• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Right I’ve had a look and the best I can do is a pair of Dutch 37s in the gathering gloom on an HST drag on Dartmoor (that’s my 37 with the ploughs).

View attachment 105536

Let me know if you need something stronger…
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I never had an HST drag, never mind one as rateable as that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

Culmination of my little diorama TMD shed layout (I mentioned in a prev post). All on a 2.5ft x 10" shelf!

20211123_200748.jpg

Full house tonight!

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Culmination of my little diorama TMD shed layout (I mentioned in a prev post). All on a 2.5ft x 10" shelf!

Full house tonight! View attachment 106042
Now that looks very nice. Really has that BR-era feel to it! :)
Liking the variety of stock too. The little bits of detailing clutter (and I mean that in the best possible way) really add to the scene.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Work in progress. 2m x 1.2m space saving folding OO layoutView attachment 106045

Well that’s something a bit different. I love the way you’ve arranged the curved points, they look really good.
What are your plans for the sidings on the board that hasn’t got the station on?

RichJF

Really good. It does capture that moment in time very well.
Thanks. Mainly just to run my locos about in a different setting.

Now that looks very nice. Really has that BR-era feel to it! :)
Liking the variety of stock too. The little bits of detailing clutter (and I mean that in the best possible way) really add to the scene.

-Peter
Anything BR needs a bit of grime & clutter! Adds to the chaotic theme!

Love this! Lost my modelling mojo of late but this spurs me on.
Great to hear. It's basically an Inglenook adapted into a micro TMD. Got space for a couple of wagons for interest too.

Bertone

Well that’s something a bit different. I love the way you’ve arranged the curved points, they look really good.
What are your plans for the sidings on the board that hasn’t got the station on?
That area will feature the goods shed which is temporarily placed in in the front left hand corner, plus coal staithes plus introducing some scenic work.
Just out of photo is a single slip from the “branch” loop which will enable running and easy access from the bay platform to the platform loop line in the foreground.
I‘ll try and find a photo to illustrate what I mean.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That area will feature the goods shed which is temporarily placed in in the front left hand corner, plus coal staithes plus introducing some scenic work.
Just out of photo is a single slip from the “branch” loop which will enable running and easy access from the bay platform to the platform loop line in the foreground.
I‘ll try and find a photo to illustrate what I mean.

I’ve got a couple of fold down sections at each end of mine so that when I’ve spent too much time playing trains and been sent to the naughty step it all folds down smaller and pushes into the corner.
Luckily that doesn’t happen too often. ;)

F5DD2532-A465-4B9B-8EFF-DF50EEDEB4BE.jpeg

malc-c

I sent one of the prototypes to a friend who in turn showed it to other members of his club and as a result I revised the layout of the servo controller.

I've dropped the 12v pins, and reduced the board size slightly. One comment was that the outputs to the LEDs could be reduced to a single pin, but this would mean the +5 and ground would need to be run to the LEDs at the panel, and as the LEDs are wired in series it could be messy. The current layout allows the LEDs to be wired individually, so commercially availably plug in LEDs could be used.

The big development has been that code has also been updated to include a signal mode. So now any of the 16 channels can be use to control a turnout, level crossing barriers, and now semaphore signals. When set to operate a signal, the hesitation normally seen when a manually operated lever frame is used, and the random bounce at the end of the fall is faithfully replicated.

Now that's developed I really should see about getting the layout built !

If there is any interest in this project I might look at having some PCB's made and offer some kits for sale

fourtytwo

Looks great malc, those PCA9685 boards look cute too. Do you have an option to switch off the servo signal if there is no movement needed ? I have found that can save a lot of power if the servo is working against a springy bit of wire so it is over-stroking a bit (hope that makes sense).

malc-c

Thanks for the kind words. As far as I'm aware the PCA board will constantly drive servos regardless of their positions whilst the board is powered. I've designed this board so that in order to set the signal to clear 5v has to be present to the input if the shift register for that servo, then when the input is taken low (by turning the switch off) the signal falls (or rises if lower quadrant) to danger. I chose this option as most signals tend to only be set to clear when a train has the route. One thing I find when using the PCA boards is that the servos don't chatter or buzz like those board that drive servos directly from the arduinos. They are indeed an ideal solution for our needs. The advantage of using an PCA board is that it can be placed under the board near a set of turnouts needing just six wires between the control panel and the board, which might have several metres between them. Other commercial servo boards require the servos to be connected to them, so you either have long servo extension cables running form the control panel to the servos, or have long cables between the PCB and the panel for the switches and LEDs if the PCB is mounted under the baseboard near the turnouts.

Hope that helps.

It must be nine months or so since I was last contributed to this item as modelling for me is a winter occupation and the rest of the year is spent building stuff outdoors. Anyway, the next section of ‘Howling’ is now underway which is the more challenging length with station, signal box (already made), cattle dock, bridge, road and a couple of houses.
This week I’ve dipped my toe back in the world of 00 gauge modelling and the water’s lovely!
60B64925-C38F-4185-B8E8-139C10B7F09A.jpegA661BBB4-FBAC-4E60-8D46-54DC57981658.jpegD6046152-86B8-43B9-BFF6-68AA2C8DA3B1.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It must be nine months or so since I was last contributed to this item as modelling for me is a winter occupation and the rest of the year is spent building stuff outdoors. Anyway, the next section of ‘Howling’ is now underway which is the more challenging length with station, signal box (already made), cattle dock, bridge, road and a couple of houses.
This week I’ve dipped my toe back in the world of 00 gauge modelling and the water’s lovely!
View attachment 108044View attachment 108045View attachment 108046
That’s looking very very good. Lovely bit of woodwork too, it’s nice to see the inner workings of it and the way you’re creating the 3D feel.

