• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Doncaster Sheffield Airport Rail Link Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
As someone who currently lives in Sheffield, it's the shoddy timing of flights into public transport that's putting me off using the Airport.

The X6 runs reasonably late, to about 11pm, but lots of flights land around 10pm onwards. If there's any delays then that's an expensive taxi home.

So naturally, I book from Manchester instead, have flights throughout the day, last train at 11:30pm. If something goes horribly wrong, I have a friend down the road in Stockport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ricoblade

Agreed!

If you were building our infrastructure from scratch then it's a reasonable enough location - not too far from a motorway, not too far from a railway, nice and flat and without the weather risks that affect Leeds Bradford.

Not always true, we got diverted to Leeds Bradford from DSA coming back from Ireland due to fog. No one at Leeds had a clue what was going on so we taxied it back.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@tbtc has it spot on for me.

I mean that scheme worked grand for Peel with Teesside Airport. Peel got £40m of tax payer money for selling their share in the airport after plenty of "the future is bleak" type stories. And I mean the future is still bleak of course but hey now I'm on the hook rather than the private sector so that's better somehow?

Peel weren't interested in running an airport. Plus I suspect you were always on the hook ;)

This would have avoided the need for DSA, LBIA, Humberside and possibly Teesside too, and combining all their passengers in a single airport would be more likely to achieve "critical mass" to sustain a decent range of services.

Agreed - it isnt the lack of a railway station holding back Doncaster International. It is a poor range of flights and destinations. Manchester is now the main airport for the north. It has great access and a great range of services. The railway station and much maligned by experts here TPE services are a massive part of that. They are not, however, the only part of that success.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Thank you @Cowley

Not entirely sure that this is the best thread but it appears that the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement includes funding for a station serving the airport. My assumption is that it is on the existing railway line (either Lincoln-Doncaster or the ECML)

Sorry, I have tried to quote the relevant part of the spreadsheet but .ods and my phone are not playing ball with the forum software.

class26

Thank you @Cowley

Not entirely sure that this is the best thread but it appears that the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement includes funding for a station serving the airport. My assumption is that it is on the existing railway line (either Lincoln-Doncaster or the ECML)
But there is a real chance the airport is going to close !

XAM2175

Established Member
But there is a real chance the airport is going to close !
There's a thread for that:

ChrisC

Established Member
The station would potentially still be useful, if the airport were to be redeveloped into badly-needed housing.
Even without the airport or the site developed for housing I’m sure a station at Finningley would be useful. Finningley and Blaxton are sizeable villages and there is already lots of new housing in the area. It should have potential for far higher passenger numbers than Reston!

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Even without the airport or the site developed for housing I’m sure a station at Finningley would be useful. Finningley and Blaxton are sizeable villages and there is already lots of new housing in the area. It should have penitential for far higher passenger numbers than Reston!
One thing to bear in mind is since this thread first saw the light of day, billions upon billions of finance has been Governmentally spent upon the effects caused by the Covid-19 pandemic with the result that the Treasury will view matters as they stand at this moment in time with regards to future infrastructural projects.

Incidentally, did you mean to say "potential" rather then "penitentional" in your final sentence above?

Last edited:

javelin

Thank you @Cowley

Sorry, I have tried to quote the relevant part of the spreadsheet but .ods and my phone are not playing ball with the forum software.

There you go,

Name of Scheme
Description
Completion date
Gateway East​
DfT Retained scheme
Stage 1 of Gateway East rail will see the construction of a railway station that would consist of:
Two platforms each 100m long with passive provision for extension to 150m long;
Lifts, stairs and overbridge;
Station building;
Station forecourt including:
*Bus stops for terminal shuttle buses and local services;
*Set-down and pick-up areas;
*Taxi rank;
*Cycle parking; and
Station car park notionally at 50 spaces​
DSA airport, DN9 3XA​
01/01/2024​
Full scheme (i.e. not just stage 1) post 2027​

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Even without the airport or the site developed for housing I’m sure a station at Finningley would be useful. Finningley and Blaxton are sizeable villages and there is already lots of new housing in the area. It should have potential for far higher passenger numbers than Reston!
A few sizeable villages won't make a business case in England (Scotland are a different matter, or law unto themselves if you prefer).
Having said that, a combined project that saw the closure of the level crossing and replacement with a bridge, a new station built, infill development around the station, and some high-quality cycle links to the villages within a 30 minute ride then this station could do very nicely with a 1tph service to Doncaster + peak extras.

