• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just as an aside, we actually ran 1950s steam until 12pm when we swapped it all for late 1980s stuff, including changing all the road vehicles. That was quite a stressful moment with lots of people watching! :lol:
When I finally get my project up and running, I'm considering the possibility of being able to switch sections out to cover different eras. Due to space constraints it'll be a small diorama type thing, so the idea of being able to do more with a small space does have some appeal... but I should probably get the hang of walking before I try to run. It's been 25+ years since I did any modelling (and even back then, my brother did most of the technical stuff) so I'm more than a little rusty. I'm more than open to suggestions regarding the current plans described below.

Whilst space is a limit, my financial situation has improved somewhat so I'm finally in a position to get past the planning stage... time however has become limited for the same reasons, so as always it comes down to striking a balance.
Basically because my flat is a bit constrained, the only suitable place for a layout is along a windowsill which is 2100mm by 300mm, with space for a wider section of 900mm by 600mm at one end. Obviously a circuit is impossible, so my current plan is to use the wider section for a rural branch line terminus station with some sort of small freight facility (probably a coal loading point) adjacent with a couple of sidings.A single track line will run a short distance through a scene-break where it splits into a couple of sidings long enough to hold a 2-car DMU.
My "model" is lines like Clayton West as that's my territory, though my "head canon" is not limited to real-world locations. Most of my stock is sectorisation-era, so that will be the period I'll theme on primarily. Passenger stuff will be mostly units, so I'll have a 600mm platform possibly with a second that sees little use. My next task however, is getting some baseboards built or ordered!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that’s that all done then.
We somehow won the visitors choice best of show and also the exhibitors choice best of show, which has been fairly mind blowing really!

Also had a few invitations to other shows on the back of this so that’s good too.
I have to say that I’m absolutely frazzled after the last couple of days and we certainly had a few problems with the steam locos this morning (possibly due to the humidity).

A massive well done to Paul for building it and having the vision to come up with it in the first place.

Here’s a little behind the scenes photo of the rear of the layout. ;)

350DE445-B693-40DB-BB17-185BAAF0956C.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
Well that’s that all done then.
We somehow won the visitors choice best of show and also the exhibitors choice best of show, which has been fairly mind blowing really!

Also had a few invitations to other shows on the back of this so that’s good too.
I have to say that I’m absolutely frazzled after the last couple of days and we certainly had a few problems with the steam locos this morning (possibly due to the humidity).

A massive well done to Paul for building it and having the vision to come up with it in the first place.

Here’s a little behind the scenes photo of the rear of the layout. ;)

View attachment 116784
Excellent work.

Can you elaborate on how the layout is operated please? Is a timetable run? Is signalling adhered to? Do you feel under pressure when people are watching?

DJ_K666

Stratford Gate
It's my use of all those Hornby Magazine's Operation Build-It free kits plus an exercise in point building. I'm looking at Templot and starting to sort out turnout diagrams. It'll basically be a pair of 3x1.5 ft boards sat on top of 4x2ft frames. allowing the use of the Faller car system to run around the edge meaning that it'll have moving cars and buses! It'll be a chance for me to try my hand at the Woodland Scenics Roads system as well as DCC.

The layout itself will be set in the early BR blue era, maybe 1973 with diesels plus the odd green vehicle. A last survivor of wagon load freight
I now have the boards in my car and rather more of them than I was expecting. I reckon there's enough there for the layout plus two extensions. Just don't tell my missus... Trackwork will be single track on a double formation and once I get the station board up and running the extension will feaure a big centrepiece, maybe a viaduct or bridge and an embankment leading up to the next station. I find things like that draw visitors in at exhibitions as they draw the eye

It'll show the end of a branch line where they built it that far for operational convenience and the majority of the traffic goes to the previous station, where there is a large former cattle market, although it's more of a general market these days. The line was extended to the main trunk road, the former Turnpike to London, hence the name as this was the former location of the toll house and turnpike gate. The line ends at the bridge abutments as the route was supposed to continue for a couple of miles and earthworks can be seen across the road but the money ran out. These will be shown in a small 'add-on' board with a pub on it and the embankment in a field behind it.

