• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone restore old semaphore signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AngelRoad

You could try Joe Nemeth at Junction Railwayana. He deals in railwayana but has an engineering and restoration company on the same site, plus he’s crazy about signalling kit. Check out his website which is easy to find. Ive dealt with him for several years and can recommend him.

John Webb

Established Member
We've had experience at St Albans South, but regret we can't take on external work - we're struggling at present to get things ready for when the Covid restrictions are further eased and we can reopen to the public!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
You could try Joe Nemeth at Junction Railwayana. He deals in railwayana but has an engineering and restoration company on the same site, plus he’s crazy about signalling kit. Check out his website which is easy to find. Ive dealt with him for several years and can recommend him.
Hi yes, I've tried him but again, time is not kind

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Couple of questions if I may:

What is the type of metal used for standard BR semaphore arms?

What is the precise shade of red used for the front of the arm? (Presume any white or black will suffice for the rear?)

I note the spectacles are now plastic, rather than glass. What is the best method/materials for cleaning without further scratching?

John Webb

Established Member
The signal arms are steel with stove-baked enamel on from the ones I've looked at. The colours are defined somewhere but I can't recall the reference I saw a while ago.
The spectacles use perspex. I think the Unipart spares list still has them available. Cleaning is best by warm water with detergent applied with a soft sponge. With time the the surface oxidises and appears white in colour; not certain if this can be cleaned off easily - haven't tried anything yet.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The signal arms are steel with stove-baked enamel on from the ones I've looked at. The colours are defined somewhere but I can't recall the reference I saw a while ago.
The relevant Group Standard is GK/RT0057 which specifies the colours of the various elements of semaphore arms as:

Red - BS 4008-2011 shade 04-E-53 Poppy
White - BS 4008-2011 shade 00-E-55 White
Black - BS 4008-2011 shade 00-E-53 Black
Yellow - BS 4008-2011 shade 08-E-51 Golden Yellow

John Webb

Established Member
Thank you guys, really useful to know

Guess I'm going to have to be really careful with the sanding, so as to not take the enamel off (like teeth...)
Fine (600 or higher) wet and dry paper used wet and hand-applied I've found seems to work well if rust is in limited areas. Dry off with kitchen paper every few minutes so you can see how far you've got; and apply some form of protective undercoat at once to protect the cleaned area(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.