• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dominic Cummings gets to have his say on the Covid crisis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Looks like there's more content from (or at least related to) the interview on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p08dqbpn
The interview on BBC Two last night was an hour, and there looks to be about two-and-a-half hours in podcast form but how much of it is an extended version of the interview, and how much of it is extra stuff (the "Covid Confidential" sections say they feature "exclusive interviews with the Labour leader Keir Starmer and the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock."), I don't know.

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
If Cummings is lying here, then Johnson could deny it and sue for libel. However, in the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57854811 this is the only denial of a fact:

That is a very specific denial of a single incident. If most things in this section were true but there was something which was not, then the denial would be true. Perhaps a very similar incident did take place.

I don't trust either of them, but for the statements in this article, I believe Cummings.
Regarding the proposed meeting with the Queen, I also tend to believe Cummings simply because it was a similar time to when he boasted at one of the news conferences about visiting Covid wards and shaking hands with patients ('as you would expect').

I also believe Cummings on the second lockdown. SAGE called in September 2020 for a lockdown during the October half term. A couple of weeks later Starmer picked it up at PMQ. Johnson reacts in November.

nlogax

Established Member
The only time anyone really needs to concern themselves with what Cummings has to say will be at the inevitable Covid inquiry. Until then these media appearances are mainly useful to help us figure out whether he's any good at telling the truth.

takno

Established Member
The only time anyone really needs to concern themselves with what Cummings has to say will be at the inevitable Covid inquiry. Until then these media appearances are mainly useful to help us figure out whether he's any good at telling the truth.
I heard that he won a truth-telling contest as a child, with a heart-warming story about his girlfriend, who you won't know because she goes to a different school.

Seriously, I strongly suspect that the reason he can mix obvious lies and likely truths with such fluency is that he doesn't know the difference himself. He seems to live entirely in a self-constructed fiction where he is the hero, and anything bad which happens was a result of other people not bowing to his well-established genius. That's almost the textbook definition of an unreliable witness.

Gloster

Established Member
He seems to live entirely in a self-constructed fiction where he is the hero, and anything bad which happens was a result of other people not bowing to his well-established genius. That's almost the textbook definition of an unreliable witness.
It also sounds like a description of his former boss. Or was he his subordinate? (The male one, not the female one, who also though she was the king (queen?) pin or chief nut-nut.)

wireforever

When does his book come out and will it sell more copies than the Harry and Megan book. Will the works sell both at a greatly reduced price!

Typhoon

Established Member
When does his book come out and will it sell more copies than the Harry and Megan book. Will the works sell both at a greatly reduced price!
I'll borrow it from the library.. As its a modern day 'Punch and Judy', I expect to find it in the humour section!

DerekC

Established Member
I doubt if Cummings includes outright lies in his interviews. He is presenting a doctored version of the truth from his supremely arrogant perspective.

I think that's right, for everyone except Boris Johnson. Boris can face any immediate cockup down without embarrassment, emit some bullsh*t and move on, but the drip, drip of just how incompetent he is will undermine him in the end. It's just a question of if he can make it through to the next election and then retire in a cloud of glory to have fun and make money. Cummings is clearly determined that he shouldn't.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Regarding the proposed meeting with the Queen, I also tend to believe Cummings simply because it was a similar time to when he boasted at one of the news conferences about visiting Covid wards and shaking hands with patients ('as you would expect').

I also believe Cummings on the second lockdown. SAGE called in September 2020 for a lockdown during the October half term. A couple of weeks later Starmer picked it up at PMQ. Johnson reacts in November.
Watch PMQs yesterday Johnson didn't deny rather sought to explain the situation he was faced with and trying to find the right balance. That tells me Cummings is saying it as it was. Trouble is he's discredited so no ones listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.