Trains are usually a 2 coach DMU but these are 3 coaches doubled up on market days. as well as a few goods wagons serving the factory warehouse opposite and the odd locomotive hauled train. There will be a 6 coach platform and an empty space opposite for another, which never got built. I can't find much of an excuse to run a 7 coach mk2 rake as yet but rule number 1 will definitely apply.

I'll be doing a blog on RMWeb and a Youtube video of the build. so keep an eye out.

Stratford Gate.jpg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Stratford Gate
It's my use of all those Hornby Magazine's Operation Build-It free kits plus an exercise in point building. I'm looking at Templot and starting to sort out turnout diagrams. It'll basically be a pair of 3x1.5 ft boards sat on top of 4x2ft frames. allowing the use of the Faller car system to run around the edge meaning that it'll have moving cars and buses! It'll be a chance for me to try my hand at the Woodland Scenics Roads system as well as DCC.

The layout itself will be set in the early BR blue era, maybe 1973 with diesels plus the odd green vehicle. A last survivor of wagon load freight
I now have the boards in my car and rather more of them than I was expecting. I reckon there's enough there for the layout plus two extensions. Just don't tell my missus... Trackwork will be single track on a double formation and once I get the station board up and running the extension will feaure a big centrepiece, maybe a viaduct or bridge and an embankment leading up to the next station. I find things like that draw visitors in at exhibitions as they draw the eye

It'll show the end of a branch line where they built it that far for operational convenience and the majority of the traffic goes to the previous station, where there is a large former cattle market, although it's more of a general market these days. The line was extended to the main trunk road, the former Turnpike to London, hence the name as this was the former location of the toll house and turnpike gate. The line ends at the bridge abutments as the route was supposed to continue for a couple of miles and earthworks can be seen across the road but the money ran out. These will be shown in a small 'add-on' board with a pub on it and the embankment in a field behind it.

Trains are usually a 2 coach DMU but these are 3 coaches doubled up on market days. as well as a few goods wagons serving the factory warehouse opposite and the odd locomotive hauled train. There will be a 6 coach platform and an empty space opposite for another, which never got built. I can't find much of an excuse to run a 7 coach mk2 rake as yet but rule number 1 will definitely apply.

I'll be doing a blog on RMWeb and a Youtube video of the build. so keep an eye out.

View attachment 117437

That sounds like a really interesting project. Please do keep us updated with your progress.
I must admit that I do like the particular era you’ve picked as well.

DJ_K666

That sounds like a really interesting project. Please do keep us updated with your progress.
I must admit that I do like the particular era you’ve picked as well.
Thanks Its kind of the best window to have an operational yard, plus I gain a few extra skills and hone a few others. I'm hoping I can get a few exhibition runs out of it.

Thanks Its kind of the best window to have an operational yard, plus I gain a few extra skills and hone a few others. I'm hoping I can get a few exhibition runs out of it.
Update. I picked up the boards, rather more of them than I was expecting. I still need to get one more though and that'll give me the frames. It'll be built using open baseboards with a raised trackbed as there'll be an underbridge. I'm thinking of maybe putting a short end piece on with a couple of scenic dioramas there but that's for later.

Last edited:

Ayman Ilham

As I'm new to the hobby, I decided I wanted to start with a continuous-running loop long enough to fit at least three different stations (each representing a small town) along the line. Of course, the starter sets won't cut it (loops too short for my liking) so I decided to put together my own design based on what could fit on my bedroom floor and fully utilise the space, allowing me to find out which Kato Unitrack pieces I needed. N-Gauge allowed me to get a fair bit of scale distance coverage within that space, and I really love how the trains look at that size. Here is my elongated loop using as many S248 straights as I could fit:
1658325069647.png

After buying the bits and bobs I need, I translated that design to real life:
1658323523561.png
Here is a little clip of how it runs; ran a couple more circuits off-camera for about an hour or so:
View attachment 113601-c22f59271f6d87a26ef2c08424e5a6ca.mp4

Here is a rough plan of what I could turn the layout into:
1658338643958.png
I could have a go at making a couple of buildings myself out of cardboard, although I might buy platform/station objects unless there's a good way to make them with easy-to-obtain materials.

I currently have a 3 coach unit made up of class 110 coaches with a bit of cut and shut on 2 of the coaches.

The unit is painted yellow to represent it working for network rail but here's the kicker, I fitted a pantograph onto the roof of 1 of the motored coaches of which there are 2 and made it a hybrid unit.

