• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
That looks an excellent little set up you have there @WestRiding . How is it powered? Is it German or Swiss-based? What rolling stock do you run?

WestRiding

That looks an excellent little set up you have there @WestRiding . How is it powered? Is it German or Swiss-based? What rolling stock do you run?
Thanks. Its loosely anything European Narrow Gauge, but nothing that has a pantograph. Its DCC controlled track power using a Massoth setup.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks. Its loosely anything European Narrow Gauge, but nothing that has a pantograph. Its DCC controlled track power using a Massoth setup.

It’s lovely. Always had a soft spot for G gauge.

Peter C

Established Member
Bit of work in the garden yesterday.... G Scale running through the garden.
View attachment 96682View attachment 96683
Just came on here to find something and noticed I hadn't responded to this - so I shall now! That does look brilliant - works very well with the landscaping. A garden railway is definitely something I'd like to make at some point; the idea of running a railway with more of the 'real' challenges such as adverse weather (well, in G scale I suppose 'adverse' would be a slight drizzle) or animals on the line. :)

-Peter

WestRiding

Just came on here to find something and noticed I hadn't responded to this - so I shall now! That does look brilliant - works very well with the landscaping. A garden railway is definitely something I'd like to make at some point; the idea of running a railway with more of the 'real' challenges such as adverse weather (well, in G scale I suppose 'adverse' would be a slight drizzle) or animals on the line. :)

-Peter
Thanks. Ballast is the main problem with heavy thundery showers. It can be a washout nightmare.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks. Ballast is the main problem with heavy thundery showers. It can be a washout nightmare.
I can't imagine what a garden layout would look like after some of the weather we've had recently. I suppose a way of solving it would be to use larger stones of ballast, or to somehow glue them down - but neither of those ways seems particularly practical.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can't imagine what a garden layout would look like after some of the weather we've had recently. I suppose a way of solving it would be to use larger stones of ballast, or to somehow glue them down - but neither of those ways seems particularly practical.

-Peter

Funnily enough the ballast shoulders on the Dawlish section are actually bonded together with something. Here’s a bird:

119DBD70-278A-4344-8D8D-383172F54ECE.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I never knew that. Thanks!
Is this bird pivotal to the picture? Is it the bird which produces the, well, stuff which holds the ballast together? ;)

-Peter

It’s possible. It does look quite relieved...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve done virtually nothing this last couple of weeks due to other commitments apart from making some more trees for a friend.
Anyone else been up to much?

Peter C

Established Member
I've not got anything done on my layout recently - and I can't really justify it by calling Train Sim a 'commitment'... :lol:
Although having said that, I do have some things I want to do, and watching Budget Model Railways on YouTube has given me some ideas for how I could add to the layout, so that's something I suppose?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve done very little as things have been hectic the last few months. I’ve had another slight rearrange of track which solved some issues but also created a couple more. It has involved removing the bay platform and installing a carriage siding instead, which seemed to work better operationally.

I’m still working on the new platforms but I have no free time until after the 23rd of June .

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It sounds like it’s busy time for you guys as well as me.
I might have a bit of a railway session tomorrow night if I can. I’ve got a few ideas for things I want to do and I’ve got what I need for them.

Peter C

Established Member
I’ve done very little as things have been hectic the last few months. I’ve had another slight rearrange of track which solved some issues but also created a couple more. It has involved removing the bay platform and installing a carriage siding instead, which seemed to work better operationally.

I’m still working on the new platforms but I have no free time until after the 23rd of June .
Sounds interesting - I'm firmly of the view that it's better to move the track around a hundred times, and then come up with something you really like, than go with the mindset that you can't keep changing things. Once the track is pinned/glued and then ballasted, then it's pretty permanent, though! :D
That's no good it creating more issues - what kind of issues are they? Operational, or electrical? I often find the first kind always crops up on my layout.

It sounds like it’s busy time for you guys as well as me.
I might have a bit of a railway session tomorrow night if I can. I’ve got a few ideas for things I want to do and I’ve got what I need for them.
These things do sound intriguing - at least you have the things to make them happen! My list of 'things I need to get' is far, far too long and given the price of Hornby's scenic items, I'll need to win the lottery in nigh on every country in Europe to buy them all :lol:
The main issue on my layout has been the track: I've mentioned the track-cleaning wagon I bought a few months ago, but it still hasn't arrived, and cleaning the track with a normal rubber is a pain in the proverbial. Does anyone on here clean their model railway track when the layout's going through periods of not being used? I certainly haven't and it's turned into quite the project which I might try this evening...

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds interesting - I'm firmly of the view that it's better to move the track around a hundred times, and then come up with something you really like, than go with the mindset that you can't keep changing things. Once the track is pinned/glued and then ballasted, then it's pretty permanent, though! :D
That's no good it creating more issues - what kind of issues are they? Operational, or electrical? I often find the first kind always crops up on my layout.

These things do sound intriguing - at least you have the things to make them happen! My list of 'things I need to get' is far, far too long and given the price of Hornby's scenic items, I'll need to win the lottery in nigh on every country in Europe to buy them all :lol:
The main issue on my layout has been the track: I've mentioned the track-cleaning wagon I bought a few months ago, but it still hasn't arrived, and cleaning the track with a normal rubber is a pain in the proverbial. Does anyone on here clean their model railway track when the layout's going through periods of not being used? I certainly haven't and it's turned into quite the project which I might try this evening...

