• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster Sheffield Airport Rail Link Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Was this another White Elephant perhaps like Sheffield Airport. To me that area seems quite well served for airports, having Leeds, Manchester and indeed Humberside not that far away, also Tees-Side, Newcastle and Liverpool too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrianW

Established Member
Was this another White Elephant perhaps like Sheffield Airport. To me that area seems quite well served for airports, having Leeds, Manchester and indeed Humberside not that far away, also Tees-Side, Newcastle and Liverpool too?
Maybe a candidate for 'Levelling Up' funding (or whatever the incoming PM will dub some exciting new project/ programme)?
I would like to see a 'business case' once the existing 'competition' is stuffed to the gunnels and buses from this 'vital' regional airport to some existing railway station are getting regularly overloaded.
Call me unimaginative; dreaming on ... without 'spending hardworking taxpayers money'. Zzzzz ....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Teesside seems to be just as much a basket case. Maybe in future local authorities should concentrate on their core responsibilities rather than vanity projects.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Are you sure that you should have included Tees-Side in that list? Some people refer to it as the Marie Celeste of UK airports...:rolleyes:

snowball

Established Member
Are you sure that you should have included Tees-Side in that list? Some people refer to it as the Marie Celeste of UK airports...:rolleyes:
The ghost ship was called Mary Celeste. Marie Celeste was a fictionalised version by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Andrew1395

My mother in law lives in Finningley. We could park up on her drive and get a taxi to the airport. With the daughter living near Newark. Guess what she always flies from Luton as the prices are cheaper than flights from Birmingham, EMA or Manchester. Would we/she use Finningley? Only if it is cheaper. At the moment its offer is less attractive than Southend.

westv

Established Member
There are hardly any flights from Humberside airport.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There are hardly any flights from Humberside airport.
Shame about lack of flights from Humberside and Teesside as mentioned above, at one time they used to be fairly busy.
Not many trains, if any now, call at Teesside Airport Station either.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Teesside seems to be just as much a basket case. Maybe in future local authorities should concentrate on their core responsibilities rather than vanity projects.
But how else was the Combined Authority Tory mayor supposed to win his election unless he used public money to bring it back into public ownership? Vanity project? Its the key factor in keeping himself in power and the funding taps open for people associated with him!

BrianW

Established Member
People are able to vote for their 'representatives' with or without vanity projects.

People are able to spend their own money on 'vanity projects' subject to the planning approval of local represenatatives.

People are able to stand for election themselves.

Myself, I like to support the brainstormings of so-called (in a sneering kind of way?) 'crayonistas'. In such ruminations may be a seed of a great idea.

So, OP and others, keep on crayoning. I learn a lot along the way. Thank you for this Forum.

paul1609

Established Member
Its going to be the same with HS2 fast to Birmingham then stopping at every small station 10 miles apart to Leeds as the HS2 service to London will be seen as an essential status symbol amongst the competing Northern villages.
Ashford to Stratford International is 8 miles further than Manchester to Leeds but only supports one intermediate station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
BBC reporting closure of the airport:
Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) is to close after its owner said "no tangible proposals" had been received regarding its future ownership.
Peel Group said the closure was due to a "fundamental lack of financial viability".
On Friday, South Yorkshire's political leaders offered public money to keep DSA operating into 2023.
But Peel Group said services at the airport, which employs 800 workers, would wind down from 31 October.
South Yorkshire's mayor Oliver Coppard said he was "devastated by today's announcement" and angry about the impact the closure would have on local communities.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is already a thread ongoing regarding closure of the Airport.

As the airport is closing, this rail link remains a proposal for now. I'll lock this thread to avoid any discussion about airport closures in the wrong area.

Status
Not open for further replies.