• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you think that the UK switching to electric vehicles is realistic?

corfield

The cars I've used with it will allow overtaking and lane changes as long as you indicate. You should be indicating if you will cross the centre line anyway.
Not what my police driving instructor (note I wasnt police, this was private arrangement) taught me, which was to assess every other vehicle and whether they would benefit from me signalling. If nobody would, dont.

The aim being to ingrain that constant assessement of all other vehicles and the massive safety benefits that generates.

Auto signalling is a terrible habit to have.

These systems also directly act against necessary emergency manouevres. They’re very much “not safe” in my mind and I have never really noticed any issue with I or others departing my/their lane that wasnt fatigue/drink related anyway where the vastly bigger problem is driving in that state.

I turn the things off immediately and refused a hire car where it couldnt be (or at least neither myself or the agent could work out how).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
While that's true, as we transition away from ICE to EV, all of the tech will eventually apply only to electric. Because of safety ratings, this tech will end up on even the most basic entry level models (unless the car maker is happy to sell a 0-1 rated car). Take the Dacia Spring as an example, which will likely get these features so as not to be zero rated.
But that is nothing to do with the thread title: "do you think that the uk switching to electric vehicles is realistic?", which not mean the sperad of electronic safety devices that are derived from recent design and construction regulations that apply equally to both electric cars and cars propelled by other means. Safety ratings are not related to propulsion modes except for a few detailed issues regarding hazardous fuels and even batteries. Those die hard pertrolheads who in 10 years will be looking at niche methods of procuring IC vehicles will still have to accept lane control etc. features where relevant.

jon0844

Veteran Member
By all means report my post(s) if you feel it should be removed, but I think there has to be some allowance of discussions about things relating to the cars to help people make a decision or share opinions on whether people are going to switch. If people think that all this tech is going to be a nightmare, they may opt to keep with a simple ICE car (there are many older tech cars still on sale) and cite that as a reason.

I feel that even the Dacia Spring is going to have these features to get a reasonable score, and that will mean there may not be many EVs that you can avoid it. I'd say the Citroen Ami but that's not really a proper car. Older cars can likely retain their original scores, akin to grandfather rights, so will remain until such time that people have switched.

jon81uk

Not what my police driving instructor (note I wasnt police, this was private arrangement) taught me, which was to assess every other vehicle and whether they would benefit from me signalling. If nobody would, dont.

Whereas my regular driving instructor taught me always to indicate even if you couldn't obviously see another car as there might be pedestrians or cyclists who would benefit from knowing your intentions. If you are overtaking then there is another vehicle who I would expect it is good practice to inform them of your intention to overtake them before you cross the white lines down the centre of the road.

corfield

Whereas my regular driving instructor taught me always to indicate even if you couldn't obviously see another car as there might be pedestrians or cyclists who would benefit from knowing your intentions.
That’s just lazy and poor instruction. You should be taught to see these people and/or account for them in your assessment of unsighted of areas. I was.

As a fail safe it doesnt even work as if you are happily ignorant of someone who has a genuine interaction with you then how are you manoeuvring safely in the first place…

If you are overtaking then there is another vehicle who I would expect it is good practice to inform them of your intention to overtake them before you cross the white lines down the centre of the road.
Hard to imagine you could come to the reasonable judgement that overtaking someone would see nobody benefiting from indicating…

Although past cyclists or fixed obstructions do pop to mind.

Into (long) turn/filter lanes requires crossing a line and yet often there is no need to indicate as being in that lane at the turn point (on say lights control) is more than sufficient.

Complex junctions see one crossing many lines without indicating, indeed indicators will often flip to off when you want them still on if manoeuvring. On large junctions this can be at speed (30-40).

These systems now require us to do something different so they can properly work. That is the antithesis of their purpose and a good approach to safety. Hence why I turn them off as the problem they “solve” has never actually been a problem anyway.

Indeed if people drive fatigued, the temptation to do that more is encouraged because “the car will keep me safe if I nod off”. As I’ve heard a colleague literally say about their long weekly commute.

The only reason we have them is as guinea pigs to develop self driving car technology for the future. Nothing to do with safety now.

DC1989

Are electric cars 'easier' to drive? I suppose the question really is are modern (automatic) cars easier to drive than say, a 04 plate?

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I'd say a tiny touch easier than an automatic; all other things equal (i.e. with the same driver aids and so on). Subtle; not a huge difference.

Because: an electric transmission is always engaged and always in the right gear (for there is typically only the one). There is no use of a clutch or torque converter or fluid flywheel or (etc., - the components of an ICE transmission) because an electric motor can and does produce power right from 0 rpm ("stalled") and does not need to be either kept spinning at a few 100 rpm or be electrically started before it will work, and does not need different gear ratios. Electric motors are routinely stopped completely when the car isn't moving (because it's still in gear and there is no clutch or equivalent) and it doesn't affect them or their ability to propel the car.

It means that there is never any hesitation (however brief) while the transmission engages the motor and puts itself into the right gear for your actions, no hesitation (however brief) during acceleration as the gears shift and no similar hesitation (however brief) during "kickdown" for sudden acceleration as the gearbox changes itself down. All the power it has is available to you at the wheels immediately, all the time.

Whilst the driving method (two pedals) is fundamentally the same, it's perhaps important to recognise that EVs are not "automatic" in the true sense. "Automatic" suggests that something that is needed is done for you; that something being - disengaging the engine while it continues to turn over and changing gear. In an EV that something simply isn't needed - so it doesn't happen at all.

trebor79

Established Member
Are electric cars 'easier' to drive? I suppose the question really is are modern (automatic) cars easier to drive than say, a 04 plate?
Much, much nicer to drive than an automatic. No slushiness when you push the accelerator, no trying to constantly creep forward when stopped. Just instant torque and power delivered the instant you squeeze the pedal.
I barely use the brakes, basically only use the brake pedal if I've misjudged stopping distance or something unexpected has happened ahead.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Much, much nicer to drive than an automatic. No slushiness when you push the accelerator, no trying to constantly creep forward when stopped. Just instant torque and power delivered the instant you squeeze the pedal.
I barely use the brakes, basically only use the break pedal if I've misjudged stopping distance or something unexpected has happened ahead.
I'm exactly the same. Can't remember the last time I touched the brake.

pdq

so your car decelerates a lot and no red light to the rear to tell other road users you are slowing?
Brake lights come on automatically depending on the rate of deceleration, or if the brake itself is pressed.