That’s looking very very good. Lovely bit of woodwork too, it’s nice to see the inner workings of it and the way you’re creating the 3D feel.
Thanks Cowley. A 3D project involves a lot more time, patience and head scratching but any such layouts I’ve seen at exhibitions have so much more wow factor. I’ll see how much I can get done before the Spring equinox but I’m being suitably encouraged by my young grandchildren!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Cowley. A 3D project involves a lot more time, patience and head scratching but any such layouts I’ve seen at exhibitions have so much more wow factor. I’ll see how much I can get done before the Spring equinox but I’m being suitably encouraged by my young grandchildren!
And rightly so. ;)
I think my next attempt will be along similar lines because I think the trains look great running above ground level.

MotCO

Established Member
I like the detail on the section already built, but a quick question about your plan for the new section: why do you have two pairs of points going in the same direction, rather than one in one direction and the other the other way?

I like the detail on the section already built, but a quick question about your plan for the new section: why do you have two pairs of points going in the same direction, rather than one in one direction and the other the other way?
A very good question. My fictional story is that in the mid-fifties setting, the double track line has been singled and the redundant tracks are in the process of being taken up (this is all just three or four years before closure of the line). To the west the former up line is retained whereas to the east the former down line is retained. Meanwhile Howling station itself remains double tracked and therefore allows passing of trains in two directions. Part of the detailing will involve an atmosphere of overgrown track and being generally run down but still bucolic!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It must be nine months or so since I was last contributed to this item as modelling for me is a winter occupation and the rest of the year is spent building stuff outdoors
Nothing wrong with that, you've got to make the most of weather that is amenable to being outside - winter is arguably the perfect time to model, when there's little that can be done outside without freezing to death in about 10 mins ;)

Besides, for only 25% of the year modelling, the 'decorated' scenic section you've got there with the viaduct is superb.

And do like the signal box, a slightly more unusual design to my eyes - at least in the roof, but I like it. The interior detailing with the visible clock and the lever frame is a nice touch, I don't know if you plan on lighting but I think it would look very atmospheric with interior lighting in the dark.

I need a signal box myself but something more HR/CR in design.

Nothing wrong with that, you've got to make the most of weather that is amenable to being outside - winter is arguably the perfect time to model, when there's little that can be done outside without freezing to death in about 10 mins ;)

Besides, for only 25% of the year modelling, the 'decorated' scenic section you've got there with the viaduct is superb.

And do like the signal box, a slightly more unusual design to my eyes - at least in the roof, but I like it. The interior detailing with the visible clock and the lever frame is a nice touch, I don't know if you plan on lighting but I think it would look very atmospheric with interior lighting in the dark.

I need a signal box myself but something more HR/CR in design.
C40FD2A4-8D0F-4E49-8E89-AD727953E366.jpegLighting as requested!

Gloster

Established Member
And I will put in my usual comment about signal box lighting. In reality in the 1950s and into the 1960s the box would probably have no more than a single oil lamp hanging from the roof (fairly high up so that the signalman wouldn’t hit it with his head). This would either be over the booking desk or in the middle. However, this does have the problem that you can’t see the internal detail, which is first class. (You pays your money and you takes your choice.)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
And I will put in my usual comment about signal box lighting. In reality in the 1950s and into the 1960s the box would probably have no more than a single oil lamp hanging from the roof (fairly high up so that the signalman wouldn’t hit it with his head). This would either be over the booking desk or in the middle. However, this does have the problem that you can’t see the internal detail, which is first class. (You pays your money and you takes your choice.)
I saw one a few years ago at a small local exhibition in one of the venues underground rooms which was suitabky simply lit. From memory the steam locos had a flickering (presumably LED) light for the firebox and the station had small yellow LEDs in the station oil lamps. The signal box had a flickering yellow light emanating from within but I couldn't see close enough whether that was to simulate a fireplace or an oil lamp but it gave a reasonably passable low light level.

It's difficult as you say to light in a prototypical manner while allowing interior detail to be clearly seen.

Just so long as it's not trying to emulate the Blackpool Illuminations... ;)

Oh yes, that just makes it :)

Did you already have lighting fitted or have you hastily acceded to my request with a quick fix temporary solution? (I'm looking for ideas for my own purposes on the future, and lighting is something I feel makes a layout come alive.)
I’d added the lighting when I built it but I agree with Gloster that it really is too bright. Having said that, if you have some low level of lighting in the room then the light in the signal box doesn’t appear as strong as it does in my photo.
You also have to make sure that you paint the underside of your roof or even line it with paper and ensure any tiny gaps are sealed otherwise the light glows through the roof especially if you are using Plastikard or similar.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’d added the lighting when I built it but I agree with Gloster that it really is too bright. Having said that, if you have some low level of lighting in the room then the light in the signal box doesn’t appear as strong as it does in my photo.
You also have to make sure that you paint the underside of your roof or even line it with paper and ensure any tiny gaps are sealed otherwise the light glows through the roof especially if you are using Plastikard or similar.

Very true. Light bleeding out from the walls doesn’t look good.
I also find that when I take a photo with my iPhone the lights come out far brighter than they actually are when you’re there looking at them.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A bit bright but the general effect is good

Peter C

Established Member
View attachment 108044View attachment 108045View attachment 108046
Liking the look of that trackplan. The signalbox with the detailing inside looks really cool too - reminds me I need to get on with detailing mine!
The lighting in the signalbox looks really nice as well. The track diagram at the back really adds to it. :D

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.