Grimsby town

A few sizeable villages won't make a business case in England (Scotland are a different matter, or law unto themselves if you prefer).
Having said that, a combined project that saw the closure of the level crossing and replacement with a bridge, a new station built, infill development around the station, and some high-quality cycle links to the villages within a 30 minute ride then this station could do very nicely with a 1tph service to Doncaster + peak extras.

The villages may not but you also have Yorkshire Wildlife Park there which has 750k visit per year and has recently been expanded. Even if you can encourage 10% of those visitors to use rail that should be enough for a positive business case on it's own. Its a no brainer for a station on the Lincoln to Doncaster line if the service is increased to hourly. This proposal makes a lot more sense than diverting the ECML.

class26

The station would potentially still be useful, if the airport were to be redeveloped into badly-needed housing.
I suppose just like Stromeferry on the Kyle line where it says "Stromeferry - no ferry" so this could say "Doncaster airport - no airport" !

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suppose just like Stromeferry on the Kyle line where it says "Stromeferry - no ferry" so this could say "Doncaster airport - no airport" !
:D I'd personally be more pessiimistic and call it Finningley, with "for Doncaster Airport" as part of the publicity.

ricoblade

Is there any detail, I assume they have now ditched the "ECML spur/loop" idea and this will be on the Donny-Lincoln line but there is implication of a "spur" off that line to the airport.

ryansf

9939C939-6149-405A-97A3-9DB1DED7E7CB.jpegClosure aside, the initial works for the station were completed over ten years ago, including roundabout and bus stop. Interesting it’s taken so long to come to fruition!

Twingo37175

Thanks, interesting.
Speaking as a local, my house being on the image, I can assure you it looks wildly different now in that a lot of the field has now been built on with houses. Room for a station yes, but ain't going to be a great big Interchange.

ricoblade

Speaking as a local, my house being on the image, I can assure you it looks wildly different now in that a lot of the field has now been built on with houses. Room for a station yes, but ain't going to be a great big Interchange.

StreetView for Field Lane is May 2018 that finishes at a gate short of the roundabout at the end. Will have a look next time I'm getting some beer supplies from The Hive at YWP.

goatie

when i carried our site visits in 2002/04 with the survey team, the plan was to run a loop from just before finningley station

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Is Doncaster Sheffield Airport the new (ish) name for what was called Robin Hood Airport, I think there was also an airport at/near Sheffield for a few years, but now possibly closed down?

yoyothehobo

Is Doncaster Sheffield Airport the new (ish) name for what was called Robin Hood Airport, I think there was also an airport at/near Sheffield for a few years, but now possibly closed down?
There was sheffield city airport that is now an "advanced manufacturing facility" in Tinsley. I helped do the ground source heating boreholes for it, the runway was absolutely tiny.

zwk500

Veteran Member
when i carried our site visits in 2002/04 with the survey team, the plan was to run a loop from just before finningley station
As in a Loop for stopping passenger services on the Lincoln-Doncaster line, or a loop away from that line on a new alignment?

E27007

DSA has lost most of its carriers, Peel Group, owners of DSA, are stating if DSA is to continue to operate as a passenger airport, it will not be under their ownership.

Consultation is in progress with Doncaster Council as to the future of DSA.

The future of Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) has been thrown into doubt after bosses said the business "may no longer be commercially viable".

DSA's owner, the Peel Group, said a combination of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and a shortfall in passenger numbers had been exacerbated by the announcement in June that operator Wizz Air was quitting the airport. Tui is now the sole carrier....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.