-Peter
I totally agree! Long story short is that while swapping the track around, I put a pair of self-isolating points where a non-self isolating points need to be, so I've accidentally isolated my engine shed area which I only discovered when having an operating session :D It is fairly easily solved however, but I'll need a tidy/shunting of rolling stock session before I can do it.

Most of my spare time recently has been spent watching the Euro's, so I suspect I will make more progress when that's over with :)

Established Member
I’ve done virtually nothing this last couple of weeks due to other commitments apart from making some more trees for a friend.
Anyone else been up to much?
Other than this lighthouse making it's way onto the layout nothing really scenery wise.

IMG_20210618_170122.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I totally agree! Long story short is that while swapping the track around, I put a pair of self-isolating points where a non-self isolating points need to be, so I've accidentally isolated my engine shed area which I only discovered when having an operating session :D It is fairly easily solved however, but I'll need a tidy/shunting of rolling stock session before I can do it.
Oh dear - a bit of an issue for operating, but easily solved, as you say. Have you used Hornby's point clips? They detract from the realism of the points a bit, but they're one (very expensive, now I've looked into it) way of making insulfrog points into electrofrog ones: https://uk.hornby.com/products/netw...ach-new-measurement-train-977995-era-11-r8232

Most of my spare time recently has been spent watching the Euro's, so I suspect I will make more progress when that's over with :)
Now this is where not having any sort of interest in football pays off - but only when I'm not trying to watch telly at the same time as model work ;)

Other than this lighthouse making it's way onto the layout nothing really scenery wise.

View attachment 98395
That's a very nice little model. I had a lighthouse on my layout at one point - it came from a holiday down in Cornwall a few years ago and was quite nice. Yours looks much more prototypical and to-scale :lol:

-Peter

Gloster

Established Member
Making up lists of things I need to start up in OO and then crossing much of the stuff off when I realise that, even though I am buying (fingers crossed) a larger house so I will have room for both a layout and my books, if I buy everything on the list I won’t have room for the layout. Also finding that, having bought a couple of Grampus kits, that I have already got several stored in a box.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nobody has read or commented on my update :(

You need to pm one of us as I’ve said before, otherwise it’s not always noticed.
That goes for anyone who has the same issue as unfortunately I can’t get it changed at the moment. So just send me pm reminder and I’ll happily put something in.

Nick.

Peter C

Established Member
Nobody has read or commented on my update :(
Sorry @reddragon - completely missed that one. Just responded now :)

Making up lists of things I need to start up in OO and then crossing much of the stuff off when I realise that, even though I am buying (fingers crossed) a larger house so I will have room for both a layout and my books, if I buy everything on the list I won’t have room for the layout. Also finding that, having bought a couple of Grampus kits, that I have already got several stored in a box.
Haha :lol:
I have a habit of going through sites like Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, and eBay of an evening, and bookmarking all of the items I like the look of (and sort them by date found, which may seem rather sad but is actually quite useful). One day I managed to bookmark getting on for a hundred items! What kind of ideas have you got for your layout? Apologies if you've already mentioned this before :)

-Peter

Gloster

Established Member
Sorry @reddragon - completely missed that one. Just responded now :)

Haha :lol:
I have a habit of going through sites like Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, and eBay of an evening, and bookmarking all of the items I like the look of (and sort them by date found, which may seem rather sad but is actually quite useful). One day I managed to bookmark getting on for a hundred items! What kind of ideas have you got for your layout? Apologies if you've already mentioned this before :)

-Peter
Use the bits of BR Blue generation N-gauge I have (too many locos, too little stock) to get something running, but with the minimum of extra purchases. The plans are vaguely 1970s, just north of Inverness, but it will be a bit of a minimal project so I don’t get bogged down. The intention is then to move up to OO with a small project in the same area and era, and possibly a second set in Devon, with (if practicable) a shared circuit or fiddleyard.

Peter C

Established Member
Use the bits of BR Blue generation N-gauge I have (too many locos, too little stock) to get something running, but with the minimum of extra purchases. The plans are vaguely 1970s, just north of Inverness, but it will be a bit of a minimal project so I don’t get bogged down. The intention is then to move up to OO with a small project in the same area and era, and possibly a second set in Devon, with (if practicable) a shared circuit or fiddleyard.
All sounds very interesting. I suppose it's better to have too many engines than too many coaches/wagons (that's the way I'd look at it anyway ;))? Scottish layouts seem to be getting more popular over the past few years and it's cool to see the different ways people can model the various branches and stations which are just so evocative of that kind of location and era.
Planning to move from one scale to another from the beginning isn't something I've seen before but if it's going to work then that's brilliant. I expect @Cowley will be able to advise on modelling BR Blue Devon, should you ever need any help ;)

-Peter

Gloster

Established Member
All sounds very interesting. I suppose it's better to have too many engines than too many coaches/wagons (that's the way I'd look at it anyway ;))? Scottish layouts seem to be getting more popular over the past few years and it's cool to see the different ways people can model the various branches and stations which are just so evocative of that kind of location and era.
Planning to move from one scale to another from the beginning isn't something I've seen before but if it's going to work then that's brilliant. I expect @Cowley will be able to advise on modelling BR Blue Devon, should you ever need any help ;)

-Peter
Not only do I have plenty of books, but I worked on BR in Devon in the Blue days.

Status
Not open for further replies.