It is currently coupled to 4 more class 110 coaches which I tried to do in white with a blue stripe as they were when they were refurbished but my painting of the coaches was not good so I am looking into paint them yellow aswell and making the entire train a hybrid 7 coach unit.

Another project, also involving class 110 coaches is where 4 of the coaches have been rebogied with hornby pullman coach bogies to almost match the powered bogie ( an original class 110 motor bogie ) and it has been made up as a rough version of an articulated 4 coach unit.

Both units are powered by the old X942 hst/class 110 motors converted to cd motors.

I also have done a 6 axle hst style locomotive based around the hst power car body but uses a class 58 chassis which I had adapted to fit the body aswell as the original intention for it was to build a model of the class 89, however, because I couldn't get the nose ends right I abandoned the 89 project and it was set aside for quite a while.

When I started converting the hornby motors to cd motors I had a spare co-co motor available so it was fitted into the class 58 bogies and once wired up to the non powered bogie and checking the polarity was correct, the body was fitted with the guards compartment of another hst powercar body and it was classed as a class 94 locomotive, however mine is done as a class 94/3 as there was a thread on rmweb where another modeller was going to have his fleet as class 94 locomotives and as he was going to have class 94/0, 94/2 & 94/4 locomotives I compromised and opted for class 94/3 which the modeller was more than happy with ( my apologies as I do not know the other modellers name )

20210202_122845.jpg

Here is my class 94 before it had to be renumbered, it now carries the number 94301.

Last edited:

Purple Train

Established Member
I'm currently trying to work out a scheme based in Birmingham in N gauge - the backstory to the (fictitious) route is very detailed and complex (as I would expect from myself), but the practical side of things is less so - I'm still trying to work out the best trackplan for the area I have (about 10ft 6in by 2ft, increasing to about 2ft 6in at the other end), and then get to actually clearing away all the rubbish from the allotted area and get to work. Basically, the story goes that after the GWR had subsumed the Snow Hill lines in 1870, they had looked at building a link in to Halesowen. They had a couple of possible routes for this, one of which diverged in the Smethwick area and ran via Rowley Regis and Oldbury, and one which diverged at Old Hill. They chose the latter option, and the independent Halesowen Railway extended the line to Northfield. The route closed to passengers in 1919, but the track was only lifted in 1964, as the line continued to serve the Austin Longbridge car-manufacturing works until 1960.
So much for the truth.
Soon after the route was closed to passengers in 1919, the LMS and GWR, who now owned it jointly, explored the possibility of reopening it. However, it was eventually decided that it didn't serve enough of the sprawling suburbs of Birmingham. They therefore decided to construct a joint line that diverged near Smethwick and looped round to the north, serving Brades Village (and thereby also Tividale, though they were more immediately served by Dudley Port station), before going through Rowley Regis, crossing the Snow Hill-Kidderminster line again, and go through Halesowen, before joining the LMS Birmingham to Gloucester line at Longbridge. The line eventually opened in 1926, with one of the stations, at Frankley Village, closing in 1943. It provided a useful secondary route for freight, and provided passenger interworking between Snow Hill and New Street, which were both used as termini for the line, and several express services were pathed along the branch, most stopping only at the two principal stations of Halesowen and Oldbury. With the decline of services through Snow Hill, the possibility of running services from New Street along the branch was discounted by Beeching, who recommended the withdrawal of stopping services and closure of all stations apart from Halesowen and Oldbury. This was duly accomplished in 1966, together with track rationalisation - Langley Green junction, where the line diverged from the Snow Hill-Kidderminster line, was converted to a single lead junction, with Oldbury station itself singled. The line fell into a rapid decline and by 1979 was served by only six trains a day, with freight to the Albright & Wilson works at Oldbury the main traffic. There were further whispers of closure in 1981, but the rebirth of Snow Hill led to renewed optimism. The Cross-City line electrification project in 1993 was expanded to include the line between New Street and Longbridge via Halesowen (with the Snow Hill line remaining dieselised) and a regular service started from New Street in 1993 and from Snow Hill (additionally to New Street) as part of the Jewellery Line improvements in 1995, a package which included new stations (mostly on the site of the old stations) and an intensive service.
Being a colossal block of text driven by imagination and ridiculously obsessive detail, naturally it doesn't say much about the layout plan. Basically, I'm going to model Oldbury station. As you won't have gleaned from the text because it was so boring you skim-read it, the junction just before Oldbury station was singled in the 60s. The station lies on the single-track section, and the second track diverges just after it, creating a sizeable bottleneck. Stopping trains run from a new bay platform opened on the site of the old second through platform, and the track layout is further complicated by the existence of a siding for freight trains serving Albright & Wilson's chemical works (which is imagined to be still the site it was at the zenith of industry). The service pattern is extremely intensive, and it is also popularly requested for charters, as it links several of Birmingham's railways, and, in the modern day, it is served by six TOCs. (This is actually because I wanted to basically run everything, not because all the services were feasible, such as the idea of Avanti West Coast running Redditch-Euston.) As I said, I haven't got very far with this, but it's a project that's been in the back of my mind for some time and I wondered if anyone had any historical detail that I've missed.
(Before anyone asks, no, I don't know what to do for rolling stock - I'm hoping I might be able to scratchbuild a couple of inaccurate 323s given their body shape is fairly simple. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do for Snow Hill stock? (I'm not really bothered about the other TOCs, I can replace their services with others if needs be.))

