find this thread please
I’ve moved it back to where it was now. Made a bit of a mistake last night and didn’t notice until someone pointed it out, so it would have sent you a notification but just ignore it. :)

Peter C

Established Member
the wonderful thing about this hobby,we can all have totally different tastes, and go our own way on our own layouts,whilst still enjoying others choices,and have bygone eras still to enjoy,model airplanes almost everybody wants the best easiest to fly,rarely do you see an older model,cycling the same I have only ever seen one penny farthing in my life,but here we can enjoy and reminisce and enjoy others choices while still loving our own.
I usually have a few items on the go,and generally find an issue which grinds me to a halt until I can address the issue,but I often recycle ideas trying to improve them,at the moment I went a shade too far on one of my water projects which I won’t undo, but it still niggles me,so you can argue is this one in progress, well once I decide how I can overcome the issue I know I will go back to it,strangely I have 3 projects of the same type on the layout all stopped until I address
View attachment 90227
View attachment 90228
this one is due a waterfall too

View attachment 90229
View attachment 90230
this one has a deep groove in it,as I want to add a kayaker or similar so I still need to build up layers
then there’s the one on Goathland weir still to finish
View attachment 90234
You've hit the nail on the head there with your observations about the hobby @Jaz avalley - I love seeing other peoples' layouts and how they do different things, and yours is a really good example of that. I'm loving those scenes you've made! If those cows were on my layout, they'd all have names and backstories by now... ;)
Also - and apologies for quoting an older post - but what kind of Class 121 is that in the station? I think I've gone slightly mad recently and developed a real interest in them, and I'm looking to get a few more :D The station and the surrounding area look really nice as well: the kind of thing I'd like to make in a loft layout one day.

Spent all day on a roof on Dartmoor taking a chimney down in minus 2 degrees temperature and with a 40mph wind driving dust into my face today.
I really want to do a bit of ballasting on the new extensions I’ve built on the railway but I’m struggling to lift myself off the sofa. I feel like a broken man. :lol:
You sound like Fred Dibnah! ;)
I was just reading @Cowley's post and thought the exact same thing @hexagon789 - reminded me of this:
(skip to ~3:50).

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Today, I took my dining chairs to an upholsterer. I have some London Transport moquette which he is going to use to cover them and make some cushions from the spare fabric!

Not quite model rail but until the warmth of Sunday, its still railway related!

Peter C

Established Member
Today, I took my dining chairs to an upholsterer. I have some London Transport moquette which he is going to use to cover them and make some cushions from the spare fabric!

Not quite model rail but until the warmth of Sunday, its still railway related!
Brilliant :) I saw on eBay the other day that someone was making FGW Dynamic Lines cushions - a bit pricey but nice nonetheless. This might warrant its own thread if I go on much more!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Brilliant :) I saw on eBay the other day that someone was making FGW Dynamic Lines cushions - a bit pricey but nice nonetheless. This might warrant its own thread if I go on much more!

-Peter
The moquette is on eBay for £60 per metre! So tempting as it will only last so long before its gone forever. Do you have anything needs covering, model railway chair etc?

Peter C

Established Member
The moquette is on eBay for £60 per metre! So tempting as it will only last so long before its gone forever. Do you have anything needs covering, model railway chair etc?
Not that I can think of :) I think I might get one of those FGW cushions at some point, just to remind me of FGW HST rides to Oxford and back a few (at the moment) years ago!

-Peter

Jaz avalley

You've hit the nail on the head there with your observations about the hobby @Jaz avalley - I love seeing other peoples' layouts and how they do different things, and yours is a really good example of that. I'm loving those scenes you've made! If those cows were on my layout, they'd all have names and backstories by now... ;)

Also - and apologies for quoting an older post - but what kind of Class 121 is that in the station? I think I've gone slightly mad recently and developed a real interest in them, and I'm looking to get a few more :D The station and the surrounding area look really nice as well: the kind of thing I'd like to make in a loft layout one day.

I was just reading @Cowley's post and thought the exact same thing @hexagon789 - reminded me of this:
(skip to ~3:50).

-Peter
Class 121 unfortunately that is an old picture, and she is reboxed, if I had to guess I would say it is one of our Dapol, but I would not like to bet on the livery, I’ll look through my photos and see if I have a better picture. I cannot even find a picture of her, she has obviously never fitted any of the scenarios I have set up, so she is sat in her box somewhere.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Class 121 unfortunately that is an old picture, and she is reboxed, if I had to guess I would say it is one of our Dapol, but I would not like to bet on the livery, I’ll look through my photos and see if I have a better picture. I cannot even find a picture of her, she has obviously never fitted any of the scenarios I have set up, so she is sat in her box somewhere.
I see that Peters experience is widespread with the number of Bargain Dapol 121/122s available second hand

I say nothing!

Man who was transfixed by a famous junction in Yorkshire as a boy transforms it it into Britain's BIGGEST model railway

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I bought one of the railway modelling magazines recently because it featured that railway. I think we’ve discussed it on here before somewhere as well.
It’s absolutely superb and the attention to detail is some of the best I’ve ever seen.

Peter C

Established Member
I bought one of the railway modelling magazines recently because it featured that railway. I think we’ve discussed it on here before somewhere as well.
It’s absolutely superb and the attention to detail is some of the best I’ve ever seen.
It really is. I first saw it in the first video I posted the link to and how the man who's built it has enough patience to do all of that work, I'll never know! :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I've seen that railway before, it's impressive, it's an area I know well and it captures the feel of the line there. But, I can't help feel it's a missed opportunity having all that space and just doing a fairly barren stretch of 4 track line in an embankment. Okay, I get that it's a fairly interesting junction at one end, it's a busy section of line and there's a good variety of traffic, but I still scratch my head at the choice of location for that amount of space. I guess it was a personal thing, and each to their own.

Peter C

Established Member
I've seen that railway before, it's impressive, it's an area I know well and it captures the feel of the line there. But, I can't help feel it's a missed opportunity having all that space and just doing a fairly barren stretch of 4 track line in an embankment. Okay, I get that it's a fairly interesting junction at one end, it's a busy section of line and there's a good variety of traffic, but I still scratch my head at the choice of location for that amount of space. I guess it was a personal thing, and each to their own.
That's kind of what I thought when I first saw it - I think the guy who made it spent a lot of time watching trains there, and so that location would have held a lot of nice memories for him. Personally, I think I would have probably filled the space with a massive 00 gauge terminus - London Paddington probably :D

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That's kind of what I thought when I first saw it - I think the guy who made it spent a lot of time watching trains there, and so that location would have held a lot of nice memories for him. Personally, I think I would have probably filled the space with a massive 00 gauge terminus - London Paddington probably :D

-Peter
Yes me too, although mine would more likely be WCML-based!

Peter C

Established Member
Fag packet calculation. Exeter to Penzance is about 120 miles. N Gauge is 1:148

So I make that 0.81 of a mile !
Now that's dedication! I suppose you might be able to fit it in on a large runway then...? ;)

-Peter

83A

Now that's dedication! I suppose you might be able to fit it in on a large runway then...? ;)

-Peter
Just for fun. Looked online and a 25 yard pack of N Gauge track is £70. Therefore to double track the above would come in around £7700 ! That’s without any turnouts loops or sidings included

Status
Not open for further replies.