• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

backontrack

Established Member
Donald Trump's inauguration takes place today.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Annoyed that Bruce Springsteen wouldn't play, I think 'Born In The USA' would be a good song to perform because we all know it's about how great America is don't we ;)

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I really could not care less about America any more. The country is so far gone that the only feasible option is to bomb it off the face of the planet and restart the entire place from scratch. <D

Still reckon we'll get a President Mike Pence before the year's out, whether that's through Drumpf quitting or being impeached remains to be seen.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
You think that millions of people should be killed because you don't like the new order - what does that make you ?

The <D smiley at the end of my post suggests I wasn't being entirely serious. :roll:

But yeah, really I am totally sick of America. Have been for many years. I think Obama did his best to change the country for the better, but the entrenched religious rubbish and their bloody constitution means nothing will ever really change. The country needs a total reset.

Maybe America should become a British colony again, that would be much better. :P

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It seems rather unfortunate that this event will likely be overshadowed by the start of procurement of the HS2 train fleet.

Totally agree. Terrible miscalculation by someone in the Trump circle to have arranged the event the same day, so that all news about the inauguration will end up completely drowned out by the headlines across the World about HS2 procurement. Maybe they'll become better at news management once his presidency beds in. :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The only inauguration I bothered to watch was President Clinton's - and that was mainly because Fleetwood Mac were playing. Unfortunately the BBC managed to miss that bit out of their coverage.

fowler9

Established Member
What are you no longer free to do?

Be a racist, send your kids down the mines to work, beat your wife, invade other countries to create an Empire, treat people who work for you however you like with them having no recourse, die because you can't afford treatment. Etc. etc.

Hopefully when we leave the EU we can get back to the good old days. :D

As for Trump I find it difficult to fathom how your average hard working American voted for him. He is a shining example of too few people having too much of the worlds wealth.

Last edited:

Established Member
RIP Planet Earth :P

1 hour till the big red button is in the hands of a lunatic.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What are you no longer free to do?

I will gladly admit the following sounds very tin foil hat but as far as my personal politics go, it is how I honestly feel.

I will happily admit in the sense of your traditional freedoms the UK (and indeed most of the West) fare reasonably well, however I see the likes of Named Person in Scotland, the Investigatory Powers Act, and people getting visits off the police for saying a mean word on the internet and it is evident individual liberty is being encroached. All of that coupled with the fact that Theresa May is somewhat authoritarian and has made it clear on a number of occasions that she disagrees with individuality and libertarianism, plus the fact that seemingly no other mainstream party in the UK prolifically oppose a lot of the aforementioned issues means I genuinely do not see where the trend ends or who or what there is to stop the gradual expansion of the state's power over individuals.

fowler9

Established Member
I will gladly admit the following sounds very tin foil hat but as far as my personal politics go, it is how I honestly feel.

I will happily admit in the sense of your traditional freedoms the UK (and indeed most of the West) fare reasonably well, however I see the likes of Named Person in Scotland, the Investigatory Powers Act, and people getting visits off the police for saying a mean word on the internet and it is evident individual liberty is being encroached. All of that coupled with the fact that Theresa May is somewhat authoritarian and has made it clear on a number of occasions that she disagrees with individuality and libertarianism, plus the fact that seemingly no other mainstream party in the UK prolifically oppose a lot of the aforementioned issues means I genuinely do not see where the trend ends or who or what there is to stop the gradual expansion of the state's power over individuals.

The thing is what individual freedoms do Americans still have apart from the right to bare arms? It is the most bonkers one they have that so many are fanatical about keeping. They still have all the other stuff we put up with, police calling at your house because you Googled Pressure Cookers etc. Trump said he wants to build a wall across the south and to have a register of all Muslims, doesn't sound very free to me.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
RIP Planet Earth :P

1 hour till the big red button is in the hands of a lunatic.

Not that it's much consolation, but 2 hours (1:45 as I type). He is sworn in at noon in Washington, 1700 GMT

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The thing is what individual freedoms do Americans still have apart from the right to bare arms? It is the most bonkers one they have that so many are fanatical about keeping. They still have all the other stuff we put up with, police calling at your house because you Googled Pressure Cookers etc. Trump said he wants to build a wall across the south and to have a register of all Muslims, doesn't sound very free to me.

I detest Trump and agree he won't do anything to alleviate any of what I've just said and if anything goes against a lot of the founding principals (for example, I thoroughly believe being able to burn the American flag, which he I believes wishes to outlaw, should be legal as it is the symbol of just how seriously they wished to take the freedom of expression); unfortunately for America and the Democrats they nominated the only person in the country with more controversy and dirty laundry than him and as such lost. I support the Constitution more as a concept than America's application of it.

Domh245

Established Member
And just like that, it is done.

And it begins to rain just minutes after he's been sworn in.

Last edited:

miami

Established Member
Anyone notice the US military firing a canon 21 times? They missed with every one! I thought they were supposed to be the best?

fowler9

Established Member
I detest Trump and agree he won't do anything to alleviate any of what I've just said and if anything goes against a lot of the founding principals (for example, I thoroughly believe being able to burn the American flag, which he I believes wishes to outlaw, should be legal as it is the symbol of just how seriously they wished to take the freedom of expression); unfortunately for America and the Democrats they nominated the only person in the country with more controversy and dirty laundry than him and as such lost. I support the Constitution more as a concept than America's application of it.

The constitution is a nice idea but is a load of bobbins. For example the second amendment. As an amendment it surely refers to a change to the constitution yet many Americans who love guns do not want it amended because it is in their constitution and it is their right. Surely if the second amendment was an amendment the constitution can be changed?

miami

Established Member
The constitution is a nice idea but is a load of bobbins. For example the second amendment. As an amendment it surely refers to a change to the constitution yet many Americans who love guns do not want it amended because it is in their constitution and it is their right. Surely if the second amendment was an amendment the constitution can be changed?

Of course the constitution can be changed, by design it's not easy (to allow a powerful president with a party that controls both houses, and control over the supreme court, and control over most of the states to change it), but it's not impossible. They banned alcohol for example with one ammendement. Then later they unbanned it.