Ted633

After seeing a video on YouTube by Everard Junction about how to create a centre car for a Thumper from an EPB, I've decided to give it a go. However, instead of binning the motor coach, that is being turned into a Gatwick Express GLV.

This is what I started with. Bought a number of years ago from Hattons in the bargain bin for £80.
IMG_20220811_113507.jpg

I removed the coupling mechanism from the motor coach and cut a new slot in the driving end of the trailer. This is to enable electrical connectivity throughout the unit. The coupling was then glued in place
IMG_20220818_144126.jpg

Circuit board refitted and all wired upIMG_20220818_144142.jpg

And it all actually works!
IMG_20220818_164202.jpgIMG_20220818_164212.jpg

Onto the body shell, I decided not to do a full cut and shut as others have done, and went for smoothing over the cab end. Here it is awaiting sanding and primer
IMG_20220818_164844.jpg

Onto the GLV. Chassis wise, this is much simpler as both the bogies already have standard couplers (no need for electrical connections to the Mk2's). Only other work was to remove the gearbox and motor to enable it to be free rolling and to try to keep the weight down a bit.
IMG_20220818_164751.jpg

The bodywork is a bit more involved though, with numerous windows and door apertures to be filled. I've only gone for roughly where all the openings would be as I am not overly fussed on it being 100% correct. Here it is awaiting sanding down
IMG_20220818_164857.jpg

More to come as I get around to it

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
After seeing a video on YouTube by Everard Junction about how to create a centre car for a Thumper from an EPB, I've decided to give it a go. However, instead of binning the motor coach, that is being turned into a Gatwick Express GLV.

This is what I started with. Bought a number of years ago from Hattons in the bargain bin for £80.
View attachment 119388

I removed the coupling mechanism from the motor coach and cut a new slot in the driving end of the trailer. This is to enable electrical connectivity throughout the unit. The coupling was then glued in place
View attachment 119394

Circuit board refitted and all wired upView attachment 119392

View attachment 119393View attachment 119390

Onto the body shell, I decided not to do a full cut and shut as others have done, and went for smoothing over the cab end. Here it is awaiting sanding and primer
View attachment 119391

Onto the GLV. Chassis wise, this is much simpler as both the bogies already have standard couplers (no need for electrical connections to the Mk2's). Only other work was to remove the gearbox and motor to enable it to be free rolling and to try to keep the weight down a bit.
View attachment 119389

The bodywork is a bit more involved though, with numerous windows and door apertures to be filled. I've only gone for roughly where all the openings would be as I am not overly fussed on it being 100% correct. Here it is awaiting sanding down
View attachment 119395

That’s really good (and fairly brave!) work Ted. Most impressed at the progress so far.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 119388

View attachment 119394

Circuit board refitted and all wired upView attachment 119392

View attachment 119393View attachment 119390

View attachment 119391

View attachment 119389

View attachment 119395

This is exactly the sort of modelling work which I really love seeing - I find it amazing how people such as yourself manage to make all this stock out of other examples! Loving the idea of turning the spare driving car into a GLV, too. Looking forward to seeing further updates! :)

-Peter

Ted633

Thumper centre coach and GLV update.

