• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you need to self isolate if not tracked and traced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
If you're a close contact in Scotland it is said you must self isolate.

But is this only the case if you are contacted by NHS track and trace?

Leaving the moral arguments aside for a moment, if I knew a member of my household tested positive on a Lateral flow device but I was negative, would I legally be able to carry on about my daily life until contacted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

Leaving the moral arguments aside for a moment, if I knew a member of my household tested positive on a Lateral flow device but I was negative, would I legally be able to carry on about my daily life until contacted?
There is no legal requirement to self-isolate in Scotland whatsoever, even if you test positive. The entire isolation system is just guidance. :)

Crossover

Established Member

I thought Sturgeon had brought this in line with England now? Presuming you're vaccinated (2 doses), in England life can carry on as normal unless you're positive yourself (subject to advisory LFD's for 7 days). I know Scotland was different but I know changes have been made recently.
Being contacted through T&T doesn't change it

Unvaccinated is naturally different (although questionably enforceable even then!)

Established Member
I thought Sturgeon had brought this in line with England now? Presuming you're vaccinated (2 doses), in England life can carry on as normal unless you're positive yourself (subject to advisory LFD's for 7 days). I know Scotland was different but I know changes have been made recently.
Being contacted through T&T doesn't change it

Unvaccinated is naturally different (although questionably enforceable even then!)
Apparently you have to have had 3 doses for it to count. The whole thing is a joke.

Crossover

Established Member
Apparently you have to have had 3 doses for it to count. The whole thing is a joke.
Is that just a Scottish thing or has it crept into England as well (wouldn’t be surprised if so, we could see it coming a mile off!)

island

Veteran Member
Is that just a Scottish thing or has it crept into England as well (wouldn’t be surprised if so, we could see it coming a mile off!)
This aspect of Scottish guidance has not yet been replicated in the other UK nations; however, as Huntergreed correctly states, Scotland has no legal requirement to self-isolate if you test positive or are a close contact.

Established Member
This aspect of Scottish guidance has not yet been replicated in the other UK nations; however, as Huntergreed correctly states, Scotland has no legal requirement to self-isolate if you test positive or are a close contact.
Thank you Island, I was hoping you would be along to confirm this.

Now for a potentially long battle with my employer...

island

Veteran Member
Thank you Island, I was hoping you would be along to confirm this.

Now for a potentially long battle with my employer...
Needless to say, your employer is entitled to set their own policies, and may well choose to follow Scottish government guidance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Needless to say, your employer is entitled to set their own policies, and may well choose to follow Scottish government guidance.
Although I would expect they would be limited to restricting you at work (e.g. they may request you do not come into work for a period of time), but would not be able to prevent you attending social events or going anywhere you wanted to go, in your own time.

eoff

You only have to look at the current scottish government website to see how confusing this is...

Positive cases​

Positive cases are advised to self-isolate for 10 days. However, if the individual returns two consecutive negative LFD tests taken at least 24 hours apart with the first test no earlier than day 6 they may end isolation before the end of the 10 day period if they have no fever.

Close contacts​

Close contacts who are fully vaccinated, having received 3 doses of the vaccination (plus 14 days) or are aged under 18 years and 4 months, can take daily LFD tests for 7 days instead of isolation - provided the tests are negative and they remains without symptoms. If someone has not received 3 doses of the vaccination, they will need to book a PCR test and even if this is a negative result, they will need to isolate for 10 days.

So based on this, if you test positive then isolation is 'advised', but for close contacts they might 'need' to isolate.
As noted, as far as I can see there is no legal requirement for any of this isolation advice to be followed. I was not aware of any new legislation since the end of last year which would add new requirements but I might have not noticed.
All along the SNP government have made statements about what people were required to do that were plainly false when made. I looked at the actual legislation a few times to see this and now I no longer bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.