Here are the two bodies awaiting priming after a good sand down
IMG_20220823_163117.jpg

And here is the result after priming. Fairly happy with it, but you can still see some of the window outlines/lumps and the old indicator box outline is still visible. (May not be obvious in the photo, but it is up close)
IMG_20220823_180505.jpg

Going to give a few bits another sand down and have another go.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 119688

And here is the result after priming. Fairly happy with it, but you can still see some of the window outlines/lumps and the old indicator box outline is still visible. (May not be obvious in the photo, but it is up close)
View attachment 119687

It’s not far off though is it? A little bit more work and it should look great.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 119688

View attachment 119687

Those look really good so far - I suppose with the indicator box, when it comes to putting the actual livery on it might cover it up a little bit? Especially if the ends are painted black? Also loving the GLV!

-Peter

Ted633

Those look really good so far - I suppose with the indicator box, when it comes to putting the actual livery on it might cover it up a little bit? Especially if the ends are painted black? Also loving the GLV!

-Peter
Yes, the livery probably would of covered the indicator box (and even if it didn't, it's not going to be seen easily anyway), but as I needed to do some more sanding and filling on the GLV, then I thought I may as well. Also realised I had to sort the GLV's roof out as they didn't have the roof pipes (?) that the EPBs and Thumpers had.
Here are the finished articles, now ready for livery application. There are a couple of minor imperfections, but only noticeable if you look closely. And as you say, the livery will cover some of them up. Connex livery is going to be fun mind...

IMG_20220827_125725.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, the livery probably would of covered the indicator box (and even if it didn't, it's not going to be seen easily anyway), but as I needed to do some more sanding and filling on the GLV, then I thought I may as well. Also realised I had to sort the GLV's roof out as they didn't have the roof pipes (?) that the EPBs and Thumpers had.
Here are the finished articles, now ready for livery application. There are a couple of minor imperfections, but only noticeable if you look closely. And as you say, the livery will cover some of them up. Connex livery is going to be fun mind...

View attachment 119939
They're looking very nice indeed - a nice uniform finish on both of them, which is one of the key parts I suppose.
I wondered if you could get some transfers for the Fiddly Bits (TM) on the Connex livery, but a quick Google search brought up no results, which surprised me; you'd have thought someone would have done something at least for the fade-out bits on the ends of the yellow section?

-Peter

Ted633

They're looking very nice indeed - a nice uniform finish on both of them, which is one of the key parts I suppose.
I wondered if you could get some transfers for the Fiddly Bits (TM) on the Connex livery, but a quick Google search brought up no results, which surprised me; you'd have thought someone would have done something at least for the fade-out bits on the ends of the yellow section?

-Peter
Yes, transfers would be easier. It's not exactly a common livery though. More of a problem though, phoenix or Railmatch don't even do Connex yellow paint! Just have to see what I can do with the yellow warning paint I have.

malc-c

Nerve damage in my lower back has caused me to take things a bit slower than I hoped, but over the weekend the servos had their micro switches fitted and the frog wiring is complete for the goods yard (the 08 won't be venturing onto the main lines so the switches aren't needed, but I have spares if I choose otherwise).

The wiring won't wing any beauty prizes, but it works. I may look at revising the servo mount design to allow the micro switches to fit, but for now using squares of car to pack them out to the same thickness of the point motors base works !

Next stage is to add the sleepers to the gaps in the track, and then play trains for a while to fully test the track and operation, before moving onto the platforms and scenic stuff

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-26 at 14.51.01.jpeg

Ted633

Been a while since I last updated on the Thumper / GLV project, but livery painting does take a while!

Firstly, the Thumper centre coach. I painted the yellow band and the blue sole bar, and then attempted to do a single thin line (instead of four!) to give the fade effect. I was trying to convince myself it looked ok, but if you have to convince yourself, then it probably isn't good enough. So, I'm having another go. This is what it looks like at the moment, doing a rather good impression one in preservation before restoration!

IMG_20220927_153701.jpg

The GLV on the other hand, livery is complete. Markings and weathering still to do before rebuild though.

IMG_20220927_153809.jpg

8A Rail

Established Member
Only just come across this thread and I have a small 'N' gauge railway based on the UK modern scene 1990's onwards. The layout is called 'Halsnead Dale' and features a station, loco depot and some sidings too. I have been working slowly on the layout for 4/5 years now and now beginning to look the part (fiddle yard completed too), although still a little work to do with regards to scenery and numerous incidental items too. Three images are below, taken in February this year with hopefully more work to be carried out over the winter.

52344190978_f5415a96f4_c.jpg

52343936761_871b1eebe7_z.jpg
52344354925_fe726f7bb6_z.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
Nerve damage in my lower back has caused me to take things a bit slower than I hoped, but over the weekend the servos had their micro switches fitted and the frog wiring is complete for the goods yard (the 08 won't be venturing onto the main lines so the switches aren't needed, but I have spares if I choose otherwise).

The wiring won't wing any beauty prizes, but it works. I may look at revising the servo mount design to allow the micro switches to fit, but for now using squares of car to pack them out to the same thickness of the point motors base works !

Next stage is to add the sleepers to the gaps in the track, and then play trains for a while to fully test the track and operation, before moving onto the platforms and scenic stuff

View attachment 121315
Looks good enough to me and that's amazing that it's all working great- well done!

Been a while since I last updated on the Thumper / GLV project, but livery painting does take a while!

Firstly, the Thumper centre coach. I painted the yellow band and the blue sole bar, and then attempted to do a single thin line (instead of four!) to give the fade effect. I was trying to convince myself it looked ok, but if you have to convince yourself, then it probably isn't good enough. So, I'm having another go. This is what it looks like at the moment, doing a rather good impression one in preservation before restoration!

View attachment 121344

The GLV on the other hand, livery is complete. Markings and weathering still to do before rebuild though.

View attachment 121345
The top one is instantly recognisable as connex to me! Great work on both so well done!

Only just come across this thread and I have a small 'N' gauge railway based on the UK modern scene 1990's onwards. The layout is called 'Halsnead Dale' and features a station, loco depot and some sidings too. I have been working slowly on the layout for 4/5 years now and now beginning to look the part (fiddle yard completed too), although still a little work to do with regards to scenery and numerous incidental items too. Three images are below, taken in February this year with hopefully more work to be carried out over the winter.

Now that is nice, looks like a layout that's got plenty of operational variety in a small space. All credit to you for achieving that in N gauge, I'd lack the dexterity and patience for that.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

View attachment 121344

View attachment 121345

Each time I see pictures of this project I'm equally impressed as I am ponderous at whether the tiling in the background is my handiwork in the former Regional Railways patch!

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 121315
I hope you're feeling better soon @malc-c - sounds rotten but at least you've managed to get that work done. It looks to be a good job you've done there. :)

View attachment 121344

View attachment 121345
That Connex livery is a particularly nice: and the GLV has a very good finish to it as well. Have you used a paintbrush or an airbrush, if I may ask?

Ooooooh, I'm liking that! I like a good depot layout, and the station is a lovely touch too. Definitely looking forward to seeing further developments on this one. :)

-Peter

Ted633

That Connex livery is a particularly nice: and the GLV has a very good finish to it as well. Have you used a paintbrush or an airbrush, if I may ask

-Peter
Used an airbrush mostly, alongside a fine brush to correct any imperfections

malc-c

I hope you're feeling better soon @malc-c - sounds rotten but at least you've managed to get that work done. It looks to be a good job you've done there.

-Peter
Thanks Peter. It's manageable with pain relief. Just waiting for an appointment to see a specialist and have a scan / MRI. Not sure what they could do, but at least I'll know what I've done to it.

I'm looking to order some ballast, plasticard and a few other odds and sods later this week, and do some more to the layout over the coming weeks once I'm happy with the running

RichJF

Been hacking & fitting all my 1990s-vintage Lima diesels with micro tension lock couplings.

Yes it can be done - with a VERY careful hand, sharp craft knife, plasticard & superglue...

IMG_20221003_163452.jpg

Just noticed the blue cab line on my custom livery 20 is rough, so will tidy that up :)

reddragon

Established Member
Been hacking & fitting all my 1990s-vintage Lima diesels with micro tension lock couplings.

Yes it can be done - with a VERY careful hand, sharp craft knife, plasticard & superglue...

View attachment 121601

Just noticed the blue cab line on my custom livery 20 is rough, so will tidy that up :)
Never got the courage to try! Lima are such good models, easy to maintain & great on DCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.